Opinion: The death of general compute

Jay Goldberg

Staff
Why it matters: The way we build compute is changing. As everyone seeks ways to cope with the slowing of Moore's Law, companies are going to need to move away from general purpose chips like CPUs and GPUs. To squeeze more performance out of our hardware, we are going to need to build more integrated, complex solutions that tie hardware and software more tightly together.

Once upon a time chip companies all specialized on designing one type of chip: Intel made CPUs; Qualcomm made modems; Nvidia made GPUs; Broadcom (pre-Avago) made networking chips. That age is all over. The future of semis will be designing ever more specific chips for ever more specific uses. This change will take many years to play out, but the transition has already begun. This is going to upend the semis industry to the same degree that consolidation over the past 20 years has.

Editor's Note:
Guest author Jonathan Goldberg is the founder of D2D Advisory, a multi-functional consulting firm. Jonathan has developed growth strategies and alliances for companies in the mobile, networking, gaming, and software industries.

There are many causes of this. The simplest is to just say Moore's Law is slowing, so everyone needs to find a new business model. But that does not explain much, so let's unpack it. In the misty past before 2010, Moore's Law meant that chips got 'faster' or 'better' every two years or so. If some customer had a special-purpose chip they needed, they could go out and design their own, but by the time they could get that chip to production, the new CPUs were coming into production, and those usually proved better than the purpose-built chip under design.

Then Moore's Law slowed, we lack sufficient PhD's to say it is over, but it has definitely slowed. So everyone now has to work a bit harder to squeeze performance gains out of their silicon designs. Most obviously, this has opened the doors to all the Roll Your Own silicon coming out from hardware and hyperscaler companies, but the changes are set to blow way past that.

The whole point of a semiconductor is to run some form of software. As we said, in the past, we could win performance gains for that software from denser chips, but now companies are going to have to look at the software side of the problem a bit more closely. Google rolled out its TPU because they wanted something that ran their AI algorithms better. They rolled out the VCU for the same reason, and that chip was actually designed by software engineers. Same story for Apple and its M- and A- series processors. In all of these, the whole point is to optimize the silicon for the software.

Not everyone is going to want or be able to roll their own chips, and so we are starting to see a host of intermediary chips that are not single-type, general purpose compute nor are they entirely customized. AMD's recently-acquired Pensando DPUs are a good example of this intermediary step.

Once upon a time, data centers were essentially warehouses full of CPUs. Now they have to house GPUs, AI accelerators, funky networking loads and a bunch of FPGAs, too. This is often called heterogeneous compute, and it's the opposite of that past CPU uniformity.

Nor are these changes only happening in data centers. The whole notion of "Edge Compute" looks increasingly to be an exercise in custom and semi-custom silicon popping up in all kinds of places – cars, factories and smart cities – to name just a few.

Ultimately, the major chip companies are going to have to decide how to address these changes. Building custom chips is not a great business, but designing semi-custom chips is full of risks not least picking the right designs, supporting them and hoping they land on target.

Established companies are already starting to position themselves for this, and for the first time in a decade the door for start-ups is starting to open a crack.

Permalink to story.

Good piece. Touches on what my general thoughts on compute space seems to be headed over the last few years, both in enterprise and general consumer space.
It's still a bit odd to think that our GPU's now come with AI compute units slapped onto them now, for example.

Seeing the semiconductor revolution happen is about as close as I'll be able to get to my grandfather witnessing the entire technological revolution/evolution happen, which is something I bet was an absolutely amazing experience to witness.

The author completely ignores that the need for these speed increases is a general lazy approach to programming. Programmers today have developed an attitude to design for the next fastest processor rather than current or past processors. Back in the day of 8 bit processors (yes, I'm old and used to program in COBAL) we all figured this was it and if a new processor came along our programs would be super fast and they were. Let's get back in touch with what really makes a computer fast or slow and quit blaming the equipment.

The author completely ignores that the need for these speed increases is a general lazy approach to programming. Programmers today have developed an attitude to design for the next fastest processor rather than current or past processors. Back in the day of 8 bit processors (yes, I'm old and used to program in COBAL) we all figured this was it and if a new processor came along our programs would be super fast and they were. Let's get back in touch with what really makes a computer fast or slow and quit blaming the equipment.

While I totally understand with that viewpoint, we have to acknowledge that modern workloads are increasing at stupid rates. Of course, It mostly due to the unnecessary collection of massive amounts of data that have no bearing on the job at hand. Welcome to Orwellian computing.

I started programming on ~1 MHz computers and yeah to squeeze any speed out of those dinosaurs I just went directly to Assembly. Was a royal pain and not forward enough thinking as it's not terribly transferable to different CPUs, but solved the problems at the time. The time consuming routines were Assembly while the UI was in BASIC.

+1 Lazy

I blame windows!

If programmers used super efficient code wouldnt that only help? looking at say, smartphones, they seem to use a lot of hardware horsepower to push some pretty simple apps.

same with gaming, look at how well doom eternal runs compared to some other games, really seems like we'd help ourselves in the long run with better made applications.

"Once upon a time chip companies all specialized on designing one type of chip: Intel made CPUs; Qualcomm made modems; Nvidia made GPUs; Broadcom (pre-Avago) made networking chips."

I wasn't aware that modems were chips. Also, the pioneer of modems wasn't Qualcomm, it was Hayes.

The author completely ignores that the need for these speed increases is a general lazy approach to programming.
This sentiment reminds me of an article from a high-performance computing magazine of the early 1980s. The author was actually livid over the appearance of computers with 64 kilobytes (not megabytes) of RAM. Why? Because "any program could be written in under 48K" -- and thus having more memory would lead to sloppy programming.

Back