Only 1 hard drive but there's a controller error on \Device\Harddisk4\DR4?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manikle

I went into Event Viewer and see that there is frequently the same error on Harddisk 1 and Harddisk4----BUT I only have 1 harddrive in my computer and have never had more than 1 harddrive.

It shows that "disk" is the source of Event 11
and the details state:
"The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk4\DR4"
OR
"The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk1\DR1"

There have been 359 instances of this error over the past 24 hours.

The other frequent error is: Event 1002 Source Dhcp Client
"The IP address lease 192.168.1.6 for the Network Card with network address 002268055E38 has been denied by the DHCP server"

My system does get some BSODs, though not daily, only once or twice a week, but it seems obvious that something is amiss if the Event Viewer shows so many daily errors--or do all computers have a large number of errors daily in the event viewer?
Thanks, in advance.

Re: those \Device\Harddisk4\DR4 type messages

I'm guessing those numeric disk numbers include USB storage devices (e.g. hard disks, memory cards, flash, etc.) Do you have any connected when you get these events? Try removing them to see if the events persist or stop.

Re: the DHCP errors
I see those type errors time to time as well. I think those can occur when it comes time for a device to ask your router to renew its IP address. But if all your network connected devices all seem to communicate on your network OK i don't think there's need to worry about them

Thanks for replying.
The router is only a few weeks old, so hopefully there's nothing amiss there. I did update the firmware when I installed it.
The only external device connected is a printer to a USB port.
No storage devices, though.
I suppose unplugging the printer until I need to print would answer the question of whether or not that was somehow being misinterpreted as a storage device.
It is troubling that there is also the same event code for harddisk 1.
Would a "controller error" indicate a software problem rather than a hardware problem?

1. I wouldn't worry about the router messages if your connections otherwise seem OK. just fyi.. I use a Netgear router (as well as my sister) and i see the same event log messages on all of my and their computers also so it at least doesn't always mean a real problem.

2. I'd be more concerned to figure out your controller error message as 359 instances are alot! But when i looked online, i find some links about the subject but not good clear and consistent info about it :( (Maybe someone else might know more? Or be able to give a better answer)

Do the errors still occur? During the time they seem to occur, try click Start->Run, enter diskmgmt.msc. Look at lower pane. How many Disks and CD devices does Windows report?

Thanks, LookinAround. I greatly appreciate your help.
Like you said, the online info is not very helpful.
I did find one decent tidbit of information.
You were apparently on the right track when you said that you thought removable drives could be included. One source states that the DR means Disk, Removable and the person had had problems with a thumb drive.
Thinking that it might refer to any USB devices, such as printers and speakers, etc., I disconnected my speakers and printer, but the error messages continue.
Diskmgmt.msc is showing only 2 drives--drive 0, which is the harddrive and drive 1 which states that it's removable. Looking in Computer, it shows drive D as "CF" though I'm not sure what that stands for. My CD/DVD drive is H.
Must have been tired when I posted, since I neglected to mention that I'm running Vista 64.

Looking in Computer, it shows drive D as "CF" though I'm not sure what that stands for.
What specific make/model computer do you have? CF usually means compact flash. I wonder if your computer comes equipped with an internal card reader?

Are the event log errors still occurring for both Harddisk1 and Harddisk4? Or did either stop?

Let;s try this. Unzip the attached file and extract both files to your desktop
> Double click DeviceInfo.bat to run it
> It should create file Device.txt on your Desktop. Attach it to your next post

That file should contain some info about your hard disk device names as well as the last 50 error messages in your System and Application event logs. So will see if it provides me any better clues

Attachments

• Device.zip
    177.5 KB · Views: 44
Sorry for not having given the system specs.
It's a Gateway FX6800-01e, which has an i7-920 cpu, ATI HD5850 w 512mb gpu and is running Vista Home 64 bit, with 6GB DDR3. The harddrive is a Seagate 750GB SATA
You were right that it has a built-in card reader.
Gateway describes it as :
"Gateway 15-in-1 media card reader with copy button"
Yesterday, I unplugged the speakers and printer from USB ports.
For unknown reasons, after about an hour, the event 11 errors ground to a halt.
There has been only 1 event 11 error over the past 24 hours, on Harddisk 3--absolutely none on any of the others.
I had windows search for an updated driver (in Device Manager) for the USB ports, but Windows claims that the driver is up to date.
It had said the same for my gpu driver, but Techspot had a link to the newest driver for that.
Is the "Update driver" feature in Device Driver typically unreliable?

1) Re: USB printer/speakers
I wouldn't guess that USB printer or speakers might be influencing that controller message but stranger things have happened. And, of course, with computers sometimes "who knows"? :D ! So i'm curious.. let me know if you seem to find a connection between the events and the printer/speakers being plugged in

2) Re: Windows Update
What i know about Windows Update
> Only MS tested, approved and digitally signed drivers go into the Windows Update Datatbase (DB)
What i'll guess
> Likely some lag time between the time drivers are approved and available from the mfr vs. when they actually make into the Windows Update DB
> I'm also guessing mfr probably must be willing to pay MS a fee to maintain their driver in the update DB
So while is good to try updating from update DB, at the same time i wouldn't rely on it to find all drivers

3) Re: Controller error events
Did you have a card in the reader when the events occured or was it empty all the time? If all those events return you can try running that .bat file as per prior post. The first part of the .txt output should hopefully contain a list of currently detected storage /Device strings and their associated drive letters. Might help to know for certain which is which when it complains. (is also possible, i'm not sure, that some /Device string assignments might change after a reboot sometimes.

Thanks for your reply, LookinAround.
Strangely, it does seem to be the printer which caused the event 11 errors.
I plugged it back in to the USB port and the errors resumed. Unplugged it and they ceased.
Wishing to have a printer usable at a moment's notice, I got un-lazy and updated my printer driver, so the printer connects to my router, instead.
There was nothing in the card reader, so my computer must be a bit senile :haha:

LOL

And thanks for the feedback about your USB printer. Now i've had a chance to learn something new as well! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back