Out Of Range Monitor Issue

Bhanu Pratap

Monitor display's out of range 102.3kHz / 48Hz ,I have attached a photo of the problem looks like , Please Help me to fix this problem asap , I can't even access the safe mode !

Half baked answer:
Test monitor and cable on another system to confirm proper operation.

If broken, fix.

If confirmed operative, remove video card, install another card from different maker - reboot and remove devices (monitor & display card) from Device Manager

If that fails, enter BIOS setting and change to VGA which is hopefully a choice.

Hopefully, something worked and you can now remove all traces of prior graphics drivers with DDU (download section).

Now (still hopefully) you can download fresh GPU drivers and install them with your original card.

Half baked answer:
Test monitor and cable on another system to confirm proper operation.

If broken, fix.

If confirmed operative, remove video card, install another card from different maker - reboot and remove devices (monitor & display card) from Device Manager

If that fails, enter BIOS setting and change to VGA which is hopefully a choice.

Hopefully, something worked and you can now remove all traces of prior graphics drivers with DDU (download section).

Now (still hopefully) you can download fresh GPU drivers and install them with your original card.
The Process I did -

Removed and cleaned the Ram Chip and inserted it back.

Removed the graphic Card , since I wanted to switch to vga graphic , after cleaning I didn't put it back

This time , My PC started (luckily)
So , Yeah , as told by you I uninstalled and deleted the old drivers and their traces , in addition , I switched to safe mood >msconfig > boot > base video.

It restarted , the graphics were very basic , now I installed the new graphic drivers ( the version mention on the cover of my graphic card box )

Installed it. (All went successful)

Now it was the time to , insert the graphic card back in slot.

So I did so , BUT THE PROBLEM REMAINED AS IT IS , OUT OF RANGE , 102.3kHz / 48kHz.

What are the options we can try sir ,

1. REFRESH RATE ?

ALSO , if had many mistake , please let me know.

You are previous reply , did made me aware about the system.

But Please Guide Me to Fix this !

If you want I can share pictures of screen and display , cpu , slots , graphic card , just ask for it , if you will so , for explaining !

Looking forward for your reply

Very good notes. Thank you.

Thoughts:
1. Remove GPU card
2. Return to VGA
3. Run DDU
4. Run msconfig and turn off all non-Microsoft services
5. Reboot and confirm monitor runs in VGA
6. Using Monitor Menu, do a 'factory reset'
7. Confirm monitor frequency is 59 Hz or 60 Hz based on monitor information menu selection
8. Using Settings in Windows 10, select Display, move down page and select Advanced Display settings and confirm information is correct with refresh rate set at 59 or 60
9. Reboot to make sure all works properly at VGA and power off
10. Now install GPU (hold off on drivers yet) - need to know if it will work with basic settings

If it all seems to work, download fresh copy of WHQL drivers. Install that.

Fingers-crossed.

If it doesn't work, then I wonder is something happened to GPU... I should like to know make, model and version of components to see if this can be sorted out without replacements.

As Per Your Suggestions , Point Wise -

1. Done
2. Done
3. To Run DDU - (wagnardsoft installed)
Switched to safe mode
Ran the Application , choose GPU as
Option , It Showed 3 possible Clean Up.
I choose, (as it was mentioned highly recommended) , clean and restart
option.
After Restarting...
4. In Msconfig , I saw all services , there I saw option of hiding Microsoft services, after choosing that , there were only 3 other services running , so I choose not turn - off , (All three Google chrome) X
5. Done , runs in VGA.
6. Done ( The Pixel Decreased , The Quality became Average) , Didn't Change Kept as it is , basic.
7. Monitor Frequency 60 , Correct.
8. Right Click > Screen Resolution > Advance Setting , In Monitor , The refresh rate as option was not mentioned as such anywhere , maybe because we were on VGA , though an option , mentioning Refresh rate was there , for meeting compatibility , being the only option in that list , it was by default selected.
9. Perfect10. GPU installed , IM SORRY TO SAY ,BUT THE PROBLEM AINT READY TO GET RESOLVED.

