Ouya takes to Kickstarter to fund Android-based gaming console

Shawn Knight

Staff member

It’s no secret that smartphone and tablet gaming is heating up in a big way. Titles are much easier to code on these platforms and the low production and consumer cost is a win-win for everyone involved.

A startup based in Los Angeles called Ouya agrees with all of these statements, but they feel that gaming is still best done at home on a large television with booming surround sound. Their solution is to merge portable gaming with at-home console gaming, and do so on the cheap.

Update (7/12): Funding has gone all the way up to $3.5 million dollars, and counting...

Update (7/11): Ouya's Kickstarter has not only surpassed its $950,000 goal in less than 24 hours, but as of writing it's raised over $2.1 million with 28 more days to go and showing considerable interest with some 17,000-plus backers thus far.

The Ouya is an Android-based open-source console that is powered by a Tegra 3 quad-core processor, 1GB of RAM and 8GB of internal flash storage. The device uses a wireless controller with standard controls (two analog sticks, d-pad, eight action buttons, a system button) and a touchpad. The console and controller were both designed by Yves Behar, the person behind the Jawbone Jambox and the One Laptop per Child portable.

The console is open to any developer with one condition: at least some portion of gameplay has to be free. Of course this can be interpreted by the developer in a number of ways, from offering virtual goods at a price to selling subscriptions.

The console is hacker-friendly as Ouya encourages users to root it. Everything opens with standard screws and we are told that users can even create their own peripherals and connect them via USB or Bluetooth.

Ouya is taking to Kickstarter to fund the console and if early pledges are any indication, they shouldn’t have any trouble reaching their goal of $950,000. As of writing, more than 3,000 backers have already pledged over $375,000 with 29 days to go.

The final product is expected to cost under $100 and could be available in the first quarter of 2013.

Permalink to story.

This type of console is similar to ones I have envisioned for years (but my ideas were more of the special Linux for gaming build variety). I could see this product becoming a popular little item, particularly with the open platform and hacking encouragement that are at the core of the concept. At the very least, it might encourage more "depth" in some of the games that can then bridge to the mobile environment as well.

Will it play PC games?
Sorry, but android games have great potential by themselves.

I really hope this will disturbed sony and microsoft. If platform becomes easy to obtain, it'll most likely be widespread and will be the target console for developers. Here's to cheap gaming.

I really hope this will disturbed sony and microsoft. If platform becomes easy to obtain, it'll most likely be widespread and will be the target console for developers. Here's to cheap gaming.

You bring up a fine point, but I'm going to have to refute with a resounding, "meh".

anything that could possibly create income in the hands of microsoft and sony will not become cheap. :p

The project already surpass the goal.

I'm going to buy one of these thing as a console / multimedia device.

It has gathered $1,873,986 as of writing. That's nearly twice their goal. And they still have 29 days to go!

I also heard since it's Android-based, it could potentially be hacked to run emulators. Such as N64, Dreamcast, PlayStation 1 & 2 (3?), etc. In fact, even PC games.

This is huge.

Will it play PC games?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but since this console will be android based, wouldn't it be possible to run OnLive on it? There goes at least some PC support right there.

Sounds like fun I I really hope it is more stable than my other Android devices!

I love my Nexus and Transformer but I have to be honest, recently I am hating them both. The transformer more so.

It constantly crashes, I have had to do 3 full reboots since saturday because my whole home screen icons just dissappeared!

It has gathered $1,873,986 as of writing. That's nearly twice their goal. And they still have 29 days to go!

I also heard since it's Android-based, it could potentially be hacked to run emulators. Such as N64, Dreamcast, PlayStation 1 & 2 (3?), etc. In fact, even PC games.

This is huge.

My 2.5 year old HTC EVO can be 'hacked' to run emulators. With the HDMI output to a TV and bluetooth + a PS3 controller, it's already an android based console. (I don't know if this would have worked before I rooted it however.)

My 2.5 year old HTC EVO can be 'hacked' to run emulators. With the HDMI output to a TV and bluetooth + a PS3 controller, it's already an android based console. (I don't know if this would have worked before I rooted it however.)

Right, but being Android-based is not an universal connotation that applies to every device.

This is an Android-based console, specifically engineered not only to be open (and thus hacked), but also to packs the hardware required to play (or stream) both console and PC games. All for free. The possibilities on this machine when compared to your EVO simply are, well, let's just say it's night and day.

I'll be first in line to buy this. I was already planning to boycott the next generation consoles with all this talk of banning used games. This will be the death nail in the coffin for both Microsoft's and Sony's next consoles.

Back