Overclocked AMD 2800 vs 64 3200

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjang

ive heard u cant overclock the new amd's too much so is a safely overclocked 2800 better money wise + performance ? i know the 3200 64-bit will beat it, but is the 300$ more worth it? also can u put pc3700/466 or pc4000 ddr ram work in a mother board made for ddr400? i cant find a Mobo that will work with that type of ram

You can't run a 64 bit OS on a 32 bit CPU, so that 32 bit CPU is not futureproof. 64 bit will become the norm a few years from now and your (by then) prehistoric Athlon64 will be able to run it.

I don't think the Athlon 64s are worth it yet. They don't offer anything over the AthlonXPs currently (excluding the slight increase in performance). I'm personally going to wait until DDR2 and PCI Express are available with a 64bit operating system for the Athlon64.

Originally posted by Telexen
I don't think the Athlon 64s are worth it yet. They don't offer anything over the AthlonXPs currently (excluding the slight increase in performance). I'm personally going to wait until DDR2 and PCI Express are available with a 64bit operating system for the Athlon64.

I suppose 64bit vs. 32bit is nothing at all then :rolleyes:

Say you bought a 64 3000+, as opposed to some other 32bit Athlon. Once your PCI Express and DDR2 comes out you have the option of keeping this CPU or buying another one. Plus you can have a 2nd 64bit system, as opposed to having an even older 32bit system with the one you buy now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back