Corsair VS Series 550W 80PLUS 120mm FAN CP-9020097-EU
ASRock Z97 PRO4 Z97 LGA1150
Intel CORE I7-4770K, 3.5GHz, 8MB, BOX
CPU Raijintek Themis
Crucial Ballistix Tactical DDR3-1600 CL8 - 2x4GB
MSI GeForce GTX970 4096MB 256bit GAMING
CRUCIAL SSD MX100 256GB
Hitachi Deskstar 7k400 400gb SATA

I will try to describe my problem best I can, hope it will be understandable. My PC is almost 1,5 year old, never had any problems with it. About 2-3 months ago I updated my W7 to W10. Had some problems with PC random freezing for even 10 minutes, solved it by disabling NetTcpPortSharing (Event 7001), also deleted everything related to Windows Media Center (the only time I ever messed with register, still have register copy before deleting these few entries). Month ago I've replaced my MSI GTX 750 with MSI GTX 970 and also replaced my monitor with higher resolution one (1680x1050 -> 1920x1080). This is when problems started. I've been playing Witcher 3 (which I completed about year ago on 750 without any problems), after about 20 hours in game first PC shut down occoured. Randomly, no blue screen, no entries in event long besides Kernel-Power 41 and Event Log 6008, just shut down and after few seconds PC restarted. After this incident shutdowns became more and more common, if they did, it was right after I loaded save file. I thought it may be some problem with memory stuffed with browsers and other programs so I checked if it happens if I restart computer before launching game and I thought I have found solution because crashed didn't occour for like 20-30 ingame time. But then I entered new large area (Novigrad) and now I'm expereincing pc shutting down even if I restarted it before launching. Most of the time like before, just after loading save file, the other most common crash is after saving game (auto or manual), random crashes during walking are really rare. Sometimes savefiles after shutdown get corrupted. At first I thought it can be only Witcher 3 related problem because I installed few mods, so I downloaded Heaven Benchmark 4.0 to check it and experienced same problem the very fist time I clicked "benchmark" button. But after PC restart I managed to complete 2 benchmarks without any problems. I really cannot determine what's going on because I don't think it's gonna be faulty PSU and it's not overheating problem. Games like CS GO, Chivalry, FIFA 15 and FIFA 17 demo do not cause any problems. However once I've experienced BSOD while playing Stronghold Crusader 2 (I was alt tabing browser/game when it happened).

What I already tried to do:

1) Uninstalled everything NVidia and MSI related using revo uninstaller and installed it again (clean instal).
2) Used chkdsk on my SATA drive (no errors)
3) Used TRIM from O&ODefrag on SSD Drive and defragmented HDD.
4) Checked my RAM with MemTest86 (no errors)
5) Cleaned my PC from junk using Ccleaner
6) Cleaned all the dust and applied new thermal paste to CPU
7) Updated BIOS (I've never OC)

All drivers and programs are up to date. All Windows updates also. All fans are spinning. Witcher 3 is installed on SSD Drive, while Heaven Benchmark 4.0 and SC2 on HDD. The only problems in EventLog I can find is Kernel-Pnp 219 "The driver \Driver\WudfRd failed to load for the device ROOT\WPD\0000." during PC startup and four SCM 7031 occouring while turning off PC.

Really have no clue what to do so I will really appreciate any suggestions. Thanks from above!

Below some screenshots with tempereatures and PC usage during load (few minutes into game) and BSOD info:

1.PNG 2.PNG 3.PNG Przechwytywanie.PNG

"I really cannot determine what's going on because I don't think it's gonna be faulty PSU and it's not overheating problem."

Most of the time it IS AN OVERHEADING issue when under load

Yea but look at my temps. My Rig is very well cooled with almost no dust inside.
And how come it is and overheating problem if it can shut down immediately after loading save file (like 2 minutes after system boot) when temperature of the GPU didn't even reach 60C so the GPU fans didn't even start to spin but if it doesn't shut down right away after loading save file then sometimes I am able to play for hour and more without any problems.

"shut down and after few seconds PC restarted" - have you turned off 'automatic restart on error'?

So you get a shutdown each time? or are some of the 'freezes'... oh, I see you had a BSOD, was there any message or did it restart before you could read it?

Need to narrow this down a lot in order to help.

You might try to run memtest for 24 hrs.

It's a shutdown each time, not a BSOD, there's no event logs or dumps. I've turned off "automatic restart on error" when it started to occour beacuse at first I assumed that's a BSOD but PC just shuts down and restars after few seconds each time.

You can find that BSOD info in the main post (thumbnails of the screenshots at the bottom of the post).

I also already run MemTest86 and found no errors.

Possible solution.... Check if you have two entries for high definition audio controller. Disable the nVidia one.

"Randomly, no blue screen, no entries in event long besides Kernel-Power 41 and Event Log 6008, just shut down and after few seconds PC restarted."

"The only problems in EventLog I can find is Kernel-Pnp 219 "The driver \Driver\WudfRd failed to load for the device ROOT\WPD\0000." during PC startup and four SCM 7031 occouring while turning off PC."

