Overclocking

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeekieNick101

I have a question I have no clue how to overclock a CPU to improve the perfromance?
Heres the specs
Inspiron B120 Laptop

Intel Celeron M 360 (1.40GHz/1MB Cache/400MHz FSB)

14.1 WXGA Display

512MB,DDR2,533MHz,2 DIMM

Integrated Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 900

40GB Ultra-ATA Hard Drive

Microsoft Windows XP Home Service Pack 2

Integrated Network Card

Internal 56K Modem

24X Combo CD-RW/DVD

Dell 1370 Internal Wireless (802.11b/g, 54Mbps)

35 WHr 4-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery

Thanks for your help

I am no expert, but before you over clock you are going to need to upgrade from your stock CPU fan if that is possible on a laptop.
cheers
hynesy:wave:

I'd leave the laptop as it is. Any tweaking I'd do would be related to increasing battery life :p

Laptops usually have really tight thermal control. Which is why overclocking is left to desktops, where there's more headroom to play with in terms of temperature.

Ok, Thak you yeah I was wondering since more heat is caused when people overclock and I seen were Dell alptops exploded and it was a B130 I tihnk so thats close to mine. I just got this comptuer for internet use only and got a really good deal on it I just was wondering if I could speed it up but I guess its a desktop thing I never really noticed that before but your right I never heard of anyone really overclocking laptops.
Thanks for help

Usually oc'ing is done in the bios, but you have two things that will likely prevent you from bios overclocking, first your computer is a laptop(few laptops have overclocking options), and second your computer is a dell(dell rarely, except on their highest end computers, puts overclocking options on their system).

The second option would be overclocking from within windows from a software program, like clockgen, but clockgen only supports some motherboards/chipsets, and I don't see your laptops intel 910gml chipset listed as one of them.

On laptops you basically have to pay for the processor speed you want up front, since almost all laptops cannot be overclocked, and it tends to be difficult to upgrade to a faster processor later.

you forgot that some manufactuers deliberately lock chips from being overclocked in later editions. This is exactly what happed with the athlon XP line. Early versions of the chip were easily overclocked. Later ones were not.
I don't ever recommend overclocking. It shortens the life of the chip and in many cases will outright destroy it.

tedster has a point on shortening the life of a chip, but if done properly, overclocking rarely destroys a chip.

Chips have a lifespan of over 10 years, and overclocking can shorten it alot, sometimes as much as half, but this is reduced with adequate cooling solutions. Besides, if your computer is 5 years old its about time to get a new one.

Always do your research before doing something that can potentially destroy your comp, such as overclocking. So your first reaction (assuming its your first) by coming here and post is a good one.

Even with cooling, the chip life is shortened. Essentially you're overworking the CPU. The main reason I don't recommend overclocking is that most people lack the skills to do it right. They wind up burning out the chip (usually an expensive one) and then they're mad about it. Overclocking is not something to be tried by newbies and should only be attempted by VERY experienced computer users who are ALSO willing to take the risk of destroying their components. I consider myself very knowledgable and experienced with computers. I have tried overclocking before, burned out a CPU as well as 3 sets of memory. I have also been able to do it right.... but I have the financial means to risk doing such things. Most of the requests and comments about overclocking appear to be from young, new, and inexperienced computer users who probably also don't have the financial means to correct their mistakes.

People have to learn sometimes. So you're doing us all a favor by reminding people that overclocking runs a risk of permanently damaging the component.

Rarely happens, but it still happens.

Bottom line is: If you can't afford to buy new components, do not overclock.

CMH said:
People have to learn sometimes. So you're doing us all a favor by reminding people that overclocking runs a risk of permanently damaging the component.

I have to disagree with CMH, overclocking runs a high risk of permanent gamage, not to mention if you dont damage it, there is a high chance that the processor won't last long at all
cheers
hynesy

Ok I guess I wont overclcokthis laptop, but if something does go wrong becuase I did overclock it I could afford it but I wouldnt fix the laptop I would just purchase a new system. Also I have a 3 year home service contract with acdential warrtney but I doubt it covers overclocking

yeah, i would say 95% of the time maybe even more, overclocking isnt covered by servicing
cheers
hynesy

CMH said:

I wouldn't say rarely. I'd say it's very common.

Yeah Also overclocking is ususaly only done in desktops as well but also ususaly done either if you have water or liquid cooling or something like that also it will most likely void the warrntey if its a already built system such as dell, gateway, etc also i seen where a few months ago dell had a xps they sold that was overclocked the price was steep $9,999 was common

whoa, for a dell, i don't care how good the dell was or how high it was overclocked, i will never that much for a dell

Thank you so much evryone, i guess im not oevrclocking I dont know how to anways and I dont want to damage anytihngs thank you so much for warning me

people who destroy their system by overclocking usually mess with much more than the FSB. Thats the part that overclocking rarely destroys the comp.

Once you're trying to acheive that max clock... and in comes those volmods, and stuff..... you're into dangerous territory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back