OS failed to boot normally for very first time

A

ajac63

Worrying Windows 7 issue happened to me that I can't explain. I switched the system on and got to the 'Windows Starting' screen as normal and expected to see the login-display moments later, only I didn't because Windows just hung for minutes on end.:eek: I checked the machine all over - the HDD LED was on, the front standby switch LED was showing as normal, but the OS just continued to hang.
Tried switching the system off by pushing the standby switch in for x-number of seconds, but system wouldn't turn off. In the end I pushed the main switch to power it down.
I then pushed the main switch to 'On' and rebooted via standby switch and this time Windows 7 presented me with two options: To load Windows in repair mode or in normal mode. I selected normal mode (thinking I'd try repair mode if it didn't work a second time...) and it booted as normal. I was able to login, etc.

When I was presented with the two boot options, Windows was also suggesting that something to do with the hardware set-up had changed (presumably why it just hung the first time), yet nothing had been changed. So a bit odd.

Nope, I'm afraid. Windows repeatedly fails to load as normal, but eventually does via rebooting and rebooting - then often fails to close-down normally. Other info: This started happening about three weeks ago after I had opened-up the case to clean the computer. I was very methodical, did not touch anything on the m'board, etc, with my fingers; just a brush and also I used a low-powered vacuum cleaner to get rid of dust, etc. So don't know what's going on. I think that either the HD has a failure of some kind, or Windows is not 'communicating' with the BIOS properly. I don't know...

I would say it is either a impending hard drive or power supply failure. Get important stuff backed up and then we can start replacing parts

Better to begin at the beginning - the problem started several weeks ago? and after a couple of weeks, you had a broken 'start up' and now it is really hard to start.

Further, you think these problems started after a cleaning.

I think the first thing is to try to establish that nothing got 'out of place' when you put things back together. The classic issue is putting a long screw in a short screw location - and unless you used an 'organizer' it is easy to do (I use card stock and push screws into the card approximately where it would be in the laptop - with separate cards for skin layer, keyboard layer, motherboard layer, etc.).

Try to locate a Youtube video which covers disassembly of your model of laptop - and do a re-do.

Let us know when you are positive the re-assembly is right - otherwise we might be 'fixing' things for weeks before we come back here.

ps Folks swear by canned air, because some folks experience static problems with vacuums.

I would say it is either a impending hard drive or power supply failure. Get important stuff backed up and then we can start replacing parts
Okay, I'll backup the data as normal... What could be the reason for the impending HD or PSU failure though? I'm suspecting a virus of some sort even though msse finds nothing.

Better to begin at the beginning - the problem started several weeks ago? and after a couple of weeks, you had a broken 'start up' and now it is really hard to start.

Further, you think these problems started after a cleaning.

I think the first thing is to try to establish that nothing got 'out of place' when you put things back together. The classic issue is putting a long screw in a short screw location - and unless you used an 'organizer' it is easy to do (I use card stock and push screws into the card approximately where it would be in the laptop - with separate cards for skin layer, keyboard layer, motherboard layer, etc.).

Try to locate a Youtube video which covers disassembly of your model of laptop - and do a re-do.

Let us know when you are positive the re-assembly is right - otherwise we might be 'fixing' things for weeks before we come back here.

ps Folks swear by canned air, because some folks experience static problems with vacuums.
Yea, I've heard about static issues with vacuum cleaners, but the one I use is one of those USB one's with a thin nozzle - so not high-powered, but enough to remove loose dust. In any case, a vacuum will extract air from the case, unlike a compressor which does the opposite, so more likely to cause static due to friction.

What really gets me though is that this has happened in the same period that I decided to get bits, bytes and pieces for my first home-server project, which is why I joined TS to get advice ;) Now I'm thinking omens :p

Okay, I'll backup the data as normal... What could be the reason for the impending HD or PSU failure though? I'm suspecting a virus of some sort even though msse finds nothing.
You could try a Windows fresh re-install after backing up. This could pinpoint a problem faster

Forget usb vacuums and little brushes. An aircan is cheap and will do an adequate job without your having to take any chances.

Forget usb vacuums and little brushes. An aircan is cheap and will do an adequate job without your having to take any chances.
I've used these before, but often experienced small amounts of liquid coming out.

Just thought of possibly another factor. I have this USB charger for my e-cig which I often recharge when the computer is still on. Maybe the 4-port USB hub on the m'board gets overloaded? Dunno :confused:

You could try a Windows fresh re-install after backing up. This could pinpoint a problem faster
I agree with that idea. Also, if you are 'charging' something on USB, does it go over USB specification (USB v2.0 as you find on your system is much less than USB v3.0 now in use).

Yes, after using an aircan I do notice what looks like dampness but it evaporates very fast and doesn't seem to cause any issues. It's certainly better than risking static with brushes which kills things like ram very easily. I suspect that it is required to make the aircan work effectively. Just wait a few minutes before switching on for added safety.

Certainly unplug any usb devices that you don't need. That e-cig charger could easily be the problem.

I agree with that idea. Also, if you are 'charging' something on USB, does it go over USB specification (USB v2.0 as you find on your system is much less than USB v3.0 now in use).
Yea, I've been thinking of a reinstall but only as a last resort. On the USB consideration, I think this is indeed the possible culprit. I have four USB 2.0 ports at the back, all of which were being used when I was charging the e-cig, maybe the extra power-draw was effecting the HD.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, after using an aircan I do notice what looks like dampness but it evaporates very fast and doesn't seem to cause any issues. It's certainly better than risking static with brushes which kills things like ram very easily. I suspect that it is required to make the aircan work effectively. Just wait a few minutes before switching on for added safety.

Certainly unplug any usb devices that you don't need. That e-cig charger could easily be the problem.
I only use a brush on the case panels, fans and the CPU cooler to loosen any caked-on dust, for everything else I use the USB mini vac but don't actually touch anything with the nozzle. I've now got a standard plug that accepts a USB cable in the back so can charge the e-cig from a normal socket :)

Your choice, but I'd bin the usb vac. You may become OCD about dust even if you avoid screwing things up with a static charge. :)

I use a small Shop Vac and an old tooth brush with cleaning desktop computers, never had an issue after cleaning 300+ computers!

Your choice, but I'd bin the usb vac. You may become OCD about dust even if you avoid screwing things up with a static charge. :)
But I like USB gadgets and where else would I use it. For the desk, etc, I use the main vac but I don't go anywhere in the case with that one, might pull something out. However I've taken the hint and ordered some air dispenser cans.

Back