Open Forum: Your Game of the Year 2017?

midian182

Staff member

As the year draws to a close, it’s time to look back on the PC gaming landscape of 2017. While loot boxes cast a Death Star-sized shadow over the industry, plenty of brilliant titles arrived on our favorite platform during this period. For this weekend open forum, we want to know which PC game released over the last 12 months you loved the most.

Personally, the game I couldn’t get enough of this year was Divinity: Original Sin II. After spending almost 100 hours completing it, I look forward to restarting the epic RPG with a different character. The only thing stopping me is all the other great games I’m still playing.

Assassin’s Creed: Origins shows how much a year off can benefit a long-running franchise. There’s also the amazing What Remains of Edith Finch to consider. First-person shooter fans might put Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus or Destiny 2 forward, while horror/sci-fi lovers could argue for Resident Evil 7 and Prey.

Other contenders might include Cuphead, Total War: Warhammer II, and Torment: Tides of Numenera. And there’ll surely be those who say Steam’s most popular game, PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds, deserves to take the crown.

Were any of these games your favorite? Perhaps you feel a lesser-known title deserves the Game of 2017 award. Whatever your thoughts, do let us know in the comments below.

Permalink to story.

Tiger Knight, it has not officially released but it is free to play on steam. It's combat system resembles mount and blade. Yet it is a action oriented multiplayer based game. With various in game goals and match types. The tiered armor\weapons\troops\upgrades make it more then just a multiplayerfest. You actually grind toward something, be it new armor, new troops, a new adjutant(sidekick) or a barracks extension etc. It has around 5 types of currency gained by match type and or in game actions.

Its also worth noting the tiered troops are complimented with a tiered match making system. Low level troops fight in matches against other low level troops. If higher level troops are present you get more low level troops to make up the difference.

But you don't need to get over whelmed by the depth of the upgrade system. You can simply start up and enjoy the carnage. The only thing you really want to save is gold, which comes few and far between.

Last edited:
"Personally, the game I couldn’t get enough of this year was Divinity: Original Sin II."
Same here. You only have to look at the keyb & mouse optimized 30-slot quickbar on that screenshot to see this is a developer that puts PC gamers first and doesn't water down the PC UI due to cross platform dumbing down.

"A Hat In Time" (way better than Yooka Laylee) and Cuphead were the 2x best platformers for different reasons. Thimbleweed Park was the best point & click adventure as it actually felt like a old-school P&C, and not just a new game "trying too hard to be old school" with pixel-art alone.

Assassin’s Creed: Origins shows how much a year off can benefit a long-running franchise
Nope. AC:O gets a thumbs down from me for broken DRM. That's the main reason it runs like a turd and no deliberately crippled game deserves any GOTY award regardless of the hype or sparkly bits. Quite honestly 2017 has been an appalling year for many major "AAA" titles that didn't have one problem or another. For me Larian & CDPR have quietly become the new AAA's who still make what actually feel like whole completed premium games, so Divinity Original Sin 2 absolutely deserves it above the cheap & tacky feeling loot box / pay2win / MT-saturated generic shovelware shooters.

Personally, the game I couldn’t get enough of this year was Divinity: Original Sin II
Same. I played through twice now.

Even got a group going to play the DM mode (though the holidays kinda screwed that up lol).

Of the games I played, and not the games that were released this year, I will have to say Yoshi's Island DS. I was going to say Metroid II: The Return of Samus for the original Game Boy, but that's because it's more fresh in my head. It's interesting how that works out.

For me, it's definitely VA-11 Hall-A: Cyberpunk Bartender Action. Lovely game. It was relaxing, deep and it had a phenomenal soundtrack to boot. You feel completely immersed in its universe when playing, and I'm usually not a fan of "visual novel" (not really fair to call it a full visual novel, but it's the closest comparison) style games.

Aside from that, I'd say my second favorite game would be... Uhm...

You know what, I'm drawing a blank here. Not that many games came out this year that interested me. Everything felt pretty lukewarm. Origins was OK, Andromeda was garbage, Dishonored 2 wouldn't even run on my PC... Divinity Original Sin 2 was great, but other than that, nothing.

Now, NEXT year, on the other hand... Some exciting stuff could be coming next year - or at least a release date for exciting stuff (Cyberpunk 2077, Bannerlord, Starfield[?]).

Pantheon: Rise of the fallen, is going to sneak up on a lot of people.

