Opera 11.60 released with a slew of improvements

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

The world's most underappreciated browser has reached a new milestone today, unloading the final version of 11.60. Codenamed "Tunny" (another name for the tuna fish), the latest revision brings a handful of new features along with various security and stability improvements. Although the company originally planned to offer version 12 as the next stable build, it has decided to make some of the new features available sooner with an interim release.

Download: Windows | Mac OS X | Linux | More

Opera 11.60 is said to be quicker when opening or closing the software, it's faster on secure pages, it's more compatible with the Web, and the latest software uses less memory than its predecessors on "advanced web applications." Feature-wise, you'll find a revamped address bar that includes a Star button to instantly add pages to your bookmarks or Speed Dial, while the browser's email client has been overhauled with a cleaner, more intuitive design.

If you're bored on this uneventful Tuesday evening, Opera's spirited press release offers some cheap laughs. "Almost 50% of the world’s population has never tried a new browser -- people in your own town, maybe even someone you know. Why not help them discover something better this year? A new browser is a gift that keeps giving all year round," it claims, before offering some car analogies and a top ten list of reasons you should download Opera now.

opera

Despite offering a snappy, feature-packed alternative to the usual suspects, Opera has failed to gain significant headway in the desktop market. Based on recent figures by StatCounter, the browser holds less than a 2% share worldwide, whereas Google's three-year-old contender has already surpassed Firefox. Chrome represents 25.7% of the market, up from just 4.66% two years ago, while Firefox has a 25.23% share and Internet Explorer holds over 40%.

Permalink to story.

Just updated, thanks for the heads up. :)

I thought I was using 11.60, turns out I was using 11.52. I wonder why I was thinking I had 11.60 installed.

I find it amazing too, that more persons are not using Opera. I'm convinced that most are not aware of all of Operas features. Opera has always been in the forefront when it comes to usable features, i.e. Tabs, Speed Dial, Mouse Gestures, even the ability to resume "paused" downloads! The latter was the reason I first tried Opera in the late '90s. I've yet to find another browser with all of Operas features. I've heard users say that they didn't care for Operas appearance, when Opera is the most "customizable" browser. I can make it look like anything I like! For example, I prefer the Tabs to appear at the bottom of the page, so I just right-click on one, select "move to bottom" and they appear at the bottom! It's also very fast loading and displaying web pages. One advantage of having so few fans make it probably the most safe and secure browser available.

I just had firefox crush on me after being ultra slow lately....currently experimenting chrome...what's your oppinion, is there a significant difference between chrome and new opera...I mean chrome looks and works pretty flowless at least in comparison to firefox...any oppinions about this?

Opera is amazing I've been using it for years and I can't imagine the internet with another Browser!!

Chrome probably has those numbers because almost all free software comes with it. I had uninstall Chrome many times after downloading another software, it's really amazing how annoying Chrome can be!

The Guide said:
I just had firefox crush on me after being ultra slow lately....currently experimenting chrome...what's your oppinion, is there a significant difference between chrome and new opera...I mean chrome looks and works pretty flowless at least in comparison to firefox...any oppinions about this?

Well I've tried both and I can tell you Opera is far better and if you use all its features you'll find it even better.

Chrome is probably a little faster. So if you want a pure browser with minimal features that is probably the one to use. Opera is pretty fast too and has a ton of features built in, without needing extensions/add ons. There are also some privacy concerns with Chrome, but those concerns are alleviated with Chromium.

Edit:

Peacekeeper Test Results for my system:
Opera 11.6 1955
Firefox 8.0.1 1240
IE 9 (32bit) 1150
IE 9 (64bit) 765

I don't have Chrome, so didn't test it.

SNGX and others, am I missing something or can you not drag and drop tabs between different windows? If I have a window with six tabs, I can drag any of them out to create new separate windows, but I can't drag multiple tabs to the same window. It's hard to describe, but it's basic functionality available on any other browser I've tried. What's the secret?

@ Matthew, I'd never tried that, mostly because I don't often use multiple windows. But I tried it anyway and here is what happened to me: I drug a tab to a new window, it moved fine, all was good. Then I tried to move another tab to that window, and my tab in the other window came back to the original window (wtf?). So my new window now had the last tab I drug as the only tab. This seems pretty odd to me, so I'm not sure.

Yeah, that's what I've experienced. I move tabs all over the place so it's a major drawback for me. It's very odd that Opera doesn't support this. IE, Safari, Chrome and Firefox can do it.

Peackeepr benchmark gave me this result

for Chrome 15 (current)

I am genuinely surprised Opera has not caught on more than a 2% share...i guess there is no accounting for taste.

