Origin Chronos Small Form Factor Gaming PC Review

Jos

Staff
Windows installs Candy Crush and other BS, not Origin.

I see no point in these tiny high power PCs. Just... why?

Space constraints where you live, LAN Parties (Portability), More room for other components in your setup (Speakers, screen etc...), Easier to hide in a cabinet under the TV if you want something better than a console connected to your TV. Besides, it's quite impressive how far the small form factor has moved on in the last few years.

Now this is a nice offering in the pre-built market as opposed to that wooden thing we saw a few week(s) back. Looks well built and has good components.

The only thing I can see as a possible problem is the GPU on top of the HDD. Maybe drop the HDD for an SSD and put it in the cradle on the other side of the system. Otherwise this is a solid box, but a bit pricey.

Excellent build. I really love the placements of the parts. Both from a cooling perspective but also from a showcase perspective (How many people get to show off their 1080 ti like that?).

It's far too expensive but that's too be expected. As long as you can find a decent case you could build your own that's relatively on par. It's a really great HTPC.

The caveat of these small systems: Trying to keep it cool without making it loud is a tricky problem. It can be done (and Origin did it right). You make the CPU liquid cooled and you supply access for the GPU to get air. Then you install side fans to make sure there is movement throughout the case. It requires some tinkering if you build one -- often you'll get hotspots if you're not careful.

Windows installs Candy Crush and other BS, not Origin.

To me, building these systems, either with off the shelf parts and cases, or custom enclosure/custom loops, is fun to do and a challenge, especially when you start cramming things "creatively" into one. Lots of fun building/customizing my ML-08 for what I wanted to do with it, (and my custom front panel LED lighting works ha ha ha). Of course there's also the advantage of smaller footprint and greater mobility (if you travel with your system a lot).

HA I like it. I like it a lot. Should have had it say "PC MASTER CASE" instead of RACE though. :p

Build log?

Noise ... is the big dealbreaker for any SFF builds IMO, because SFF is usually far closer to your face/ears than any big builds... or in the comfort of your living room as "console replacement" / HT PC ... where noise is definitely no go! Want to see more actual 0 fan/noise SFF options available and benchmarked.

Damn.. with that logo I expected something else..
Dear Gigabyte, I need a Ryzen-NUC..
thanks

Back