Overclocking My Xp3200+

Status
Not open for further replies.

scooby

i am about to endevour on some overclocking on my cpu. i am pretty sure about the right way of doing it but i wanted to check that i was correct in saying the folowing:cool:
- adjusting your multiplyer in small increments(my current setting is x11)
-and the fsb also in small increments( standard is 200(400ddr))
although im not sure i can adjust my fsb as i looked and the max was 200 so if anyone knows about weather you can adjust this setting or not on the asus a7n8x deluxe mobo.
-icrease the cpu voltage slightly dependant on how much i clock the cpu( bearing in mind that i should only do this if i am suffering instability??? )
-last but not least COOLING!!, i know that this is quite important. i have a coolermater aero7+ atm and on idle it keeps the cpu at the low 40's do you think i should replace? this fan. or will it cut the mustard and be able to keep my cpu with a couple hundred extra mghz cool :confused:
-lastly am i correct in presuming that my cpu will be ok as long as i dosnt go over 65-70 degres?
cheers:)
oh, 1 more thing, if i up my cpu fsb will i need to run my memory at the same? (is current duel channel 400ddr)

well i uped my multiplyewr to 12.5 which made it 2500mghz and also the voltage a little bit, upon restart it craped out on me so it didnt like that 1 bit!! :( so i dropped the multiplyer to x12 and this made the speed 2400mghz and i uped the voltage from 1.6 to 1.7 and it seems to be able to handle this, i ran 3dmarks 2003 on it and it completed the whole test without crashing. temps remained around the 45to49 mark, is this correct? i know i should try and put the cpu under more strain for a longer amount of time so i can really check temps, which i will do when i get some time, but having said all that is it worth it in then end? to go from 2200mghz standard to 2400 i mean? i am yet to run 3d marks standard to see a score difference yet so i dont really know.:)

thats a fairly impressive overclock
to work out wether it is worth it dont both with 'sythetic' benchmarks (3dmark 01 & 03) use something like the UT2k3 benchmark which shows wether u actually get any performance increase in the games you play. 1000 3d 01 marks can make very little difference in games but put lots of extra stress on the componets so if the game performance isnt up considerably its not worth the risk.
for long term temp/stability tests i reccommed something like SETI or the distributed.net computing programs - they will stress the CPU over a good long time and show up any problems that u might have.
hope that helps

Steg

Just out of curiosuty, why would you want to overclock given the fact that you already have a very high end CPU?

A 200MHz overclock. Okay.

...And I overclocked my Pentium 4 800MHz+ beyond it's rated speed. And I bet you can't notice a change of 200MHz, even with an Athlon XP. And I'm not talking in terms of 3DMarks :rolleyes:

Probably paid half as much for it too :)

And BTW Athlon XPs usually don't POST when you change the multiplier without unlocking the L bridges...

well i am not really that well educated on this subject tbh so here and there im going to be doing stuff that seems pointless and i wont even know about it. a 200mhz increase was all i could manage 2500mhz was to much for some reason it did not like it, i dont know why because i dont know enough about this area of computing! and i dont even know what the last quote by Vehementi means really? you will have to simplify.:(
(i also realised i put this thread in the wrong place after i posted it, sorry!)

oh yeah so does this mean i am restricted to what i can go to? and Vehementi u prolly got watercolling or somthing, which i dont :(

Im with young&wild on this, you put your cpu under strain to achieve a few more points on a benchmark, and I bet you cannot see any difference at all in a game. I went from a xp1800+ to a xp2600+ and the diff is negligable.

But each to his own and if you can afford to risk your Cpu good luck.

Over Clocking the CPU does have it's benefits... IF you are willing to risk the consequences of an over-clock gone bad!

Intel CPUs are well known for higher overclocks then AMD chips. As far as his possible limited ability for a high over-clock: he has the max available CPU speed, so outrageous OCing without exotic cooling won't be possible.

As far as performance gains, FSB OCs will reap higher benefits at same final frequency then just a multiplier increase. However, if the chipset/board do not support PCI/AGP lock, you run the risk of instability, or damage to PCI devices.

And why should we OC for even just a minimal gain? Because we can?! Because of pride, and the challenge? Those of you that scuff OCing on your computer, is your main ride (auto/truck/bike) pure stock?!

Want to join in that discussion? Challenge the moderator here: http://www.redbarncomputers.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11

fair enough i see your point, it was just an experement anyway, i have decided t o leave it as it is for now. i can agree that 200mhz makes minimal diference really. just 1 thing, i did not have to unlock anything ion my mobo is this a good thing or not? :)

i have heard various different remarks - but from what i have been able to decern from reading forums and experiance (my friend recently bought a 2500+) all Athlon XP bartons come with unlocked multipliers and therefore the mulitplier can be changed without shorting the L(3?) bridges. Palaminos and Throughbreds have to be unlocked by shorting said bridges before the multipliers can be changed.

Steg

XP2500s are great for overclocking. I'm pushin 2.2Ghz (3200 speeds) with the simple (200x11). My idle temp is about 37C, and that's just fine for me.

I'm surprised the Tt Silent Boost handles so well for being so quiet. I'll probably eventually lap the sink as well to pull a few more degrees out of it.

From what I've seen most Tbreds chips don't run much above 2400, I can only run about 2380 at tops. The lower multipliers ar available to use and you can use a fine wire to short two pins in the socket to enable the higher multipliers, but the best overclocking is done with lower multipliers and higher FSBs. I'm running at 10.5x225 right now. pretty much the same CPU speed as 12x196, but the memory bandwidth has increased by 12% even with a slightly relaxed memory timing. I havent tried 10x237 yet, dunno how far the top FSB setting really goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back