PC rebooting when playing "intensive" games

NicholasCage

Hello (Sorry bout the wall of text, I tried to include everything I thought was important to start with)

First I would like to express that I did actually google my way around before posting here to see if I could figure out why my pc behaves the way it does but I wasn't able to find anyone in the exact situation as me with a decent solution to the problem.

I realise now that I'll probaly have to send the newly purchased part in to be examined by techs at the producer but whatever, I'll give it a go here and see if some clever person can help me out :)

Okay se here's the deal:
I first bought a new Gigabyte GTX 680 OC and installed it. It ran fine with the rest of my components for a few weeks, no issues what so ever.

Then I bought a new CPU, i7 2700k and a new motherboard, Asus P8 277-M Pro.
I installed everything and it all seemed to run just fine.

Sadly, when I entered Arma 2, or any other "intensive" game, the pc just started rebooting all over sudden, and still does. At first I wasn't able to play more than a few minutes before it just rebooted, but now it's gotten sort of "better" and I can sometimes get a full 30 minutes before it reboots perhaps even a bit more. But it still sucks lol as you probaly can immagine.

My current components actually use LESS power than the ones I had before (ATI 5870, EX-58 UDR3 motherboard and i7 920) so I doubt it could be an issue with my PSU.

I also checked temps, and they all look "fine" to me.
I don't really know what to make of the PSU stats but they seem ok (following different guides)
My PSU 750W Energon, bout 1½ / 2 years old.

JQEB7Ew.png

I've also ran the IntelBurnTest v2.3 on the normal settings which my pc actually passed without rebooting. Though if I remember correctly it rebooted the first time I tried it, but I am not sure.

Please note: I can run Minecraft fine NOW, but when I had first installed the components I couldn't even run this. It gradually got better though. From being able to play a few minutes, to 15, then 30 and so forth. As of now I haven't experienced it shut down when playing Minecraft for about 2 weeks. I can also use the PC for surfing, office or whatever.

I don't know what to make of this. I guess it's some sort of hardware failure, but I don't want to send in both my motherboard and cpu if you can tell me what's wrong.
Next week I might be able to borrow a mates i7 2600k to see if that runes stable.

Any input is much appreciated and I'll gladly provide more info!

EDIT:
Another picture providing temps just to show you that I did check in several programs:
TixURYf.png

Thanks man that seems to have done the job, no crashes so far.
I guess this means that my CPU is faulty in some way?

Good, I have an i5 Sandy Bridge CPU with a Gigabyte 1155 chipset motherboard. Your CPU is not faulty. The default CPU bios settings are for power saving business use and not gaming. You simply set the bios for gaming, that's all. I had done the same in my bios

Weird thing is that it is set for gaming through the options in the ASUS motherboard interface...
But it doesn't make any noteable difference in power consumption?

You don't want the CPU to go into the power saving mode during game play. That's what causes the reboots or BSOD's if you turn automatic restarts off in the control panel

But isn't the idea of the power saving mode for it to save power only whilst I am not gaming and the CPU isn't in need of x amount of power?
I find it very strange that they built it so that it actually saves "too much" power?

Could be, but I was having issues during game play like you were, so I experimented with changing things in the bios until I could play games without having restarts... You know my results. Happy game play and computing!

Back