Outlook Express timing out

Status
Not open for further replies.

shortman78

Hi there, i am having an issue with outlook express, when receiving emails the processes gets stuck when downloading message number 6. The machine im using is running norton 360. I've tried switching off the firewall and the email scanning feature but no luck. The is no problem sending emails.

please help.

thanks in advance.

Well..

I'd call customer service and have them check your account and see if its working correctly. Maybe they can check the email and see if its a malformed email or something.

1. What type of connection do you have to the internet?
2. Are the emails of average size, or do they contain attachments and/or image/music?
3. When you click on Send/Receive, do message download without problem if less that 6?
4. It is consistently a problem loading message #6 anytime there are 6 or more emails?
5. Does the email #6 have an attachment?
6. Can you retrieve the email from the server?
7. Have you deleted the emails from the server?

1. 8mg BT broadband
2. There's 36 emails waiting to come through with a total of 1.18mb
3. All messages before this message download fine.
4. It constantly gets stuck on this message number. The emails must be stored on the server because everytime i click send/receive the first 5 messages come through.
5. How would i find this out?
6. This is where the mail is coming from.
7. Would i be able to delete this message or would i need to speak to BT to ask them to remove the message.

Thanks

Thank you. That helps. According to the information I found, BT Broadband gives you a choice of either using a client based email like Outlook Express, or their web-based email. First, I want you to check the screen shots below and make sure the account for OE is set up correctly:

http://www.pdoc.co.uk/screenshots/oe_for_bt.htm

NOTE: a comment is made that 'wanadoo' may not be the domain and that it is used as an example, so substitute your particular domain if it is not.

While you're in the mail account screen, click on the Advanced tab> Delivery Section: IF you have checked 'leave copy of mail on server', you are going to have to also check 'remove mail from server when mail is deleted from the Deleted Items box'. This allows you to stay within the storage limit set by the ISP. IF you do not and the mail hits the limit, you are going to have problems. When I get a 'screenful' of mail in the Deleted Items box I click on Edit> Select All> Delete
When you have finished with the OE settings> Apply> OK.

This feature is handy to those of us who have more that one computer and want to be able to access the mail from any computer in OE. But is can have it's drawbacks if not cleaned up. So if you do not need this feature, uncheck it.

Call the ISP and ask them what the web mail address is. Then you need to access that with your email name and password and delete all of the mail there-download the current mail first, then do the delete.

Thanks for your help. I will try doing this tonight, its my gf's dad's computer so i've not got access to it at the moment. Funnily enough i did go on the bt web site last night and there is an option for web mail, however when i click on the link, page cannot be displayed pops up in the screen. This was making me wonder if there is a problem with BT.

If you continue to not be able to access the BT Web mail, you will need to contact them and ask if there is a site problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back