When Reboot Happened , It showed
42.6 kHz / 20 Hz new)
I again pressed the power button , of retrying
102.3 kHz / 48 kHz (old) ..... Kept repeating , for two other try I took.

SO FAR I HAVE TRIED , REMOVING AND INSERTING GPU CARD , FOR 8-10 TIMES IN 2 DAYS. PRAYING FOR IT TO WORK WITH EVERY CHANCE I TAKE.

Mine Graphic Card Is AMD Radeon HD5450
BOUGHT IN 2014 , My CPU is assembled one , not a company made , I work on Windows 7 , Most of it is Outdated , but I'm just Used to of it.

Hope I'm doing correctly ,

Suggest me what else can be done , if you need any information regarding my
System
Graphic Card ,
Snap shot of driver details in system
Or etc thing ask for it straight away
We can even try this process again , with slight modification ,( if you have say )

You have been a great help , but we need to mix this.

Thank You Sir , I will Wait for your reply.

Before I did anything else, I'd reset the motherboard BIOS. Simply remove the battery from the CMOS, allow it to remain out for a few minutes, and if you one available, replace the battery.

If you board has an IGP available, hook the monitor up to the on board graphics, and try again.

Windows 7 has a right click on desktop "screen resolution" setting available.

I've seen graphics card & driver trash BIOS settings. Luckily, all my Gigabyte boards have "dual BIOS" and will reload the backup on their own. You may not be as fortunate.

Using IGP, Win 7 will find the appropriate driver on its own. (This assuming it is able to boot).

As for putting the same card in and out 8 times, remember the definition of insanity is, "repeating the same action over and over, while expecting a different result". Not trying to be snide here, just reminding you the card or monitor could be bad

I'm pretty sure the refresh rate and resolution are available in BIOS, so you should boot into that after the reset.

In pinch, most flat screen TVs have a VGA, (if not HDMI) input, and you could use that as a substitute monitor..So, reset the BIOS, sub out the monitor, try the IGP if your board has one. If not, maybe you have an old, "ballzy enough" video card laying around you could try.

Last edited:
The AMD Radeon HD5450 is a nice card, I think I still have one tucked away for troubleshooting (next to the old spare PSU). However, I am beginning to think that yours might not be working well. Have you by any chance tried it in another system?

I'm glad I learned that you are still in Win7. Yes, it is different. Attached is a forum addressing a similar problem and in Win7... take a look

Before I did anything else, I'd reset the motherboard BIOS. Simply remove the battery from the CMOS, allow it to remain out for a few minutes, and if you one available, replace the battery.

If you board has an IGP available, hook the monitor up to the on board graphics, and try again.

Windows 7 has a right click on desktop "screen resolution" setting available.

I've seen graphics card & driver trash BIOS settings. Luckily, all my Gigabyte boards have "dual BIOS" and will reload the backup on their own. You may not be as fortunate.

Using IGP, Win 7 will find the appropriate driver on its own. (This assuming it is able to boot).

As for putting the same card in and out 8 times, remember the definition of insanity is, "repeating the same action over and over, while expecting a different result". Not trying to be snide here, just reminding you the card or monitor could be bad

I'm pretty sure the refresh rate and resolution are available in BIOS, so you should boot into that after the reset.

In pinch, most flat screen TVs have a VGA, (if not HDMI) input, and you could use that as a substitute monitor..So, reset the BIOS, sub out the monitor, try the IGP if your board has one. If not, maybe you have an old, "ballzy enough" video card laying around you could try.

The AMD Radeon HD5450 is a nice card, I think I still have one tucked away for troubleshooting (next to the old spare PSU). However, I am beginning to think that yours might not be working well. Have you by any chance tried it in another system?

