PC gaming hardware makers sacrifice comfort, efficiency for flash (and it's paying off)

Shawn Knight

Staff member

PC gaming hardware has been one of the few bright spots in an otherwise stale global PC market that continues to trend south. According to a recent report from Jon Peddie Research, the market for gaming computers, upgrades and accessories exceeded $30 billion in 2016 for the first time ever.

Such news should give any serious gamer or hardware enthusiast a reason to celebrate although as PC Gamer’s Tuan Nguyen points out, the current state of the PC gaming industry certainly doesn’t appeal to all.

Nguyen takes issue with the fact that key characteristics like comfort, efficiency, quality and overall usability take a back seat to ridiculous, over-the-top design elements that, in certain instances, are a detriment to performance.

At what point did RGB lighting, non-ergonomic designs, gaudy paint jobs, inefficient cooling and other gimmicky features become more marketable – and thus, warrant a higher price tag – than, you know, hardware that’s powerful and to-the-point? Indeed, “simple” and “efficient” aren’t terms you will find in the PC gaming hardware glossary.

As Nguyen argues, is this what gamers really want?

While I agree with Nguyen’s opinion that most modern PC gaming hardware is tasteless, the industry is going to gravitate towards what brings in the most sales. If Joe Peddie Research’s report is accurate, sales in the PC gaming genre are booming so why deviate away from a proven strategy?

Simply put, gaudy or not, the current crop of over-the-top PC gaming products are flashy for a reason: they’re attention-grabbing. It’s all about drawing attention to one’s self. People crave attention. It’s why people go out of their way to portray themselves in the best – or sometimes, the worse (for the same reason) – possible light on social media. It’s why Twitch and YouTube Gaming are so popular. People love to show off. Attention subconsciously makes people feel important. It’s human nature; it always has been and it always will be.

Indeed, it’s all one big cycle really. At some point, things will go so far to the extreme that minimalistic design will eventually stand out as unique. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but at some point, a sleeper PC with cutting-edge hardware crammed into a non-descript box will be what people desire.

But hey, you know what? Who cares what other people think. It’s your hardware, your case, your build. Buy whatever keyboard, mouse, monitor or case you want. As long as it puts a smile on your face and can play whatever games you want, that’s all that matters.

Lead image courtesy Wipspeed, Imgur

Permalink to story.

The flashy fad comes and goes, I just said this in a comment on the "fads" article. We have had flashy gaming systems since the early 2000's they got flashier and flashier then it became less popular and the sleek efficient computer became popular again, and now it's back and bet the sleek style will comeback in 2-3 years, but we are in for some crazy stuff until then.

RGB is a nice touch for modders, I get that not everyone appreciates it, but it also adds a lot of aesthetics to the rig. Not to mention people pay a premium to have the RGB option.

I am all for it.

The trend isn't only in the PC market, look at cars these days. 10 years ago cars had simple lines, nothing too exaggerated or over the top flashy, call them boring if you will, take the Toyota Corolla for example.

Heres a 2006
2006_toyota_corolla_sedan_le_fq_oem_1_500.jpg

And now a 2016
2016-Toyota-Corolla-Special-Edition-placement-626x382.jpg

It's almost hard to imagine these share the same name, but this is what the consumers want, the same principle applies to computers.

Why have this
HP%20M7470n.jpg

When for a little more you can have this
31MHuwIx9PL.jpg

The trend isn't only in the PC market, look at cars these days. 10 years ago cars had simple lines, nothing too exaggerated or over the top flashy, call them boring if you will, take the Toyota Corolla for example.

Heres a 2006
2006_toyota_corolla_sedan_le_fq_oem_1_500.jpg

And now a 2016
2016-Toyota-Corolla-Special-Edition-placement-626x382.jpg

It's almost hard to imagine these share the same name, but this is what the consumers want, the same principle applies to computers.

