Passenger shows the surprising portability of iMacs by using one on a train

midian182

Staff member

Today’s laptops, tablets, and 2-in-1s might be mobile powerhouses, but there are those times when you just can’t beat a desktop. One would imagine, however, that traveling on a train limits your computer use to portable devices, though the woman with the iMac in the picture above probably disagrees.

The photograph was posted on Twitter by Dave Hill, who works for VMware Cloud Services Business Unit. Originally from Middlesbrough in the UK, Hill was visiting England from his Texas home for a meeting when he spotted the Apple user.

"It was the Virgin East Coast Darlington - London on Tuesday 14:58 in First Class. I had just been to the vestibule and walked past and saw the full iMac computer on the table,” he told the Telegraph.

"I work for a software company, and been traveling on the trains for about 15 years, I have never seen anything like it. The lady had a full wired keyboard and mouse."

It seems the passenger wanted to bring all their home comforts into the Virgin carriage; she’s also got a blanket with her.

In fairness to the lady in question, many people on Twitter commented that bringing their desktops onto a train is something they’ve considered in the past. And at least it’s an all-in-one iMac that could fit in some, admittedly hefty, baggage; try setting up a PC with a Phanteks Enthoo Elite case and 34-inch monitor inside a train carriage – now that would be impressive/stupid.

Permalink to story.

It's a first class seat with AC power on an intercity Virgin service. Us mere mortals herded onto livestock commuter services don't get the same perks (a seat is a luxury for us).....
Thanks. I was thinking that maybe she had rigged something to the overhead power lines. ;)

My desktop would probably not be able to run off of a train or airplane power outlet due to drawing too much power from the outlet.

Kudos to her. the fact that she could manage to unplug and replug all the necessary wires properly and get it up running, is worth mentioning because... one would assume a lady with an imac would not be capable of such feat.
It's an all in one... it's as difficult as plugging in the keyboard/mouse and power...
LOL @ The microsoft keyboard.
This was my first thought -same as other people lol-, you are carrying a desktop into first class, how much of a cheap bastard you have to be to not bring your bluetooth keyboard+mouse lol.

A windows user could do the same thing with a NUC sized computer mounted to the back of a slim monitor with a wireless mouse and keyboard... Not that I would ever want to do something like that myself, even though I do have a spare setup like that, but surely if this women can afford an imac and a first class virgin train ticket then she can easily afford a macbook pro.

Kudos to her. the fact that she could manage to unplug and replug all the necessary wires properly and get it up running, is worth mentioning because... one would assume a lady with an imac would not be capable of such feat.

I believe it would be the power lead, a USB mouse and a USB keyboard. My grandmother could do it. She's literally 100 and never touched a computer in her life.

I imagine she was probably transporting the thing to/from home/work and figured, eh, why not?

iMac, full wired keyboard and mouse, book stuck in window edge, on the phone and wrapped in a blanket in a first class seat. She either owns the train or had her personal assistant carry the luggage methinks

Back