Overclocking keeps failing

realbaz

When i overclock my processor i get an overclock fail and need to change the FSB back, it runs at 200 mhz normal, i get severe instability issues when i up the FSB to 210... Im thinking it could be my useless power supply, any ideas?

1. Motherboard - BIOSTAR P43-A7
2. Graphic interface - Pci-EX nvidia 8400 GS
3. Memory - 4GB DDR2 ( running ing X86 so only 3GB technically)
4. CPU & Speed :
6. Power Supply Make/Model - CIC (cannot find make)
7. Watt output/Amperage - 450W

Your mobo isnt too over clock friendly. PSU could be an issue, but probably not for what you're trying to do.

According to an online calc, my psu minimum requirements should be 442 W , Would getting a 500W psu let me overclock more freeely? The it can boot with a higher FSB but...when i run one of the new games it just crashes, methinks... lack of power?

Look up your motherboard, its crap for overclocking, to overclock you need to start with a good platform=motherboard.

get one ofthese Cheap Asus or MSI mobo, even the cehapest one is good for a newbie on the overcloking field.

It is not the wattage of the psu that is as important as the quality. Corsair psu's are one of the premiere brands.

Did you put your RAM on a lower divider? When you increase your FSB you are raising your entire system speed, increasing the risk of failure.
Can you lock the pci on that mobo? If so, you need to do it.

that mobo is actually not that bad, it has a decent chipset, im using g31 mobos for super cheap (family friends) gaming builds and even then im able to oc any intel cpu with no problem, it might be a dud cpu, or maybe a ram problem ( hangs? try mem test) try with just one stick of ram, and see what happens, also buy a decent psu, thats -always- the best investment you can do.

I did a complete ram test ( windows 7 built in one, ) all my ram is perfect, my CPU was brand new about 2 months ago, would upgrading from 450-500W make a big difference ?

Are you putting your RAM on a lower multi when you up the FSB? If you are not, you are running it outside it's specs.

You PSU question has been answered :)

Your RAM should be on a multiplier so that when you raise your FSB to overclock the cpu, you are able to lower the RAM speed so as to keep it within it's specifications.
A little overclock can usually be handled, but not too much (without adding a lot of volts to the RAM, or loosening the RAM timings).
Check in your BIOS.

Back