PC fan runs when my system is idle

New here so not sure where to ask this question and hope I'm in the right place. When my pc sits idle for a while, the fan starts to run & doesn't stop when I move the mouse to come out of sleep. The fan runs with nothing happening & the screen remains black. The only way to stop it is to power it off. I can wait a minute & power it back up. It re-boots & everything appears to be fine after that. The power button also blinks more times than not but everything seems to be running okay. When the computer sits idle again for a period of time, I go through the whole thing all over again. Can anyone offer a resolution to this or can I expect my pc to go out on me in the near future?

Thanks,
Heelsfan

Try changing the power-down settings for your drives, CPU, etc. in Control Panel/Power Options/Edit Plan settings/Change Advanced Power Settings - there you can configure all power options for all hardware. Try changing just one setting at a time and waiting to see if the problem goes away. That way maybe you can figure out what is causing the problem. If nothing else works, try disabling CPU c-states in the BIOS. Certain hardware and software configurations have conflicts with Windows and can sometimes be fixed by changing settings. Also, make sure all fans and heat sinks are free of dust (by blowing out with compressed air if possible).

Back