Oracle moves headquarters from Silicon Valley to Austin, Texas

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Editor's take: Oracle’s move is part of a broader trend that Axios notes has been accelerated by two Cs: California and coronavirus. Individuals and businesses alike are increasingly leaving California over tax concerns, overpopulation issues, the high cost of living there and more. Factor in strict pandemic-related measures and it's no wonder that some big names are going elsewhere.

In a filing with the US Securities and Exchange Commission on Friday, Oracle said it has moved its corporate headquarters from Redwood City, California to Austin, Texas and has implemented a more flexible employee work location policy. The changes, the company said, will provide personnel with more flexibility with regard to where and how they work.

Hewlett Packard Enterprise said earlier this month that it’ll be moving its headquarters to a new campus being built in Spring, Texas, just outside of Houston. The company at the time said Houston had long been their largest US employment hub as it is “an attractive market for us to recruit and retain talent, and a great place to do business.”

Just a few days ago, Tesla and SpaceX CEO Elon Musk announced he had departed the Golden State for the Lone Star State. Over the summer, Joe Rogan also relocated to Texas.

Oracle’s decision isn’t all that surprising considering the company has been moving resources out of California since at least 2018. That year, Oracle opened a campus in Austin in hopes of recruiting fresh and affordable talent.

Masthead credit: josefkubes

Permalink to story.

With telecommuting more established, there will be a lot more of this. The question is, will all those departing the sinking states adopt the policies of their new homes, or will they bring their old policies with them, and watch the same problems develop over again?

California's high tax rate is simply driving off the rich and successful. If they don't act soon, it'll turn into a North-American version of Venezuela, with hordes of starving homeless roaming the streets, rooting in garbage cans and defecating publicly. San Francisco's already there.

Current unemployment rates by state range from Nebraska at 3.0%, through Texas, at 6%, with California and New York in the mid 9% range. Policies do make a difference.

With telecommuting more established, there will be a lot more of this. The question is, will all those departing the sinking states adopt the policies of their new homes, or will they bring their old policies with them, and watch the same problems develop over again?

The will end up voting for the same policies that they are running away from, we can see it happen in other states.

However it is going to take a long time to turn Texas blue enough to get anywhere near as bad as CA. CA is for all practical purposes a one party state (at the state level) and the chances of turning TX even mostly blue in the next few decades is slim to none. This is especially true since most of the companies are moving to the same few areas concentrating the new voting block in a few areas rather than over the whole state.

The will end up voting for the same policies that they are running away from, we can see it happen in other states.

However it is going to take a long time to turn Texas blue enough to get anywhere near as bad as CA. CA is for all practical purposes a one party state (at the state level) and the chances of turning TX even mostly blue in the next few decades is slim to none. This is especially true since most of the companies are moving to the same few areas concentrating the new voting block in a few areas rather than over the whole state.

The problem is that most of them are opting for Austin, the only big liberal city in Texas. The only real reasons to do that is because a company's culture demands such an environment. If the greater Austin area continues to grow, so will its political influence. That's very, very bad for the state as a whole and Texas should be paying just as close of attention to who's coming across its western border as it does the southern one. There is already a local movement that wants to slow down the exodus from California because of the fear of being infected by Stupidthink.

Go home we're full, we don't want you here, Texas is closed, we don't want you here, and it's my goal to make you transplants feel very unwelcome, southern hospitality is no longer in effect for california's or notherners.

Go home we're full, we don't want you here, Texas is closed, we don't want you here, and it's my goal to make you transplants feel very unwelcome, southern hospitality is no longer in effect for california's or notherners.

That's gonna be a tall order when most of these people are multi millionaires.

That's gonna be a tall order when most of these people are multi millionaires.

Don't matter one bit to me how much money they have, I've ceased being polite to immigrants from the failed states, If they ask my suggestion for where to check out I direct them to restaurants we locals know make people sick, I also go out of my way to give them bad directions if asked, or if I'm feeling generous I just say **** off.

Don't matter one bit to me how much money they have, I've ceased being polite to immigrants from the failed states, If they ask my suggestion for where to check out I direct them to restaurants we locals know make people sick, I also go out of my way to give them bad directions if asked, or if I'm feeling generous I just say **** off.

Do you normally run into millionaires in Texas asking you for directions?

My point is you have no control over this and you being nasty to them is not gonna stop people from coming to the state. Seems like a waste of time to me.

Makes sense. I wouldn’t want to pay CA high taxes, high costs of living, and deal with their embarrassing government.

At one point or another, they were inevitably going to eat their own policies.
And just where is government not embarrassing? :laughing:

California's high tax rate is simply driving off the rich and successful. If they don't act soon, it'll turn into a North-American version of Venezuela, with hordes of starving homeless roaming the streets, rooting in garbage cans and defecating publicly. San Francisco's already there.

Current unemployment rates by state range from Nebraska at 3.0%, through Texas, at 6%, with California and New York in the mid 9% range. Policies do make a difference.

But the *****s there continue to vote in the morons that are killing their state. Death by insanity....
I just hate to see what happens to Texas (or any other state) when these companies and individuals move from California to there and they start voting the same way they did in California.

But the *****s there continue to vote in the morons that are killing their state. Death by insanity....
I just hate to see what happens to Texas (or any other state) when these companies and individuals move from California to there and they start voting the same way they did in California.

we wont allow it, there is a growing movement in this state to restrict bussiness moving here, and swaying the state to blue. Some idea's I've liked is a suggestion for a state wide electoral college, requiring bussiness's relocating to hire at least 50% of their new staff as Texans are be taxed at 30% income tax per year for 10 years. Things of this nature.

Back