Why have this
HP%20M7470n.jpg

When for a little more you can have this
31MHuwIx9PL.jpg
But I don't think cars sacrifice performance, comfort and efficiency for looks. They just look modern or futuristic. Tech is just flashy, riddled with LEDs while the actual product is a piece of **** in many cases.

The flashy fad comes and goes, I just said this in a comment on the "fads" article. We have had flashy gaming systems since the early 2000's they got flashier and flashier then it became less popular and the sleek efficient computer became popular again, and now it's back and bet the sleek style will comeback in 2-3 years, but we are in for some crazy stuff until then.

THIS.

It will come back around to classic/professional/minimalistic/ergonomic soon enough.

I haven't noticed comfort taking a back seat. In fact, most gamers spend hours with their PCs, and anything that isn't comfortable just wouldn't fly with this audience.

But I don't think cars sacrifice performance, comfort and efficiency for looks. They just look modern or futuristic. Tech is just flashy, riddled with LEDs while the actual product is a piece of **** in many cases.

2005 Toyota Corolla XRS 0-60 mph 7.1 | Quarter mile 15.8
2016 Toyota Corolla S Plus 0-60 mph 8.5 | Quarter mile 16.7

Both of these results are from Car and Driver.

Then you describe new cars pretty good, they're flashy, riddled with LEDs and feel like pieces of crap in many cases, but futuristic right?

What's hilarious is that while Nguyen is bashing all of these trends, there are at least 3 ads that pop up while skimming the article PROMOTING the same flashy garbage he's so upset about. He also points out that he uses a simple, black Das Keyboard, yet fails to mention it costs nearly $200. The whole article reeks of someone who spends too much time at conventions with flashy tech, and has never actually been to Amazon or Newegg and seen how easy it is to find tech without it.

Oh, and you can always just turn the f*cking lights off, problem solved.

Then you describe new cars pretty good, they're flashy, riddled with LEDs and feel like pieces of crap in many cases, but futuristic right?

Probably should have reconsidered this post before submitting it.

You'll see.

The entire PC industry is backwards in regards to design. While the hardware is tarted up with an increasing amount of flash and gaudiness, efficiency and ergonomics devolve to the point it actually shortens the life of your gear. Meanwhile the actual software *interfaces* are becoming SO minimalist as to be nearly unusable. UIs these days are all about giant patches of white space and tiny buttons you can barely touch or click on. These art school dropouts go on and on about "chromeless" design in order to bring content front and center, but there's actually LESS room for content with every new version thanks to massive wasted space and pointless visual elements. Its like the whole consumer electronics industry has relocated to Topsy-Turvy Land.

Dear God, the way Shawn words these titles. I thought the article was about Adobe "Flash"...:confused:

OK, granted I'm old and a bit out of touch...:p

Although, the message likely would have been a bit clearer had he chosen the word, "bling".

Now I'm really getting scared of galloping senility. Oh well, as long as I have a pretty nurse to give me my sponge baths, what does it matter if I can remember her name?

No he's right. It's adding to the cost of hardware, and diverting design time away from the important stuff - speed and efficiency. Motherboard manufacturers are the worse offenders here. I mean it ends up being hidden behind most of the other components anyway, so what's the point?

It's also a split from PC gaming's roots, which began when folks realised you could play incredibly original games on business and lab equipment. The design language doesn't speak of that anymore.

I reckon the older stuff looked cooler, all multicoloured and functional like it came out of a space shuttle. Nowadays, PC hardware just looks juvenile, like it shouldn't be taken out of a teenagers bedroom.

I reckon the older stuff looked cooler, all multicoloured and functional like it came out of a space shuttle. Nowadays, PC hardware just looks juvenile, like it shouldn't be taken out of a teenagers bedroom.

Could be that we`re getting older, but I agree with you, just looking at modern hardware it feels like it doesnt belong to me anymore. It got to the point where its actually hard to buy PC case w/o damned window...

