Operating system not found?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grey Pirate

Hi,I have an old compaq presario 1275,I would like to put windows xp on it but it won't let me because it says it already has an operating system,when I try to start it it says "operating system not found".If I can't put xp on it I would at least like to have the windows 98 working.I am not really computer savvy so some simple,or step by step directions would be greatly appreciated,thank-you :^)

Hi,
If the PC says operating system not sound then generally.....there is no operating system. Just because it says that doesn't mean its still there. Also when you come to install XP you will be given the option to remove any old installs of an OS.

Ive written some basic instructions HERE on how to reformat and install XP. They are basic and Ive just released some of the images have gone. I'm working on that now so hopefully they will be there when you look.

Hi

Thanks for the help.I was trying to uninstall and reinstall win 98,now I can't get it to run(keep getting "Real time clock error")so I tried to install win xp and it won't let me,it says "cannot continue.....os already on)SO right now I have "E:\WIN98>"and the blinking cursor
i think I've did something to the partition???if I could get win 98 back to running I would be VERY happy,it's not mine and I'm told it's not worth taking to get repaired...

Hmm well if you want to get Windows 98 going again i'm pretty sure you can download it now. I think the copyright has run out on it.
If so then you can download whats called an .iso file and burn it to CD.

However if you have a windows 98 CD already you can do either a fresh install or a repair install.
If there's nothing on there of value then a fresh install is always encouraged.

If you'd prefer XP then you could nuke the drive but it sounds like your more intent on running 98.

I would like to do either a repair or fresh install but i don't know how,keep getting error msgs,I have a win 98 cd,it wouldnt let me install,saying it's already there.How do I do either a repair or a fresh install?

right now I haveError:0270 : Real time clock error
save to disk file not found
save to disk feature is disabled
Run Phdisk for information: FILE: create new
PARTITION: consult manual
Hit any key to exit

Are these all possible selection items?

EG what happens when you pres run Phdisk?
Is FILE create new art of the Phdisk option?

Sorry never installed 98 before :p

I can't press them,they're an error message on the screen,in a red box.at the bottom of the screen I can press either "F1 to boot" or "F10 computer set up"

I pressed "F1 to boot" it runs a printout of basic tests,all good I think,and stops with
"A:\>" followed by a blinking cursor

Hi,I have an old compaq presario 1275,I would like to put windows xp on it
I think it's time to update ;)

I have a win 98 cd,it wouldnt let me install,saying it's already there.How do I do either a repair or a fresh install?

right now I haveError:0270 : Real time clock error
save to disk file not found
save to disk feature is disabled
Run Phdisk for information: FILE: create new
PARTITION: consult manual
Hit any key to exit
So now you want 98 on it, and it has errors :confused:

Here's what you do, remove the Partition (the free Gparted live CD can help there)
If it still doesn't work, then throw away, or try replacing the internal Harddrive (or data cable) to one that works (either way is good)

Solved :grinthumb

@rev_olie, I think this one is a losing battle ;)

Hi it's not mine or I would have already "fixed" it with a hammer,how do i remove the partition and what is "the free Gparted live cd"? thanks

well...first you should ask some friend that has a knowledge about reinstalling windows. Then you should ask him to teach you to familirize in every types of windows formatting or reinstallation...that's the best for now

Ok well without reading the google search :p
The Gparted live CD (or Gnome PARTition EDitor if you use the full name) is basically an operating system that's small enough to fit on a memory stick (pend drive flash drive what ever you call it) or a DVD.

This is then put in your PC and loaded up. Simples
Most people believe that for an operating system to work it has to be loaded onto a hard drive and run from there but now with better compression and new ways of thinking (i sound like a presidential ad campaigner) thing have gotten smaller. Other examples of this would be the Linux based Knoppix which is run each time of the CD so you could one day instead of having an OS on every machine you may just walk in with your own OS load it up and every PC will be the same for you.

So basically this IS the OS.

It probably could work actually whether or not with 98 i don't know?

Here is a step by step guide to editing the partitions with the OS on a stick:
http://www.howtoforge.com/partitioning_with_gparted

Here's were you can download:
http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php

And Techspot is the place for support :D
(whether or not Kim has given up on this is a question for another day, haha :p)

Is the problem that you have a Windows 98 CD and you simply want to install Windows 98 onto the old Compaq PC (that had W98 originally)? The procedure for installing Windows 98 is slightly different from installing Windows XP. Instead of booting from the CD like you do with XP, for Windows 98 you start the process with a bootable floppy. Of course, you set the floppy as the first boot device in the BIOS. Once the PC boots from the floppy, you get the Windows 98 Setup Menu. Select option #1 and you then can setup from the Windows 98 CD. For a step by step, go here: http://www.windowsreinstall.com/win98/install98floppy/indexfullpage.htm

If you don't have a bootable floppy disk, you can easily create one on a Windows 98 PC or you can make one from the internet. Just google for it or you can try this site: http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

Just make sure you use the right version, that is, Windows 98 or Windows 98SE, whichever is applicable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back