PC only works in safe mode

Dandy Angel

Hello, this is my first post so sorry if I do something wrong. My problem is that my PC freezes on windows 10 normal mode but not safe mode. When it does I need to force shutdown. To see if this problem was still present I booted up from a flash drive that had Linux and it still froze. I uninstalled my graphics drivers as I was afraid it might be a driver problem, but still nothing. I also reset the ram and Changed the cmos battery.
My computer is only 6months old and here are the specs in case you need them.
Processor: Intel core i7-4790k @4ghz
RAM: 16 (2x) 8gb corsair dominator
System Type: 64-bit Windows
Edition: Windows 10
Video Card: Gigabyte Gtx 1080 g1
Network card: PsuI'm not sure but ill look if needed
Hard Drive: wd blue 1tb 7200rpm
PSU: Evga 550w gold
mobo: Gigabyte GA‑Z97X‑Gaming 5 ATX

I can, I set all my startup apps to disable, and stopped all services. But after the restart and it goes back to normal mode it freezes. Before I go to safe mode I have to remove the gpu so it gives me more time to get there. Also on Linux, I have to have the GPU installed to be able to work (somewhat) as it comes up with a different error and doesn't freeze.

Not supposed to go back to normal mode on restart until you tell it to do so. Whole purpose is to restart without startup and non-Microsoft services. If able to boot in clean mode, then you add back some start-up stuff and try again until you either prove all startup is good or find the bad.

If able to get into SAFE mode, but not clean boot then likely Windows drivers corrupted or some kind of hardware issue (NIC, USB, etc) and then you might try SFC /scannow (https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161) in SAFE mode after removing flashdrives & other plugged in stuff..

So first, review https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows and follow step by step - including "OK" button clicks

Ok, I managed to perform a clean boot, I believe so, after running in administrator. I followed all the steps to boot into clean boot. But after it prompts me to restart to apply changes and it boots up. It freezes again in the login screen. Should I still do sfc/scannow?

Trying to be sure I understand...you were able to have a clean boot and while in clean boot state, you got the message to restart to apply changes? Sounds like a WIndows update module has gotten stuck...I hope I've got this right..if so, then try the Windows Update Troubleshooter...
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...68-021e32467565/windows-update-troubleshooter

While in safe mode after I got all the settings for it to be clean boot I clicked apply and it told me to restart to apply changes. After it restarted im guessing I was in clean boot? (it froze in the login screen) do I continue and use the update troubleshooter?

After it restarted im guessing I was in clean boot? yes
it froze in the login screen - so it would NOT boot clean (the 'apply changes' related to setting up clean boot and not Update)

So, we skip Update Troubleshooter (for now)

Try SAFE mode , administrative account, open command prompt, run SFC /scannow see this article for details.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

Ok, so I ran sfc /scannow on both safemode with networking and with safemode cmd. Both after completion said Windows Resource protection did not find any integrity violations.

I should ask first that you check Device Manager again to see if any devices with triangle alerts indicating hardware issue.

If no alerts, then you could start with removing the nVidia drivers and if it doesn't allow 'normal' when it installs generic driver, then reboot into safe mode and remove the intel drivers - we are hoping to remove an offending driver, but we do not know which.

If that doesn't resolve issue, then the alternatives are "verifier.exe" (advanced user) , borrow a larger PSU (nVidia suggests >600W), try a lower power known good video card, running memtest86 overnight.

Sorry, no magic bullet yet.

I should ask first that you check Device Manager again to see if any devices with triangle alerts indicating hardware issue.

If no alerts, then you could start with removing the nVidia drivers and if it doesn't allow 'normal' when it installs generic driver, then reboot into safe mode and remove the intel drivers - we are hoping to remove an offending driver, but we do not know which.

If that doesn't resolve issue, then the alternatives are "verifier.exe" (advanced user) , borrow a larger PSU (nVidia suggests >600W), try a lower power known good video card, running memtest86 overnight.

Sorry, no magic bullet yet.

Ok, after I deleted the intel graphics drivers it worked until it installed by itself I guess. (then it froze again) Apparently it doesn't freeze with Microsoft basic display adapter then

Also it took a whole minute before freezing so I got some time to do things in normal mode until it re-installs the drivers and freezes again.

I've never had such a weird issue. I hope we are getting close (I'm getting burned out).

Device manager? Are both video adapters 'ok'?

Check BIOS setup while checking settings in motherboard manual...could your system have an overlapping setting with both video adapters? Or, if not using the intel graphics, a way to disable/turn it off?

Let's try another angle. Remove your powerful video card and see if it freezes when you run only with the intel graphics. If it runs fine with the card out, locate and try a less powerful card. If it doesn't freeze with that, then it is the card or the PSU.

The 1080 takes a lot of juice and your PSU might be marginal - but we need to check before just throwing money at it or you will end of with a closet full of 'maybe good' stuff. Since your stuff is all currently on market, you could put together your system on pcpartpicker and see if everything ties together on paper.

Did a lot of research. Ok, I removed the card. It froze still, I disabled the intel HD graphics and it WORKED! I have no idea how it's working. But once I enable it back on or insert the video card it freezes again. So it has to be a video driver issue right?

"So it has to be a video driver issue right?" - a strong 'maybe'. Something in system may be trying to use the intel graphics even when it is 'off' just because the driver is present.

Sounds like real progress - yeah!!

"I disabled the intel HD graphics and it WORKED!" ...... or are you saying it doesn't now - I'm confused

Try disabling Intel graphics, running DDU to remove all drivers and installing fresh WHQL nVidia drivers and running just the nVidia card

Removing gpu and Disabling the intel hd graphics allowed it to work without safe mode. But once I turn it back on or install my gpu back in place it freezes. Gpu freezes it in both safe and normal mode. And I cant install nvidia drivers unless it is installed because it software won't allow it.

So I installed Windows 10 on a flash drive so I could re-install windows but turns out it freezes in the setup wizard as well.

Back