That's the best press release I've read in a while. "Justin Bieber doesn?t use it" -- what a great reason to switch to Opera.

I've used Opera in the past, and switched back to it once from Firefox when it got on my nerves, but I switched back because there's nothing like Firefox's configurability. As a tab hoarder Tab Utilities (for multi-row) plus Tab Group Manager really help my life. Opera supports multi tab rows out of the box, but it didn't work right with grouping tabs and configuring it is a total pain (requiring editing skins for things like changing tab width).

I still use Opera on my Android phone, because it's very fast and convenient.

Some elements are still rendered incorrectly, it still doesn't support drag and drop in gmail, even though it's html5test score has gone up by a lot, bookmarks are still placed in the wrong order on the personal bar, password maker still has no extension for it (widgets don't count)...

Some image heavy pages still scroll very slowly (see space.com ). Still no 64 bit version.

These are my issues with Opera right now.

I used to use Opera when it was ad supported. Even bought it several times for the version without adverts. Mouse gestures and ease of use keep me using it, although I'm sure there is a lot more under the hood (to use the car analogy) that I'm not using.

darkzelda said:

Well I've tried both and I can tell you Opera is far better and if you use all its features you'll find it even better.

Well until firefox crushed on me, I thought it was the best browser(seemed better at the time then IE which was good enough for me), but then it started and kept crushing...had also other problems with it.

Have a friend who uses opera a long time and another that I am in more contact with lately using chrome, so on his suggestion I switched to chrome. By doing some casual browsing, I found this post and since I am currently in between browsers (makes me feel like I'm in between two nice newly met girls :D ) and am a bit confused which one to choose since I am kind of loyal once I get with a good match. If Opera has better overall functionalities I might as well go for it. Btw, currently my comp is an old hag, 1,3Ghz AMD Duron with only 992 RAM so if you folks have a suggestion which of the browsers is more compatible with a lesser comp as well as being good, pls let of know. My ears are all open (btw sry I didn't mention the fact my comp is antique before asking this).

The GREAT: Opera is fast, appears to be secure, and looks good on the desktop. I want to see only tab bar, address bar and bookmark bar. Three nice, narrow, equal bars. I use a 27" monitor but I still can't stand other browers whose headers take up more space.

The SMART: I'm the sort of techhie guy who abhors bloat (as in Firefox after 3.6.23), especially if it requires me to learn new tricks just to get rid of the unwanted new stuff. After I spent some time learning Opera menu settings, I started to appreciate how much control the user is given. The opera:config online utility is a bonus on top of the menu settings, a brilliant idea.

The WISE: Opera pays due respect to the Microsoft mantra [where "default" is always to the lowest common denominator, and users are assumed to be dumb] but it takes pains to make it easy for a user to become better. It earns my respect.

The Guide said:
crush crush crush

The Guide, I don't know why you keep using that word, but I'm pretty sure you mean "crash" not "crush". Unless firefox physically crushed you, in which case, I'd suggest you try a new browser ASAP.

I've been using Opera since 3.6, when you had to buy; that's how good it is. IE used 56bit encryption for 'secure' web pages, and O used 128. This is in the late nineties, folks. Opera fit on a HD floppy, and I could listen to jazz from Maine, read news, and trade stocks on a 56K dial-up. I had no reason to go broadband until it was the same price as dial-up. With a MSFT machine, you rip out IE, and use the 95 explorer if you got the old cd's, install O and you gots a fast, stable, machine where BSOD is but a memory. Never infected running O, and almost never used anti programs as they just slowed things down. W7 is like going back in time--how slow can you go? I've been making sellers give me a discount because W7 is on the computer; and just as soon as I can I wipe that dog**** offa the hard drive.

install O and you gots a fast, stable, machine where BSOD is but a memory.
This is funny insinuating the use of Opera will solve all BSOD's. I do love Opera but thats a bit far fetched.

From my own perspective all my BSOD's have been hardware related.
  • Re-seating all PC components usually helped.
  • Or re-adjusting Over-Clocking settings.
Using Opera would hardly fix those issues. LOL

I use all 4 a lot. Here's my order:

Chrome - fast and fairly stable, even with lots of extensions. A memory hog though so need lots of memory.

Firefox - gotten faster, not very stable, tons of extensions but they can slow it down and can annoy in other ways (update incompatibilities).

Opera - very good, maybe great for some but not lean and mean like Chrome and limited extensions though most will not be needed.

IE9 - come a long way but it will take a decade of good news before I will ever trust Microsoft with anything as important as a web browser. They caused way too much suffering to so many (especially web developers) with their proprietary leanings.

Back