Rarely I got 1-2 minutes PC freeze related with iAStorA 129 event but cannot determine if its related to my issue
Tried to verify witcher 3 files using goggalaxy and uninstalling mods, running witcher 3 in win7 compatible mode, lowering few most resurce costing graphical options, no effects
Motherboard looks fine, capacitors there also, all screws are tight, PSU doesn't seem to overheat under heavy load, running out of options here
Looking at BSOD info I suspect WIn10+GTX970 combo...

Update

1) tested PSU in OCCT (1st test: 10 min, windowed; after a while 2nd test: 5min fullscreen) - no errors, no restarts

2) uninstalled couple of junk programs which could cause some strange disks behaviour (Intel Rapid, Intel Smart Connect etc), resetted BIOS to factory settings (using BIOS not taking battery off), disabled Intel Rapid nad Smart Connect in BIOS;

3) it seems like games using DX11 cause the problem, listed few games earlier which do no cause restarts of CPU (I think all of them use DX9).
just installed GTA IV with icenhancer 3.0 mod, played on ultra (30 fps), no crashes/restars.
returned back to Heaven Benchmark, 2 extreme tests with DX11 caused restarts, 2 extreme tests with DX9 completed without any crashes/restarts

Well, points 1-4 refer only to DX9 I belive and 5 links to paid software. Are there any other options to reinstall direct libraries?

Saved dxdiag report, found some errors in diagonistics section:

1) few BEX64 - LogonUI.exe - USBKeyCredentialProvider.dll_unloaded
2) few RADAR_PRE_LEAK_64 and RADAR_PRE_LEAK_WOW64 related to various games
3) few APPLICATION CRASH - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970

Gonna try this: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...em-files/bc609315-da1f-4775-812c-695b60477a93

#Edit
1) sfc /scannow 1st run: Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and repaired them
2) sfc /scannow 2nd run: Windows did not find any integrity violations
3) DISM: no component store corruption detected; the restore operation completed successfully; the operation completed successfully
4) sfc /scannow 3rd run: Windows did not find any integrity violations

Last edited:
Try uninstall DX11, restart, DL new copy of DX11 & install, then be sure it is updated.

Don't run games until completed.

Try uninstall DX11, restart, DL new copy of DX11 & install, then be sure it is updated.

Don't run games until completed.

I've done some research and it seems that's it is impossible to uninstall DX11 or higher because it's part of the OS and using some unofficial software you can only do more harm.

I tried to download and install these:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/dow...2459594)(TnL5HPStwNw-z5xUvk4RHlCTqStKFkwVlg)(
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/dow...2459594)(TnL5HPStwNw-artUa6Sfiq5FKCeY_VMarg)(

But the instalation took like 2 seconds so I'm not sure if it even did anything.

Repeating myself...
"Well, points 1-4 refer only to DX9 I belive and 5 links to paid software. Are there any other options to reinstall direct libraries?"
and also:
"I've done some research and it seems that's it is impossible to uninstall DX11 or higher because it's part of the OS and using some unofficial software you can only do more harm."

Even tried to do 1st one with registry just now and it didn't do nothing, it didn't even change registry key value after installation which took 1 second so I had to change it manually back to original state.

Just ran Heaven Benchmark again
1st) test DX11, everything extreme, tessellation OFF - no reset
2nd) test DX11, everything extreme, tessellation extreme - reset in the middle of the benchmark

Yeah, I'm considering to surrender from quite a while, probably that update from Win7 to Win10 + GPU swap messed something really bad. After today I think I've tried almost everything, clean system install seems like the only option left for me.

I've done some research and it seems that's it is impossible to uninstall DX11 or higher because it's part of the OS and using some unofficial software you can only do more harm.

But the instalation took like 2 seconds so I'm not sure if it even did anything.
NEVER use DLs from CNET, they get loaded with tag-alongs.

Just reformatted my Win10 (deleted all partitions and performed clean instal). Installed only windows updates, all drivers, codecs, adobe players, java and Heaven Benchmark. Right after I pressed Benchmark button (fullscreen, ultra setting, tessellation set to normal) my PC restarted.

Don't know what to do.

Check Event Viewer. Check System Device Manager for multiple audio devices. Try alternative benchmarks. Is there a log for the benchmark you are using?

1)Audio Devices:

NVIDIA High Definition Audio
NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device
Realtek High Definition Audio

Tried to disable "NVIDIA High Definition Audio" last time and it didn't work but gonna give it one more try.

2) I don't think Heaven Benchmark leaves any logs.

3) Event Viewer

No logs related to restart besides "last shutdown was unexpected".

Other errors:
DistributedCOM 10016
Kernel-PnP 219 (probably related to Intel SmartScreen which I didn't install)
Application Error 1000 (LogonUI.exe, USBKeyCredentialProvider.dll_unloaded)

Possible solution.... Check if you have two entries for high definition audio controller. Disable the nVidia one.

"1)Audio Devices:

NVIDIA High Definition Audio
NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device
Realtek High Definition Audio

Tried to disable "NVIDIA High Definition Audio" last time and it didn't work but gonna give it one more try."

I think what may be happening is that the nVidia 'devices' map to the nVidia card, but actually do not exist since you actually have and use the Realtek chip on the motherboard. I realize that this 'tip' is for Win7, but the idea is good - show all devices (including 'ghost') and delete/remove those which you do not actually use.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff184583.aspx

Back