Oppo F1 Smartphone Review: A budget contender to the Moto G

Scorpus

Staff member

There are loads and loads of cheap Android smartphones on the market, but only a handful are actually worth buying. We’ve seen Motorola really dominate this segment with their Moto G andMoto E devices over the last few years, and they’ve frequently featured in my recommended smartphone purchases. Oppo is another company that has been impressing users with great handsets on a budget, and today I have the $200 Oppo F1.

The F1 is loaded with a collection of very respectable hardware for the price. Inside is an octa-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 616 SoC to power a 5.0-inch 720p display, all in a slim metal body. Oppo claims the cameras are the star of the show, particularly the 8-megapixel shooter on the front, alongside the 2.5D Gorilla Glass 4 that protects the display. The battery is a tad small at just 2,500 mAh, but generally the hardware stacks up to similar products on the market.

Read the complete review.

I'm wary of these cheap Chinese offerings. I'd rather spend the extra and get a proper branded device with a proper UI. You always get what you pay for.

I'm wary of these cheap Chinese offerings. I'd rather spend the extra and get a proper branded device with a proper UI. You always get what you pay for.

The Color UI is as good if not better than that of the Stock Google Nexus range! Unfortunately the reviewer prefers that of the top of the range Samsung devices - as you can see with his other posts!

There is a small learning curve, however their implementation beats in my experience that of Samsung, HTC and the stock Google offering! Yes Marshmallow is not available, but if you look at large numbers of phones sold by ASUS, Samsung, HTC, etc, they still have not upgraded to Marshmallow. In fact Motorola only did the rollout a month ago for the Moto G.

The Color UI is as good if not better than that of the Stock Google Nexus range! Unfortunately the reviewer prefers that of the top of the range Samsung devices - as you can see with his other posts!

There is a small learning curve, however their implementation beats in my experience that of Samsung, HTC and the stock Google offering! Yes Marshmallow is not available, but if you look at large numbers of phones sold by ASUS, Samsung, HTC, etc, they still have not upgraded to Marshmallow. In fact Motorola only did the rollout a month ago for the Moto G.
I'm not saying these Chinese devices are bad but I remain wary of them. Who knows, maybe in a few years I'll own one but for now I stick with the branded products.
What I do like about their UI's is the fact they ditch the app drawer altogether, A more useless "feature" I've yet to see. I disable/uninstall everything I don't use and put everything else into folders on only one homescreen.

This review was so disappointing, a software is automatically bad because it's not stock, it's like reviewing a Mac and gave them a bad review because it's not windows, if they tried to make it like stock and failed I would understand but they are clearly not trying. Why is it wrong to have the back button on the right side of the device? It's not 6.0 what features are you missing, is Google the ultimate take on mobile software, and something that differs is automatically wrong? Most of the 6.0 features have been in Color OS and other Chinese custom ROMs for more than 2 years now, apart from maybe dose. The security app is really good, the cleaning function really works, deleting duplicates, big files etc.

Why would I get this when the Xiaomi Redmi 3 is cheaper and features a 4100 mAh battery ?

Why would I get this when the Xiaomi Redmi 3 is cheaper and features a 4100 mAh battery ?
Only problem I have with Xiaomi phones is that MIUI does not have an app drawer, it is the same problem I have with iOS. I want the app drawer because I don't want every app to have an icon on the main screens. I know you can add it but I still dislike the fact that you need to add an app to add something that should have been an option from the beginning.

Back