Operating system not found

I did a factory reset on my HP Pavilion g series laptop and it was all going so well. It was on the preparing to reset screen and it was around 34-36 percent. But someone accidentally knocked off the battery and it came off. When I turned it on again, it said something like "Operating System not found." Please help me, I need the laptop for my thesis.

The partition table has been damaged. You will need a bootable tool to attempt a repair. Meanwhile, start planning for a reinstall OR a new purchase.

When you computer is booting, the BIOS will find a system on your hard drive to boot to. If there is not any system, the computer doesn't know where to go, so it gives you a message for troubleshooting. Below are the main reasons why Windows operating system is missing.

1. The computer input/output system (BIOS) does not detect the hard disk drive.

2. The hard disk is damaged or corrupted.

3. Master Boot Record (MBR) on hard drive is broken. Note that some third-party programs or disk operations can damage an MBR.

4. An incompatible partition is marked as Active.

5. A partition that contains the MBR is no longer active.

Actually:
  • Master Boot Record (MBR) The Master Boot Record, created when you create the first partition on the hard disk, is probably the most important data structure on the disk. It is the first sector on every disk. The location is always track (cylinder) 0, side (head) 0, and sector 1.
It will point into the active partition into which the OS was installed. Kind of obvious that the MBR must be outside all partitions; otherwise boot would need to examine every active partition. There's also an obvious issue with a fixed location; if that sector goes bad, the HD will not be usable for booting (yes, this sector can not be relocated).

The UEFI secure boot does not rely upon sector 0,0,1 and is thus more reliable as well as secure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back