Packet sending but not receiving on LAN

I have been searching many posts and still cannot solve this problem
after formatting the computer and installing windows xp, all the drivers had to be installed. The ethernet driver was installed as well and it says network is connected.

But the problem is that it is sending packets slowly but not receiving any at all.
A wireless modem is connected to the router and it is working, it's just the LAN that does not work.

I have already tried
-turning on 'obtain ip address automatically' and DNS as well.
-resetting the router
-release and renew ip address from cmd
-turning off firewall

says dhcp is enabled in ipconfig

And i am wondering if having 00-00-00-00-00-00 as the physical address is normal.
Please answer this problem!!

But the problem is that it is sending packets slowly but not receiving any at all.
How did you check? Did you try to copy a file from a network share?

Davedave123 said:
A wireless modem is connected to the router and it is working, it's just the LAN that does not work.
I'm assuming it is a wireless LAN adapter attached to the pc. And it successfully connected to the network. Is this correct?

Can you run "ipconfig /all" with only wired connection and paste the results here. And do the same with only wireless connection.
Can you ping the ip address of the router?
Also check the device manager, make sure there are no problems.

How did you check? Did you try to copy a file from a network share?

I'm assuming it is a wireless LAN adapter attached to the pc. And it successfully connected to the network. Is this correct?

Can you run "ipconfig /all" with only wired connection and paste the results here. And do the same with only wireless connection.
Can you ping the ip address of the router?
Also check the device manager, make sure there are no problems.

-I checked from opening local area connection status, and not sure about copying a file from a network share
-not sure its a wireless adapter, it's from a desktop. and it does say it is connected

This is the ipconfig/all from the wireless

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Dongjae-HP
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : phub.net.cable.rogers.com

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection 2:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : C0-F8-DA-82-41-2C
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : uwaterloo.ca
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 78-E3-B5-51-D6-44

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : phub.net.cable.rogers.com
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Ralink RT5390 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : C0-F8-DA-82-41-2D
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::c8dd:8080:663f:38ae%13(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.xx.xxx(Preferred)( i hid some)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 2012년 1월 14일 토요일 오전 9:58:19
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 2012년 1월 21일 토요일 오전 10:42:36
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.10.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.10.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 297859290
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-15-8E-1F-AC-C0-F8-DA-82-41-2D

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.10.1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter isatap.phub.net.cable.rogers.com:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : phub.net.cable.rogers.com
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 18:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:4137:9e76:4da:f7c:9c12:2f4a(Prefer
red)
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::4da:f7c:9c12:2f4a%27(Preferred)
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Tunnel adapter isatap.uwaterloo.ca:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #3

Tunnel adapter isatap.{3E5E336A-B192-4BA7-984C-45071A747ED7}:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #4

This is for the desktop with the problem

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : kang
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/1000 PM Network Connect
ion
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.yyy.xxx (i hid some digits)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.yyy.254
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.yyy.254
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.10.1
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Friday, January 13, 2012 7:54:36 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, January 14, 2012 7:54:36 P
M

after pinging the address,

Ping statistics for 192.168.yyy.xxx:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

but local area connection still says about 1000 packets sent and 0 received.

In the device manager i have still yet to install the audio driver, which will be done after the connection
and an unknown device.... I have tried using an unknown device finder but it shows all the devices I have...
but the ethernet adapter is installed.

Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::c8dd:8080:663f:38ae%13(Preferred)
Our home systems do not need
(and frequently mess up real good) IPv6.

Google for "disable IPV6" and find the Fixit for your system
and apply the Disable All fix

So you have 2 pcs, one with wired connection and the other wireless connection. Do you have more than one routers? If you are using the same router for the wired/wireless connection, your pcs should have the same default gateway and dhcp server. Set auto-obtain for the DNS servers.
Ping statistics for 192.168.yyy.xxx:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms
It says "Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss)" which means you have received all the packets. Unable to see accurate statistics of LAN status could be a driver issue. Try pinging 123.123.123.123 you should have timeouts. Also try uninstall/reinstall disable/enable your network device (Intel(R) PRO/1000 PM) through device manager.

Can you access the internet with the wired connection? Is the problem only the inaccurate statistics of the LAN status of your wired connection?

So you have 2 pcs, one with wired connection and the other wireless connection. Do you have more than one routers? If you are using the same router for the wired/wireless connection, your pcs should have the same default gateway and dhcp server. Set auto-obtain for the DNS servers.

It says "Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss)" which means you have received all the packets. Unable to see accurate statistics of LAN status could be a driver issue. Try pinging 123.123.123.123 you should have timeouts. Also try uninstall/reinstall disable/enable your network device (Intel(R) PRO/1000 PM) through device manager.

Can you access the internet with the wired connection? Is the problem only the inaccurate statistics of the LAN status of your wired connection?

-Yes the desktop connects to this long distance phone thing to the wireless router and then to the modem. So we only have one router.

-When i ping my ip address i get 0% loss, but when I tried pinging 123.123.123.123 it said 'request timed out' and showed 100% loss.( 4 sent, 0 received)

-When nothing seemed to work, I tried formatting again and installed the same drivers but got the same results. The internet does not work on the desktop.
I open internet explorer and get the 'work offline' window ( no connection to the internet is currently available. To view internet content that has been saved on you computer, click work offline)

-Maybe it's the wrong driver? but why does it let me start the network wizard and say the network is enabled?

