Partly damaged graphics card and acting strangely

Hi,
My Graphic Card is damaged but is usable, with some patience. I probably is going to use another, but I am interested in what happens. It is acting a bit strange.

When i turn on my computer the monitor is blank for some minutes, then later an image appear unstable and flickering and even offset the center of the monitor, double image and very noisy. It's gradually better, until after ¾-1 hours the image is fully normal. When the monitor have been in power save mode or turned off for about ½ hours, a little noise and flicker starts again. It dissapear again after awhile. Also the card do not recognize the monitor anymore (Brand, model and resolutions).

I feel like that it is some electric component which first "power up", charge up or warm up, before the graphics will work correct. At the same time it looks like that my system (Ubuntu) are testing different setups under the time. This could have another explanation. I will check that.

I think I did the damage by hotplugging the monitor.

I also I tested my LCD TV on my graphic card, but I don't think that did anything.

Regards
Lars

What graphics card is it? What make, model and year is your monitor? It sounds more to me like an issue with the monitor. What exactly happened when you tried your LCD TV with it? Did it do the same thing? If it worked fine, you more then likely damaged the monitor while hot swapping it. Its always best to turn the system off when doing those types of things.

The graphic card is an onboard Intel 82865G, my monitor is an Acer 1916 but it is the Intel graphics that's bad. I just tested again with my LCD TV, and it's the same problem. But I found out that if I turn of the screensaver so the picture is on all the time it take just 15 minutes to "warm", and then it's fully normal! I still think I am going to buy a new card though. (I am looking at this one: ASUS AH3450/DI/512MD2(LP))

It worked fine with the LCD TV, I was working on getting the resolution up to 1920x1080, and it did at last, but it did not fill the whole screen. It was shortly after that the problem occurred. I do not remember doing much else than hotplugging after I got too impatient :)

Regards

That video card looks ok. But make sure your motherboard has an AGP slot before you buy it, otherwise you wont be able to use the card.

Back