They aren't the same model. And the 2016 model is probably better overall since it has better technology inside it. Speed definetly isn't the only thing you are looking for in a car. Meanwhile in tech world a keyboard is a keyboard and you can't improve but add LEDs and charge it double. It will also break after warranty expires while older products were much more durable in my experience.

RGB is a nice touch for modders, I get that not everyone appreciates it, but it also adds a lot of aesthetics to the rig. Not to mention people pay a premium to have the RGB option.

I am all for it.
And that's exactly what knots my butt hair. The fact that I'm forced to have it and pay that premium and just being able to disable it is light years from a satisfactory solution. RGB has it's place with a lot and that's perfectly fine, but don't foist it down my throat and tell me to cough up. I'm far from alone with those sentiments. There are a lot of other things that every soul on this earth doesn't like but has no option other than to pay up for, RGB not being one of them.

Dear God, the way Shawn words these titles. I thought the article was about Adobe "Flash"...:confused:

OK, granted I'm old and a bit out of touch...:p

Although, the message likely would have been a bit clearer had he chosen the word, "bling".

Now I'm really getting scared of galloping senility. Oh well, as long as I have a pretty nurse to give me my sponge baths, what does it matter if I can remember her name?
Not that you asked, or were interested in her name in the first place. Fifi will suffice very nicely.

Could be that we`re getting older, but I agree with you, just looking at modern hardware it feels like it doesnt belong to me anymore. It got to the point where its actually hard to buy PC case w/o damned window...
Take a look around you. Do you see anything that really takes the older generation into account? I'm not talking about geriatric homes or disabled parking here. The industry doesn't make any money from them, it's a fact. That's something that's never changed and never will but we never noticed it ourselves when we were younger.

Take a look around you. Do you see anything that really takes the older generation into account? I'm not talking about geriatric homes or disabled parking here. The industry doesn't make any money from them, it's a fact. That's something that's never changed and never will but we never noticed it ourselves when we were younger.

I don't think it's a generational thing, it's just bad taste!

When I actually built my computers I couldn't find a good case (those without screws and slide drives, good air flow and things of the sort) without integrated leds, then, wanted to buy a couple more fans, again, non without leds. I hate the trend. If you are going to do something like this at least put a switch somewhere that will turn them off =)

They aren't the same model. And the 2016 model is probably better overall since it has better technology inside it. Speed definetly isn't the only thing you are looking for in a car. Meanwhile in tech world a keyboard is a keyboard and you can't improve but add LEDs and charge it double. It will also break after warranty expires while older products were much more durable in my experience.

Both cars represent the top of the line sporty model, both use the same engine, one got loaded with gizmos that make it heavy and slower, the other is simple and because of this faster. Speed may not be the only thing YOU look for in a car, but don't generalize and say it's not important because it fits better with your argument.

No, a keyboard isn't a keyboard as a matter of fact, LEDSs aside, a standard bundled keyboard vs a mechanical gaming keyboard are two very different things, one is cheap and flimsy, no rollover, the other has tactile feedback, the ability to press multiple keys simultaneously that all register and in general provides a better experience. To then say it will break after warranty is more BS, do you have any numbers to back this up? I've NEVER broken a keyboard, I've accidentally spilled stuff on them, dropped them, abused them in general and they all still work to this day. Someone ragging out and smashing one doesn't count against the manufacturer either.

When I actually built my computers I couldn't find a good case (those without screws and slide drives, good air flow and things of the sort) without integrated leds, then, wanted to buy a couple more fans, again, non without leds. I hate the trend. If you are going to do something like this at least put a switch somewhere that will turn them off =)

If you want good fans without LEDs you have options, Noctua makes great fans, also you can get Gentle Typhoons, both of these fans are much higher quality than anything you will find with LEDs. Also cases still exist without LEDs, there's many options, Corsair's Carbide series has a few, Fractal has, Cooler Master, you just need to ask for what's not on display or look around, they still exist.

Back