Origin EON15-X Laptop Review: Desktop power on the move

Rick

Staff

origin eon15-x laptop review desktop

Ultrabooks, shmultrabooks. Mobile or otherwise, gamers know there is no substitute for a massive slab of expensive and power-hungry hardware. Sure, the dividing line between laptop and desktop performance is thinning, but the singularity at which both converge remains to be seen.

As a result, Origin PC has implemented a straightforward tactic to grant laptops hairier chests: cram in an honest to goodness desktop CPU. Yep, Origin’s EON15-X packs a full-fledged “Devil’s Canyon” Intel Core i7 into a (relatively) modest 15-inch laptop. We’ll talk details in just a moment, but know this: relative to its peers, the EON15-X’s performance is impressive.

Read the complete review.

That's a bit over the top, isn't it? As far as I've seen, there's not much difference between the top i5 and top i7 (1150) when it comes to gaming. I'm curious to see how the gaming/cpu charts will look after we get the ball rolling on DX12.

That thing is really impressive (full LGA socket?!) but I will never buy a glossy screen laptop again after getting my Sager NP7339. Why does basically nothing have a matte screen again even though a lot of people want them?

Thank you for the Review. I have been looking for more reviews on Origin Laptops. My one question would be, what has the reliability with Origin Laptops been?

Too bad on the Glossy screen... Battery life pretty much keeps you tied to an outlet also. Why don't these extreme machines have a super-light mode (underclock the CPU/GPU, etc) for use in desktop/browsing/video mode? Gaming full power, sure but...

Wait, how has Origin PC not been sued by EA yet? Their logo even features a stylized spiral galaxy.
That thing is really impressive (full LGA socket?!) but I will never buy a glossy screen laptop again after getting my Sager NP7339. Why does basically nothing have a matte screen again even though a lot of people want them?
Matte screens are my choice as well, for both laptop and desktop displays.

I think glossy screens have more "wow" factor. Even if it is an illusion, they seem to make colors "pop" a bit more. Glossy also has a certain modern appeal as well, not unlike like IKEA furniture. ;-) The only objective merit I can think of to choose glossy is it is superior for very bright, evenly lit areas... like the outdoors.

Thank you for the Review. I have been looking for more reviews on Origin Laptops. My one question would be, what has the reliability with Origin Laptops been?
Yeah, reliability is something which reviews like these can't capture.

I believe Origin's reputation, the *visible* quality of this laptop and brand-name parts selection suggests minimal problems. It's really impossible to know though.

I actually prefer glossy or semi for my screen - but I almost never use my machines in sunny areas. My computer room never gets any sunlight and usually has all lights off except for other screens. This laptop looks really impressive btw.

In my ThinkPad T days I'd swear by matte, but my last two laptops have had glossy screens with very few issues. I don't use it outdoors on a regular basis, if you do then it should obviously be a big factor.

Wish the TN panel was a little brighter.

I didn't know this laptop has a TN panel and given its high price tag, it should have S-IPS panel. Sorry, but as impressive this laptop's specs are, the lack of S-IPS panel is the biggest dealbreaker.

Almost all games are GPU limited, not CPU... for the money, I'd rather have a mobile CPU and dual 980s (or even dual 880s, which would beat this).

The unfortunately discontinued Alienware 18 can be had for about the same price on ebay now... While it's obviously larger (hence the "18"), it will crush this laptop for gaming...

Great article. As others have said, for "gaming" a mobile i7 with 2 GTX 980Ms might make more sense, but this is one heck of a laptop nonetheless.

On a side note, I believe the comparison between the GTX 980 and GTX 980M has the memory bandwidth numbers flip-flopped.

Almost all games are GPU limited, not CPU... for the money, I'd rather have a mobile CPU and dual 980s (or even dual 880s, which would beat this).

The unfortunately discontinued Alienware 18 can be had for about the same price on ebay now... While it's obviously larger (hence the "18"), it will crush this laptop for gaming...
I'd rather hack myself to death than have a huge 18 inch gaming laptop, if you can call that a laptop.

Heheh... they're not for everyone... but I LOVE mine... and once you're getting something that needs to be plugged in virtually all of the time anyways, size really doesn't make much of a difference...

I'd either want a 2-4lb machine, or I'd want a 10+ pound one... I don't really see a need to go "half-@ssed"... especially when the cost is virtually the same!

Back