Options for removing ATX connector pins

Status
Not open for further replies.

madboyv1

I got a sleeving kit from Frozen CPU and so far have been able to sleeve my fan wires, my SATA power cables, and a SATA -> 2x Molex splitter with little issue.

However for the love of god I cannot get the ATX connector pins out. I tried using the supplied tool, but after about 2 hours of trying I wore out the metal and snapped one of the prongs. Then I tried a pair of staples, but I either did not get them in far enough or they weren't working.

So, can anyone recommend me a tool that you have used for removing these pins? I'm open to around the house remedies as well, and willing to try the staple method again if you have any pointers.

To reiterate, I can do a google search for this tool just fine, and I can read the very few reviews I can find of those tools, but I would like recommendations from users of TechSpot.

I've never removed an ATX connector but I have sleeved a power supply. My method was to desolder the wires inside the PSU then resolder them after installing the sleeves (It was worried about damageing the connectors so I didn't want to try and remove the pins ). This method is only recommended if you're good at soldering and you are aware of the safety aspects of working inside a PSU(The capacitors can store power for days after being disconnected from power). Prior To working inside a PSU (removing boards, repairing components, basically anything other than just looking around inside or replacing a fan) I first drain as much of the stored charge as possible (hit the power button while the PSU is disconnected from AC), Let the PSU sit for at least 24 hours, and wear rubber gloves. So far using this method I have never been shocked. Also this is one case were you don't want to ues an anti-static wrist strap since it acts as a ground. If you don't want to open the psu you can cut the wires, solder them back together and protect the solder joints from shorting with heat shrink tubing(similar to making your own wiring harness for a car stereo if you have ever done that). This will be ugly but if you cover it with sleveing you will never notice it. You can also use butt crimp connectors but these are more prone to failure and harder to hide under sleveing so soldering is the right way to do it.

This is of course a completely different way of accomplishing the same task. It is relatively easy to someone who is good at soldering and knows their way around the inside of a powersupply but will be dificult and potentially dangerous to people lacking thses skills.

Others may be more helpfull in giveing you ways to remove the pins which can be the easy or hard way of sleveing a psu depending on an individuals perticular skills.

I first drain as much of the stored charge as possible (hit the power button while the PSU is disconnected from AC), Let the PSU sit for at least 24 hours, and wear rubber gloves.
There are two ways of looking at this; "A",sound advice.

and "B", caution bordering on extreme paranoia.

Without a big discourse, and as long as all sections of the PSU are still connected the the computer, I'm going to say "B" is correct.

But yeah, make absolutely certain it's unplugged, and positively drain it a couple of times, that really should be enough.

But since you probably won't believe that anyway, consider this; the capacitors are on the DC (computer side) of the PSU. So, while the caps might hold a lot of electricity, they do it at low voltage.

dmill89: a little extreme though I COULD do it... And splicing wouldn't be an issue for me, but I wanted to not do that since I don't have a cable vice handy and the cable in question is JUST BARELY long enough, though if I splice it I could make it longer. hmm...

There are two ways of looking at this; "A",sound advice.

and "B", caution bordering on extreme paranoia.

Without a big discourse, and as long as all sections of the PSU are still connected the the computer, I'm going to say "B" is correct.

But yeah, make absolutely certain it's unplugged, and positively drain it a couple of times, that really should be enough.

But since you probably won't believe that anyway, consider this; the capacitors are on the DC (computer side) of the PSU. So, while the caps might hold a lot of electricity, they do it at low voltage.

It is a slightly excessive amount of caution, but I got shocked really bad (serious electrical burns) a few years ago working on an amplifier with capacitors haveing similar rateings as those used in PSU's (the large ones on the primary) so I don't want to take any chances of it happening again. Prior to being shocked by the amp I just drained the PSU once (I never got shocked this way either) and didn't wait 24 hrs, or use gloves.

I finally managed to get the ATX connectors off with 4 sewing needles. I sleeved my 4 pin ATX connector... I'm not sure if I want to attempt to do the 24 pin connector... If I manage to convince myself to, I might consider the desoldering from the PSU option. XD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back