"out of virtual memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbeaudet

i really need help. for some reason, my system (Windows XP Pro) says im out of virtual memory paging file. i followed the directions provided to fix it, and for some reason, windows wont use any of my paging file. i set the file higher, and it has no effect. is there somthing seriously wrong with my computer? can i fix it or am i out of luck? I cannot do anything on my computer (im on another one right now). I cannot access the system resources i need (restore, services, hardware) they all come up with a blank window.

Do you need it ?

I recently read in a Jan pc mag that if you have 1 gb of ram you can
disable it.I did and have no problems.
Need more info,just ask,i'll get the mags link.
I set performance to Programs.

no....my computer's kind of old. it only has half of that amount of ram or less. its a toshiba satellite. its worked ok until recently. now i have some problems with it and i think its all tied to this pagefile/virtual memory error and i need help fixing it.

i think its 240

How exactly do you know that it isn't using the pagefile? Does it still give you the error message or?

And a tip: Set the minimum and maximum pagefile sizes to the same value. It'll prevent the pagefile from fragmenting.

it says "total page file usage for each drive: 0 MB" i change it and restart and it stays the same. It also says "out of virtual memory"

how full is your hard drive, how much free space do you have

also make sure page fileing is in fact turned on

Heres a pic

You need 1 GB of ram to do this.
But you can check it for recommended amount.
Cbeaudet,check your recommended.I guess you don't have 1 GB of ram.
Jesse,can you locate the place I posted ? Start with Sysdm.

Attachments

• No Pageing.jpg
    No Pageing.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 8
when i go to edit the size of the paging file, i get this message: "Windows created a temporary paging file on your computer because of a problem that occurred with your paging file configuration when you started your computer. the total paging file size for all disk drives may be somewhat larger than than the size you specified." I click OK, and i edit the size, and like i believe i said before, nothing changed after i restarted my computer. I have plenty of space (i think) i have 1376 MB free. the size i specified was 240-700. is that enough

Window recommends

cbeaudet said:
when i go to edit the size of the paging file, i get this message: "Windows created a temporary paging file on your computer because of a problem that occurred with your paging file configuration when you started your computer. the total paging file size for all disk drives may be somewhat larger than than the size you specified." I click OK, and i edit the size, and like i believe i said before, nothing changed after i restarted my computer. I have plenty of space (i think) i have 1376 MB free. the size i specified was 240-700. is that enough

Use what Windows recommends,if you don't have 1 gb of ram.
Set advanced options to programs.
It's in my picture.Did you read that post and attachment ?
It's from PC World mag.
Why no comment ?
Go to Windows Help and support,type in find
memory
Heres part of it.
The default size of the virtual memory pagefile (named pagefile.sys)
created during installation is 1.5 times the amount of RAM on your computer.
1 GB of ram = 1,536 mb

Go to control panel>system>advanced>performance>advanced>virtual memory>change>click system managed>set

?

I don't have a file named pagefile.sys either.
I have no memory errors.I have 1 gb ram.
Set your other option to Programs
What effect are you expecting ? Please answer this and the rest.
How much ram do you have ?
cfitzarl's suggestion is worth a try.
Let Windows decide

I use Custom.and just 2 options.

Attachments

• Performance.jpg
    Performance.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 5
ive used all of the settings (custom, system managed, no). It says when i go to change it "Windows created a temporary paging file because of a problem/corruption with your paging file at startup" or something along those lines.

chkdsk found errors last time, but it couldnt fix them, and im pretty sure because there is a problem with my virtual memory and i dont have a great amount of ram, thats why. i cannot fix this error still, so im still looking for solutions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back