Oppo R5 Review: World's slimmest phone, but are trade-offs worth it?

Scorpus

Staff member

oppo r5 review world android smartphone oppo oppo r5 r5

I don’t understand why smartphone manufacturers are so obsessed with thinness. Especially when it comes at the expense of other important features. But being the 'best at' this or 'most' that still gives you bragging rights and that's what Chinese OEM Oppo appears to be after with the R5. At just 4.85mm thick, it's a pretty impressive form factor, though not without trade-offs.

For one, the internal battery in the Oppo R5 is just 2,000 mAh, which is especially small when you consider the display on this Android device is a pretty standard 5.2-inch 1080p AMOLED. Oppo hasn’t gone all out on the SoC side, including a modest Snapdragon 615 inside the device with 16 GB of storage that can’t be expanded upon. The protruding camera doesn’t blow away its competitors either, at 13 megapixels without optical image stabilization.

The Oppo R5 is clearly designed to destroy its competitors in form factor rather than hardware. So what does a super slim smartphone deliver? Is it actually worth using over a thicker device with, potentially, better hardware?

Read the complete review.

I have to agree with the tradeoffs not being worth it. I own an iPhone 6 and I wouldn't mind it being a little thicker/heavier if that meant I got more battery life. I'm not complaining as I can easily make it through a heavy use day on it, but if Apple were to release the iPhone 6 thick edition which gave me two days of use on a single charge but is 1/2 thicker than the 6 I would snap it up.

But I've rarely heard anyone complain about their phones being too thick (I'm referring to current generation smartphones of course, not back in the olden days when headsets were the size of a lumber)...

Looks like Oppo is dedicated to create beautiful phone "prototypes" you won't buy, the next Oppo R7 will be bezel free, no doubt, will come with some compromises, too.

Here's another bezel-less phone that is currently on the market (from Sharp) -- see a pattern?

No thanks..."same" company as the OnePlus.
2,000mAH battery? Oh! but it is so thin! Yeah, bet it bends easy too.
Nope. I like big phones, 6.0+ screen with HUGE batteries, like the Huawei Mate series.
2-3 days EASY.

The R5s just came out with more memory. 3G RAM and 32GB compared to the R5. Same processor Snapdragon 615 which is modest but remember this phone is not an R7 or R7 plus or for that matter a Find 7 or Find 7a. The battery still lacks though at 2000mah.

Back