Opinions on Core i7-920?

andoyan

Hello All,
i am trying to built a new pc and heard about the i920 can anyone give me an opinion as for this cpu, and also i am looking to put about 12 gig of ram in it, it is not a gaming pc but I am going to do allot of graphic with it. what type of mother board should I choose? is this a good chose?
thank you all for your help.
jon

The i7 920 is a good processor but it's been replaced by the i7 930 which is also a good processor.

As far as motherboards it really depends on your needs and price range.

like JMMD stated, both the 920 and 930 processors are great, with the 930 having a slightly faster stock speed. i believe the 920 has better overclocking headroom, but most people don't get into that sort of thing. there are plenty of good options for motherboards in the $120-$250 price range, so find the features you need, read the reviews and make a decision based on the results. if you need an idea of where to start, ASUS, Gigabyte, MSI and EVGA are the more mainstream brands. i recommend the X58 chipset but boards with P55 are also good.

ASUS, Gigabyte, MSI and EVGA are the more mainstream brands. i recommend the X58 chipset but boards with P55 are also good.
This is a bit ambiguous. As you know P-55 is socket LGA1156. X-58 is the only compatible chipset for an i7-920 or 930. (LGA1366).

950 is the same price as the 930 now. Will pick one up soon, already got my X58 mobo. Supposedly, all the 9xx CPUs OC cap is around 4.5 GHz, so get whatever is cheapest if you are OC'ing, if not, go 950.

Back