PC Randomly Locking Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gotejjeken

Over the past couple months or so, my PC will randomly lock up while I am using it (playing a game, surfing the internet, etc.). If I shut it down and restart it right away, the PC will sometimes lock up during boot, however if I shut it down and leave it for a few minutes then return the PC will start up again and work fine for a while.

I've checked the CPU temperature (Intel Q6600 Quad running at 42C idle), the GPU temperature (NVIDIA 8800GTX running at 55C idle), and they both check out as fine to me. I checked to see if my RAM was maxing out for some reason, and at idle I am only using 41% of it (~2 GB of 4GB). I scanned both of my HDD's and one of them the WD Data Lifeguard tools found bad sectors on (unrecoverable ones at that..or so they say), however if I leave this drive unplugged my computer still randomly locks up.

My OS is Windows Vista x64 Home Premium, and I haven't had a problem with it thus far, although sometimes it hogs more memory than I would like. I've tried everything I can think of...I even suspected the PSU at one point, however it is a 700W PSU and shouldn't be anywhere near maxed out when I'm surfing the internet.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You should probably test your memory to make sure it isn't corrupt.
http://www.memtest.org/
Are you keeping your computer up-to-date with the Microsoft updates?
Maybe you can folloow through teh 8-step virus removal procedure to make sure you don't have malware on your system.

I tried creating a bootable memtest .iso for windows and running it, however it doesn't seem to function properly for me. If I select the regular 'use single core' option the memory test will start, however it will run for a few seconds then my PC will reboot. If I use the 'use multiple cores (experimental)' option the memtest does not start.

Also, I download the updates when Windows warns me I have new ones, so I think I'm good on that front. As far as viruses go, I scan every night with AVG, however I could follow through the 8 steps just to be sure.

EDIT: I think I may have had an old version of memtest, going to try the one on the link posted now.

Alright, I was successfully able to run memtest with no errors (I let it do roughly 1.5 passes). Another issue I forgot to mention before is when the computer starts to lock up, if you try to minimize a window it will minimize but it will turn all black before it does. Could that be a graphics card issue? I'm not entierly sure if the graphics card would cause the PC to lock up entirely though. I did notice when the computer is totally locked up I can still move the mouse around but cannot click anything.

I let memtest run for 13 passes (around 10 hours overnight) with no errors. I checked my HDD's and my WD Raptor is the only one with known bad sectors on it (again according to WD Lifeguard as I couldn't test it with the Seagate program as the drive is not Seagate). What's frustrating is there is never a BSOD to go along with the freezing, the PC will just lock up everything except the mouse most times, unless I am playing a game, then it locks up everything but the sound usually.

Is there a recommended way to test your motherboard? I've noticed a lot of freezing during boot (before the HDD is accessed to load windows), and I was thinking if one of the motherboard traces is damaged it could cause other parts to malfunction. I seriously hope this is not the case, although it could explain some of my inconsistencies.

I finally received a BSOD:

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

nvstor64.sys - Address FFFFFA60007CA59C base at FFFFFA60007BE000, Datestamp 479aa282

STOP: 0x000000D1 (0x0000000000000020, 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000, 0x00000000479aa82)

Before this happened I was doing some pixel art in Graphics Gale. The PC had frozen once before with no BSOD, so I restarted it and started my work again. Then it threw a BSOD out of nowhere...this thing is really starting to frustrate me.

EDIT: I recently upgraded my graphics card drivers so I could play the Batman demo; I just looked at the 'nvstor64' part and realized my graphics card apparently threw the BSOD. So I guess I'm down to either a bad graphics card or a bad processor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back