No need to hide your LAN IPs we only want to help. Im guessing 192.168.yyy.254 yyy=10 is this correct? Can you tell us the LAN IP of your wired and wireless connection.

With your wireless connection:
ping 192.168.10.1
ping 192.168.10.254
ping the IP address of your wireless device
ping the IP address of your wired device
paste results here. Do the same with wired connection.

No need to hide your LAN IPs we only want to help. Im guessing 192.168.yyy.254 yyy=10 is this correct? Can you tell us the LAN IP of your wired and wireless connection.

ping 192.168.10.1
ping 192.168.10.254
paste results here. Do the same with wired connection.

I get '192.168.10.254' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file
for all 4 times

192.168.123.189 for wired
and cannot find for wireless

Just curious if you went to "Internet Properties" in C.P. and tried setting up an internet connection. when you do any TCP/IP changes make sure you are doing them on the IPv4 properties and NOT IPv6 properties.

Just curious if you went to "Internet Properties" in C.P. and tried setting up an internet connection. when you do any TCP/IP changes make sure you are doing them on the IPv4 properties and NOT IPv6 properties.

so when i installed the internet i think this was what i did
internet setup->setup a home or small network -> this computer connects to the internet through a residential gateway or through another computer on my network-> turn on file and printer sharing->and finished.

and the properties i used are from the 'local area connection' icon i got from that.
and turned the firewall off

And i tried repairing and this is what i get:
windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following cannot be completed:
Renewing your IP address.

Maybe this is the problem.

internet setup->setup a home or small network -> this computer connects to the internet through a residential gateway or through another computer on my network-> turn on file and printer sharing->and finished.
I believe this is your problem. Delete the Internet connection. internet setup->setup a home or small network -> this computer is always connected to the internet -> turn on file and printer sharing->and finished

I believe this is your problem. Delete the Internet connection. internet setup->setup a home or small network -> this computer is always connected to the internet -> turn on file and printer sharing->and finished

Hmm.. these are the only choices

-This computer connects directly to the internet. The other computers on my network connect to the internet through this computer
( did not work )
-The computer connects to the internet through a residential gateway or through another computer on my network( the current one)
-This computer connects to the internet directly through a network hub. Other computers on my network also connect to the internet directly through a hub( same result)
-This computer connects directly to the internet. I do not have a network yet.(same)
-This computer belongs to a network that does not have an internet connection(same)

The thing about the IP address bothers me.

I get '192.168.10.254' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file
for all 4 times

192.168.123.189 for wired
and cannot find for wireless

You misunderstood my instructions. But if you manually assign IP address IP:192.168.10.189, subnet mask:255.255.255.0 gateway:192.168.10.1 you should be able to access the internet.

i tried manually putting in the numbers i got from the ipconfig/all

the numbers have changed from the ones i gave before

left the DNS servers blank

still no internet

Sounds eerily familiar... The fact that your "physical address" is all 0s makes me suspect you have a serious driver issue of some kind - every networkable piece of hardware has a physical MAC address, so there is something very funky happening in your setup. Usually, for a MAC address to not match up, there has to be some kind of MAC cloning or other override in place.

Anyhow, as I said, this seems familiar... I had an internal NIC card that was doing basically the same thing, and here is how I fixed it:

1) Get into the Device Manager (from Control Panel) and find the entry for that piece of hardware. If it's got a yellow "!" mark, driver is bad or needs updated. Even if it thinks it has passed, it could still be an issue (as it was with my card).

2) Right click on the hardware entry, and select the uninstall option. If it asks you whether you just want to disable it or completely uninstall it, choose complete uninstall.

3) Unplug your device immediately following the driver uninstall. Might be good to reboot (even if it doesn't ask you to) just to be sure it's scrubbed.

4) If you can find the latest & greatest version of that specific piece of hardware's drivers, install them first, then plug the unit in.

5) Cross you fingers, pray to the computer gods, sacrifice a goat... Whatever it takes, man!

After the complete uninstall and fresh driver install, my system recognized the NIC and worked fine after that. It was very odd, because I couldn't even mange to get the "update drivers" option to work previously. Maybe you are experiencing the same roadblock...

Oh, and P.S. Double-check the firewall... If you are running a separate firewall/security program, sometimes the default Windows firewall can pop up active on some hardware, even though you have the main firewall program disabled for that connection. Firewalls can be funky and a bit sneaky at times...

<snip>
And i am wondering if having 00-00-00-00-00-00 as the physical address is normal.
No. It's not normal.

Every net device MUST have a physical (MAC) address. The device can't send/receive LAN data without it. The device must have a non-zero physical address

It could be a bad driver as Vrmithrax notes. (Does the driver in Device Manager have a yellow icon? ) You can try a driver reinstall. Otherwise, it could be a faulty network card.

You might also look HERE. A couple people with XP say they hacked a bogus MAC address and they got around the problem.

i tried manually putting in the numbers i got from the ipconfig/all

the numbers have changed from the ones i gave before

left the DNS servers blank

still no internet

Have you tried putting in the numbers I gave you?

ping 192.168.10.1
ping 192.168.123.254
paste results here.
Do the same with wired connection.

You claim to have an ip of 192.168.123.189 (wired) which is on a different network compared with 192.168.10.1 both have the same subnet mask (/24). It is odd to have two different networks each with its own dhcp server with only a single residential router.

Unable to access the internet is a very broad description of the problem. Pls provide provide the requested information.

Back