PC freezes randomly

Bartosz

Hi,
I've got a problem with my PC freezing - it just freezes randomly every 40-60mins or so for about 3-4 minutes and then unfreezes again. Sound stops, can't move my mouse. Diode on the case is suggesting that hard drive also stops working.
As I have 3 hdds, I thought it's the drive issue as the system was running on the 5 or 6 years old drive. I reainstalled my system to the relatively fresh drive (about 2 y.o) with cleaning all the drives by the way, but nothing has changed.

What can be the issue? Memory? CPU? Motherboard? Or a power supply?

Windows 7, there was norton installed, but no antivirus now. It's not virus issue, I'm sure of that.

What virus would survive after reinstalling windows to the other drive and formatting all the drives?

I never asked that I asked do u have maleware bytes installed as I found when I had it installed on mine it kept causing my pc to freeze

Windows 7, there was norton installed, but no antivirus now. It's not virus issue, I'm sure of that.
Download free Microsoft Security Essentials:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/security-essentials-download
Also, download and run this temp file cleaner:
http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/files/file/187-tfc-temp-file-cleaner-by-oldtimer/

"What virus would survive after re-installing Windows to the other drive and formatting all the drives?" You should be clean. You should check the memory for errors, and are there any yellow exclamation points in the device manager?

No exclamation marks, memory is ok as I tested it by memtest86 for few hours.
Can it be a power supplier? How can I check if that's it?

Yes it could be a failing power supply. Are ther any bulging or leaking capacitors near the CPU socket like this video shows:

Best way to test a power supply is to replace it

All capacitors look fine, I had an idea that maybe I've got too many devices connected and power supply just can't handle all of them. I took out the second network adapter and uplugged external drive, let's see if it's work.
Replacing the power supply is a last resort.

Every part has its own 'age', what do you want to know? Nothing is older than 4 years, except of drives.

Motherboard mainly. At 4 years the 400 watt power supply is my choice to upgrade to 650 or so watts

Back