Patent reveals possible first look at Google's gaming controller

onetheycallEric

Staff
Highly anticipated: Google is expected to announce its gaming console at the Game Developers Conference on March 19th. A new patent filed last year and published in January 2019, offers what could be a first look at Google designed hardware. Little else is known about hardware specifications, but the console has been likened to a "Netflix of games" powered by Chromecast and Project Stream technology.

Google has a mysterious announcement to make at GDC 2019, and we're speculating that announcement will regard their rumored Project Yeti console, the hardware that is expected to accompany Google's "Netflix of games" streaming service powered by Chromecast and Project Stream technology.

A patent has surfaced that offers a glimpse as to what Google's controller design could look like. The patent has a January 31, 2019 publication date, and uses line drawings to outline what is mostly pretty standard fare for a console controller. The controller offers the traditional D-pad, thumb sticks, four primary buttons, and four trigger buttons. Additionally, there's a menu button, a home button, a Google button, and a microphone button.

The Reps Twitter account posted a tweet showing off renders of the controller. The renders appear to be the ones from Yanko Design, and may or may not be indicative of the final product.

The patent also details a notification system built into the controller, that could permit a "seamless activation of a game or other application on a host device from a game controller." The notification system could also alert users to changes in player scores, a chat message, or an invitation.

A device and method are disclosed for a game controller that provides notifications for a game invitation, a chat message, an indication that a user's high score has been beaten, or the like. The notification may be provided by an audio and/or visual cue on the game controller. The game controller, in an implementation, may be utilized to activate one or more host devices (e.g., a television monitor, a tablet, a smartphone, etc.) if the user presses an action button on the controller or accepts the notification.

This year's GDC kicks off March 19th in San Fransisco, CA. It won't be long until we learn all there needs to know about Google's entry into the gaming industry.

Permalink to story.

I've never actually ranked ugliest controller's I've ever seen, but this has to be somewhere in the top 3. Lets all hope this was a photohop job.

Instead of focusing on something that looks different, how about they just focus on something that's comfortable. That doesn't even look remotely comfortable. I personally have never liked a Playstation controller. They have better tech in the controller these days, but it's still not a good feeling in my hands. Microsoft has nailed the way a controller should feel in your hands. The Xbox One controller is easily the most comfortable controller available, in my opinion.

Instead of focusing on something that looks different, how about they just focus on something that's comfortable. That doesn't even look remotely comfortable. I personally have never liked a Playstation controller. They have better tech in the controller these days, but it's still not a good feeling in my hands. Microsoft has nailed the way a controller should feel in your hands. The Xbox One controller is easily the most comfortable controller available, in my opinion.
I agree, I love the Xbox One controller. My first though was that this controller couldn't possibly be comfortable. But, I've been wrong before, so I guess I'll reserve my judgment until I can actually hold one.

How can it be called a games console when it's just a streaming box?

Unless the games can be run locally, offline, then it isn't a games console.

I grew up playing playstation one with the original controller and first dualshock. it was comfortable for me, until I got a xbox360 with kinect many years later. the xbox 360 is the better controller except for the DPAD. I know the DPAD is fixed in the xbox one controller, but what I like about the dualshock is the DPADs are independent, so switching quickly between left right left right means your thumb is between collapsed button. in the xbox 360, your thumb pivots left and right, which isn't as good for me. not sure about the xbox one controller, but it seems to pivot as well.

if only someone could make a fusion of the xbox one controller, with DPAD and pressure sensitive buttons from the dualshock... I mean one can always dream right?

Back