Opera lawsuit says former employee took trade secrets to Mozilla

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Browser maker Opera has filed a lawsuit against a former employee, alleging he shared trade secrets with rival Mozilla. Designer and musician Trond Werner Hansen is on the hook for 20 million Norwegian Krone, or about $3.4 million in damages according to a report from TNW.

Hansen worked with Mozilla as recently as last year when he helped design and develop a prototype browser for the iPad under the codename Junior. As evidence, Opera highlighted a video of Hansen speaking about the project with Firefox product design lead Alex Limi. It’s not so much what Hansen discusses in the video that got them upset but rather what Limi was showing – innovations that Opera was or still is working on.

Opera’s lawyer, Bing Hodneland Advokatselskap partner Ole E. Tokvam, said in a note to TNW that the dispute is pending before the courts and as such, they choose not to comment on the case in detail. That said, they did confirm that Hansen was a former employee and consultant at Opera and that they are of the opinion that Hansen acted contrary to his contractual and other legal obligations towards Opera, the duty of loyalty and his confidentiality obligations.

Hansen was employed by Opera from 1999 through 2000 and again as a consultant from 2009 to 2010. He is reportedly responsible for a number of early browser innovations that first came to light in Opera software such as speed dial, tabbed browsing, integrated search and mouse gestures.

Permalink to story.

As small time as Opera is, I kinda doubt that to be the case. Seriously what would Mozilla want with anything from Opera? At least the dollar amount is not outrage, to the tune of billions.

PS. I am an Opera user, so I'm not prejudice against them.

That is sad. I love my Opera over Chrome and FF.
I've use all 3 almost daily for testing, but I always end up on Opera. Chrome is a second for Google use, but that is about it.

Oh, Opera..what must you be thinking. This is not a good use of time and resources. If these were good ideas and if they were yours first, why didn't you get them out in front earlier? Is it because you now regret the lost opportunity? The better solution is to deliver the next best thing.

Back