PC doesn't POST, fans at full speed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
I have an Emachines T6414 with a new videocard and sound card, neither of which require a seperate power connector than their slot on the mobo. THey were both in the machine for a few months when I decided to update my BIOS. I was updating my bios, and everything appeared to have worked. At the end it said: "success...press f1 to reboot" so I did. Then the problem started.

When I rebooted the PC the computer did not post, it only had all the fans (CPU, Main and Videocard) going full blast and the hard drive made a little noise, but nothing booted. I reseated the CPU, same thing. I called Emachines tech support and decided that the bios process actually didn't work. So, I bought a replacement bios from an online vendor, Biosman. I gave them the BIOS that the tech support had emailed me. I switched out the bios for the new one, and the same process happened still-no post, full fans and the hard drive warming up. At that point I bought a new PC and got the Geek Squad to transfer the data over.

So now I have come here for a last gasp attempt to revive the POS. I just read that the power supply could be the culprit. How should I determine what part has become faulty?

Thanks in advance. :dead:

ok from that I would say its defo the grahpics card! So try taking it out and putting it back in!

if that doesn't work there is something wrong with the card itself or the power supply to the card!

I have had the card for 5 months with absolutely no problems. I really doubt that it is the problem, as I have connected the monitor to bothi it and the onboard graphics while troubleshooting.

Ermm ok then, well I haven't, in my experience, heard of anything else to have gone wrong like this! The only other thing I have seen is the card just die, in which case you could test by putting in another card as temp to see if it makes a difference!

Sorry I couldnt be of more help! :(

I happen to agree the video card sounds like it died, but to put in another computer with the same slot would be the best test.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back