Need tech help, buying new desktop PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
My daughter"s Compax Presario crashed 3 times HP is replacing it with a new one, I dont know if the new one is a decent unit. It is used for school & surfing the net. No gaming! here are the specs:
– Espresso Black
– Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium with Service Pack 1 (64-bit)
– AMD Turion(TM) X2 Dual-Core Mobile Processor RM-75 (2.2GHz, 1MB L2 Cache, 4.0 GT's Bus Speed)
– FREE Upgrade to 4GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm)
– FREE Upgrade to 320GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
– ATI Radeon(TM) HD 3200 Graphics
– 16.0" diagonal High Definition HP Brightview Display (1366x768)
– Blu-Ray ROM with SuperMulti DVD+/-R/RW Double Layer
– Webcam + Fingerprint Reader
– Wireless-G Card with Bluetooth
– HP Color Matching Keyboard
– 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
– No Modem
Old unit:
GHz Intel Pentium Dual-Core Mobile Processor T3200
Microprocessor Cache 1 MB L2 Cache
Memory 2048 MB
Memory Max Up to 3GB DDR2
Video Graphics Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD
Video Memory Up to 765 MB
Hard Drive 160 GB (5400 rpm)
Multimedia Drive LightScribe Super Multi 8X DVD±R/RW with Double Layer Support
Display 15.4" WXGA High-Definition BrightView Widescreen (1280 x 800)
Fax/Modem High speed 56K modem
Network Card Integrated 10/100 Ethernet LAN
Wireless Connectivity 802.11b/g WLAN
Sound Altec Lansing speakers
Keyboard 101-key compatible
Pointing Device Touch Pad with dedicated vertical and horizontal Scroll Up/Down pad

65 W AC Adapter
6-cell Lithium-Ion (Li-Ion)
PLEASE HELP IM CLUELESS!

Overall, spec-wise it's better than the old system, but you'll likely have less time on the battery.

It's definitely worth the trade, though. You're getting a better GPU, double the RAM, way more storage space, a larger display and a Blu-ray player (expensive). The CPUs are probably about on-par with each other in terms of performance, but I'd wager that the new one is a tad more power hungry.

See if they'll throw a battery upgrade in for free or little charge, while you have 'em by the throat. Ask for a 9-cell battery.

*Edit*

If they give you a bit of fuss, tell them that you're extremely satisfied with the replacement but your daughter uses the system for school work and battery performance means a lot to her. Tell them the new one won't last as long because of the above reasons.

Those free upgrades a good deal get them. 4GB and 320GB HDD. I always recommend HP as I own one for a few years now. No issues except for heat but that's because of the AMD X2 CPU but then I can use AMD Power-saver option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back