It is an oldschool classic MMORPG, built upon the old tenets that your Character's have to earn it. Based off the original EverQuest, Pantheon release in 2019 is sure to rock the MMORPG space. (Or, totally rewrite MMORPG genre)

I don't recall any 2017 games I played* that are worth the title. The only big releases I tried were SW: Battlefront 2 and Shadow of War. Both are good, but far from great. Still, I'm going to invest quite some time into Divinity: Original Sin 2, Cuphead, Wolfenstein II and Torment next year.

My personal gaming 2017 was mostly about older games (Evil Islands, TES III and V, Warband, KotOR 2) and Switch titles - BOTW, Splatoon 2, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Super Mario Odyssey. Switch basically stole my heart, even though I've always been a PC guy.

*Except for DOS II, but I've only played it for a couple of hours yet.

Games I played this year rather than released this year :
Neon Chrome.
Great dystopian cyberpunk twin stick shooter
Nioh.
The combat system puts everything else to shame. Funny thing: before actually playing it, I just called it "ninja souls". But it has definitely earned its place regarding originality and overall quality.

For PlayStation 4 I have to give it to Elite: Dangerous — I could not get enough of the original Elite on my Commodore 64 back in the 80's and I can't get enough of this awesome reboot. In fact, I had to stop playing it because I could see where it was going and I couldn't go there because, well, I have to pay bills … and sleep.

For PC the hands-down winner of best game in 2017 is Darkwood. Top-down survival horror is not what I expected to knock my socks off, but Acid Wizard really pulled it off with this one. It's dark, and creepy, and surprisingly has a good fear factor, which I really did not expect for this type of game.

For the Xbox One I have no choice but to go with Cuphead. No. I literally mean I have no choice. Microsoft was practically devoid of any top-shelf exclusives this year. Well, there was Forza Motorsport 7, but that's so cliche. However, that does not detract from Cuphead being a great game on the XB1. I love the old time animation style and the frantic gameplay. The only thing I didn't like about it is the difficulty. I found it frustratingly hard at times (aka the bosses), but not enough to make me rage quit. Oh, but Captain Brineybeard? Yeah that guy can kiss my ...

Last edited:
Games I played this year rather than released this year :
Neon Chrome.
Great dystopian cyberpunk twin stick shooter
Nioh.
The combat system puts everything else to shame. Funny thing: before actually playing it, I just called it "ninja souls". But it has definitely earned its place regarding originality and overall quality.

I've been vacillating on whether I should get Neon Chrome or not. That and JYDGE (Judge) both intrigue me. On an honest 1 to 10 scale, what would you rank Neon Chrome?

Sorry guys, it's PUBG by a landslide!

I've got over 400 hours in and I still, am not very GOOD at this game. Decent maybe, but luck is part of the fun for sure. But one thing is true, the game is very addicting!

I've been vacillating on whether I should get Neon Chrome or not. That and JYDGE (Judge) both intrigue me. On an honest 1 to 10 scale, what would you rank Neon Chrome?
I have both neon chrome and jydge. I would say they are the same game with different rules. I usually don't do scales, but if I really had to, I would give Neon Chrome a solid 9/10 or even a perfect 5/7. I'm a sucker for cyberpunk themed stuff and I might be biased in my judgment. But, IMHO, the game is that good and the only thing I missed was some kind of dash/fast movement button. But then again, I like to be the "ferret on cocaine" in every game I play.
Look, the game has classes, tons of different weapons, grenades, a lot of different cyber augmentations. I can't imagine a person not enjoying it. You probably have heard of a game called "ruiner", which I intend to buy. But people have said it's not that great. And if I may recommend the best twin stick shooter ever, "HellDivers". There's nothing like it. Although, you might want to play this game in hazmat suit. Most toxic community I've ever seen.

2017 wasn't that interesting in terms of game releases for me. I played Fortnite with friends and it turned out to be a lot of fun. Can't remember if any other game I played was from this year. Curious to see other peoples picks.

Played FC Blood Dragon, Dishonored 2, Dying Light. The one I spent the most time on? Candy Crush Saga up to level 2480 after five years and it ain't cost me but $10 early on.

Best games of decade: Not in that order
Dragon age origins
Crysis trilogy + warhead
Mass Effect Trilogy
Dead Space 1 and 2
Witcher 3 saga
Most underrated gem : Risen 1 (true open world feel)
honorable mention: Dishonored

Still waiting for games to top these..........................

Back