Partition questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been having a difficult time finding information on partitions, so any help would be appreciated.

I am currently running Windows 7, and currently have 4 main partitions, all basic ntfs. I need three - two of them are Windows 7057 and Windows Vista (business), and the other two are a recovery ntfs made by dell, and the final one is a 94mb one created by... something. ( I'll assume one of the windows installations). I want another basic ntfs partition for data, in case one of the copies of windows goes down (or both), and for easy data organization. My question is this. It's not letting me create another basic (I assume the limit is 4). Can I change the recovery basic ntfs into dynamic, and then create another basic ntfs? or does the dynamic extend off the basic, but doesn't remove it?

Finally, what is so special about the dynamic? I've read a few things on it but the differences don't seem to make sense to me.

Do you need the Dell Recovery partition?

Windows 7 build 7057 creates a ~100meg partition for some reason, so you were right in assuming that one of the Windows installations did that. I don't know why it does and didn't on the public beta (or any other prior Windows OS...).

I think there is a limit of 4, but I can't answer your question what happens on converting or extending, because I don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back