Outlook .pst files

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlbertLionheart

Anyone know what is included in the archive file from Outlook usually saved as outlook.pst?
For example, does this include all the mail folders and messages, the calendar entries and the email account profiles?

the user can specify specifically WHAT gets archived.

personally, I archive my Calendar separately from my Contacts.
(email is via Thunderbird :) )

The outlook.pst file is the main pst file (not the archive). Typically the archive is saved as archive.pst. The outlook.pst file contains everything (mail, calendar, contacts, etc) execpt for the password for any of the email accounts (e.g pop3 account). I don't believe the archive contains the info on the email accounts, it just has the areas you chose to archive as jobeard stated.

Thanks gentlemen - much appreciated and now clears up the muddle about archive.pst and outlook.pst.
Anyone know if there is a way to export the complete email account profile including the password - as you can in Outlook Express??

the "profile"? Outlook has "settings" but these are not exportable; they appear to be in the Registry.

Export to File also includes Personal Folders (which contains the Email)

The email account profile contains the email address, the mail servers, the username and password plus any settings for leaving message copies on the server.
In Outlook Express (OE) there is a really simple export and import process for these profiles and I had hoped that a similar tool was available in Outlook. I have looked but not found one where I would expect it - in OE the fool is in the same dialogue box as the properties access button.

Frankly, I would not expect the settings for accessing the pop3/smtp to be exported at all from any email reader.
Doing so would gravely impact any account into which that data was imported.
The data (contacts and emails) are quiet different than the account settings (imo).

If you look under the "file" menu, you will see import and export features. You can export everytthing to .pst file and import it in another profile. I'm pretty sure it does not export the passwords though (i forget if it exports the mail account settings). Your best be would be to test it out if you have a pc you can set a temporary profile on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back