PC for my Kid

I have a Dell Dimension 3000 and would like to upgrade it so my 8 year old can have a computer to use. I got the tower from a friend, which has all the old hardware but I believe what I have now wont support Windows 7.

I'm not looking for anything over the top, just some recommendations for a new MB, processor, RAM and HD that will be sufficient for his school work and playing flash games on the internet (He likes Roblox).

Budget is around $500

What form factor is the case? How many watts is the PSU? (does it support 24 pin motherboard power and other modern standards?), there are so many limitations with upgrading something that old so IMO I would build a whole new system from scratch and for $500 you could build a very kick *** budget gaming system for Roblox and upgrade it as he grows up (and inevitably will want to play more demanding games). Also I assume you have mouse, keyboard and monitor but what interface is the monitor (VGA, HDMI, DV-I etc), mouse (USB, PS2?) and keyboard (USB, PS2?) as this could affect your choices of video card and motherboard. Also there are very knowledgeable people here that can help you with choosing parts if you do decide to go that route.

I have a Dell Dimension 3000 and would like to upgrade it so my 8 year old can have a computer to use. I got the tower from a friend, which has all the old hardware but I believe what I have now wont support Windows 7.

I'm not looking for anything over the top, just some recommendations for a new MB, processor, RAM and HD that will be sufficient for his school work and playing flash games on the internet (He likes Roblox).

Budget is around $500
To be honest if im reading correctly your wanting to upgrade a pretty old device which in all honesty would not be worth it. You would be much better off just buying everything and starting from scratch with a budget of $500, here is a suggested parts list:

Cougar Case
Asrock FM2A88X
Athlon 760K Processor
Corsair CX 430Watt
Gskill 8gb 1600 Ram
Gigabyte R7 250 1gb
San Disk 128gb SSD
or if you would rather have extra space
Seagate Barracuda 1tb 7200RPM

Something like this would be very good for your needs in all hoensty and very cost effective. You can even go cheaper on some parts if you want to save more money but the total cost of this (With SSD) $469.93

Back