Pc fails to install software ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

r1_forever

I have just finished formatting/re-installing xp on a friends Pc and when I attempt to install a piece of software it gives me errors and has to abort. I get failed to read data from CD. So I tried copying the file via my network onto this Pc and then installing it. Same thing or corrupt file. So I installed it via the network from the other Pc and it works fine that way. I have had to do this with nearly every piece of software so far. Could this be due to a bad instll of Xp? I have never experienced this problem before so I don't want to have to uninstall and try again if I can help it. If it is a small file like winrar or daemon tools install it works fine, but anything that takes a while will generally not work. Thanks in advance for any help given.

Andrew.

You may have to update the MS Installer before you attempt other installations. I don't use XP, but the above has been an issue with nearly all versions of Windows.
Your CD-errors might be due to dirty CD's or a dirty lens in the CD.

Could be some corruption from vanilla IDE drivers too. Make sure you have installed all the correct drivers from the hardware manufacturers for everything, including the motherboard.

Might sound simple, but sometimes if the CD is dirty, or scratched it can give you these errors. Give it a good cleaning.

You also might want to clean the laser in the drive with a CD head cleaner, as it is recommended you clean those every 10 hours of use.

Thanks for the help guys, turned out to be a faulty stick of Ram. Does anyone know if what is sold as 'Generic' Ram is 2nd hand or just lower quality. The stick I bought was supposed to be new I believed but upon closer inspection it's definitely 2nd hand. I am taking it back tomorrow but I'm not sure about making a scene in case it's an industry standard that 'Generic' Ram is used.

Andrew

Generic RAM is just a lower quality, but new nevertheless.
Someone private might sell it as generic, if they don't know the original make/model, but a shop should state if it is used/2ndHand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back