PC keeps shutting off randomly

terry5880

Hi all I got custom built pc I built maybe 5 yrs ago or more had no problems till now.. yesterday it decided to just turn off and would not turn on so I opened up side casing after unplugging it then plugged back in and it came back on was on for few hours I then shut down and went to bed ..woke up this morning and it wouldnt turn on again so I unplugged and plugged back in and it worked again ..could it be psu is failing..any info please ask

UPDATE pc turned on fine this morning and has been on good few hours so really puzzled

im running asus motherboard 2gb corsair ram core 2 duo cpu with nvidia 8800gt graphics card windows 7 and a 750watt psu...some one please help

My wife's PC is doing this too. It is a MicroATX model with a 275 watt TFX power supply. I have seen this in a few more PC's over the years. It seems like a power supply issue, but it can also be the motherboard

Thanks tmagic always count on you to give input bud.. I think its psu too gonna format it and sell to a shop

I have recently worked on 3 machines displaying similar symptoms ... turned out to be dust on 2 of them and a faulty capacitor on the other's motherboard. Another common issue, like mentioned already ... is the PSU. On one of the 2 dust affected machines, it was dust inside the PSU causing intermittent shorts and spikes. I advised the user to look at replacing it as chances are the short caused by the dust could very well have done some lingering damage.

BosPatrollie,
Dust is not an issue here. Both Terry5880 and I are smart enough to have ruled that out before changing the power supplies...

Tmagic650,
My post was not intended to offend you or Terry or question your intelligence. I merely stated what I found to be the cause there and what I advised that user to do. Someday somebody might read this thread when they browse for answers and that could very well end up being their issue. ;)

I can imagine that you live in an area where the prevailing dust is conductive like parts of Colorado or Pennsylvania or even Kentucky. I have seen the inside of a computer so full of dust that it was like a blanket covering the entire motherboard a half inch thick. This was causing overheating

Yeah ... overheating happens quite often is such scenarios due to the fans either not spinning properly (or at all) and the heat sinks being clogged up. Holy COW ... 1/2 inch ... that's enough dust to start a mini-green house inside the tower case!

I changed the power supply in my wife's computer and it is shutting off and turning on normally now

Back