I'm glad I learned that you are still in Win7. Yes, it is different. Attached is a forum addressing a similar problem and in Win7... take a look

THANKS FOR PAYING ATTENTION TO MY QUERY ,

Actually I'm not a tech guy , I did understand whatever you said ,
but it will be really great if you can simplify it even more , point wise steps ,
so that I can be sure of things I am doing step by step.

Excuse Me , Sir Need Your Help You there ?

What Cranky Captain , said can you simplify it to me , I'm not a Tech Guy , so it's kinda confusing , but I thank him for consideration.

Also If we can connect on Instagram , it will relatively easier to communicate.

Let me know soon sir !

Here is fine.

"reset the motherboard BIOS " means remove the coin battery and set the BIOS clearing pins to 'on' for 20 seconds and then return them to proper (off) location and re-install the battery. Considering age of your system, you may wish to replace it.

If you can identify your motherboard (make, model) you can locate a copy of the manual - usually from maker's website in the 'support' section. This will allow you to identify parts of the system and to interpret the BIOS settings.

"Cranky Captain" is quite correct about BIOS and I should have thought of it.

Trying another video card to check if it 'fixes' the problem is also a good idea.

I really Want your Instagram ID , I want share Pictures of my system , and it's configuration
OK, before we can help you any further. we need to know the make and model of your mother board, and CPU..

Most importantly we need to know if rhe machine will produce graphics (video output) on its own, without the video card.

Most, if not all flat screen TVs have some sort of video input, either VGA, or HDMI, which will accept video from your computer

Thus, if your board or CPU has "IGP", which means an "integrated Graphics Processor", you don't need the computer monitor or the video card to perform substitution tests.

Look in back of the computer at the motherboard back plate , to see if it has some sort of video connector. (The plate where you plug in your USB and internet connections).

If we can figure out the brand snd model of your board and CPU, we can direct you to the makers website, (particularly the mobo), where you can download instruction specific to that model..

Note that if you board or CPU doesn't have an IGP, or the IGP is locked out in BIOS you must rind another video card to perform ant further testing.

If, as you say, "you're not a tech guy", you need to read up on what "BIOS", and "POST" mean, before we go any further.

Speaking for myself, I don't even have an Instagram account, not do I feel a photo exchange is necessary, since any mobo maker will already have available pictures and instructions online.

I do not see pictures. Doubt they would help anyway.

Did you try another video card?
Did you locate a manual?
Did you reset BIOS?
Did you replace coin battery?

Markets are closed , as we are in lockdown , all sevices have stopped except essentials , so im kinda stranded, cant do anything...

I can mail you if you want
- let me know the email id
or if you want I can send my email id , you just text me hi ...?

Markets are closed , as we are in lockdown , all sevices have stopped except essentials , so im kinda stranded, cant do anything...

I can mail you if you want
- let me know the email id
or if you want I can send my email id , you just text me hi ...?
Did you try another video card? eBay or equivalent
Did you locate a manual? motherboard maker's support section of website
Did you reset BIOS? as described above and in manual
Did you replace coin battery? eBay, NewEgg, Amazon, etc

Even the E- Markets have stopped to operate in my country so, COIN battery issue gonna be there until the lockdown is being lifted.

also I dont have any other video card

Motherboard CPU make model , Yes I did find it in the system.
That is what I wanted to share as picture + some other information as well, but I guess the platform doesnt allow so , you must have a look at it though,

nerdycontentwork this is my gmail username , please send hi , so that I can share the pictures containing the information with you

BIOS , resetting I didnt do , because I am afraid if things go the other way because the coin battery is faulty, things might get even worse
but if you are sure and insisting I will do that as well, need to learn first how to reset bios and on/off , of pin.

Download motherboard manual and read it.
If you cannot find it, provide maker and model and I will take a look.

It seems HCL is no longer manufacturing computers or motherboards. Please examine the silk-screened legends on the motherboard to see if there was a sub-vendor like Gigabyte, ECS, MSI, etc.

Back