PC shuts down

Status
Not open for further replies.

elfi

Hi all,

my pc shuts off while gaming. it isn't my cpu overheating cause i tested it with prime95 for 3 hours.
i have a AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+
4GB mem
512 mem geforce 9600GT
750 W PSU

it shuts off in just 10 minutes play. can it be my memory?

Does your PC shut down at any other time? This sounds like a heat issue and I suspect it is your GPU (graphics card). Gaming puts a load on the video card thus increasing temperatures. How is your system airflow? Have you checked to see if your video card fan is working properly?

i don't think it's my GPU cause i tested it with ATItool. my pc case is open and all the fans do work

Hey this is weird i have 2x 2GB mem
when i use 1x 2GB my pc doesn't shuts off while gaming.
if i use both it does shuts off in like 10 minutes gaming

what can it be?

What OS are you running, what is the make of your motherboard, and what are the ,ake/specs of your memory?

i have it wrong my pc still shuts off while gaming using 1x 2GB mem.
i have a MSI mobo K9N Neo series MS-7260
windows XP
and my memory:
DIMM #1

General
Memory type DDR2
Module format Regular UDIMM
Manufacturer (ID) Qimonda (7F7F7F7F7F510000)
Size 2048 MBytes
Max bandwidth PC2-6400 (400 MHz)
Part number 64T256020EU2.5C2
Serial number 0312C81B
Manufacturing date Week 40/Year 08

Attributes
Number of banks 2
Data width 64 bits
Correction None
Nominal Voltage 1.80 Volts
EPP no
XMP no

Timings table
Frequency (MHz) 266 333 400
CAS# 4.0 5.0 6.0
RAS# to CAS# delay 4 5 6
RAS# Precharge 4 5 6
TRAS 12 15 18
TRC 16 20 24

DIMM #2

General
Memory type DDR2
Module format Regular UDIMM
Manufacturer (ID) Kingston (7F98000000000000)
Size 2048 MBytes
Max bandwidth PC2-6400 (400 MHz)
Part number 2G-UDIMM
Serial number 683614E4
Manufacturing date Week 12/Year 08

Attributes
Number of banks 2
Data width 64 bits
Correction None
Nominal Voltage 1.80 Volts
EPP no
XMP no

Timings table
Frequency (MHz) 200 266 400
CAS# 3.0 4.0 5.0
RAS# to CAS# delay 3 4 5
RAS# Precharge 3 4 5
TRAS 9 12 18
TRC 12 16 23

Questions: Does your present memory configuration match the motherboard recommendations? Is your memory recommended for this motherboard?

i think so. i'm gonna test it with memtest. uhmm do you think it can be my GPU?
i have two 4 pin going into a 6 pin for my GPU.

Hey i have a 550W PSU not a 750W can this be the problem? this is my PSU http://www.epowertec.com/ep550xpf.html

I don't know the make and quality of your power supply, but if it is supplying what it promises 550w should suffice.

I note your memory is Kingston and they make a good product.

I want you to try the following: Take off your side panel, have a small fan set on low blowing into your case and then play one of your games. Does it crash?

I don't know the make and quality of your power supply, but if it is supplying what it promises 550w should suffice.

I note your memory is Kingston and they make a good product.

I want you to try the following: Take off your side panel, have a small fan set on low blowing into your case and then play one of your games. Does it crash?

Done it already Route still shuts off. can it be my mobo?

For clarification: Does this shutting down only occur while gaming? Second, does this happen with all games or only a few?

yes only while gaming. I have NFS undercover, Titan quest, Gears of War & COD 4 and it shuts off while playing all of them.

Okay, let us diagnose this by a different method:

1. Download Driver Cleaner Pro (free version; if running a 64-bit OS substitute with Driver Sweeper) to your desktop screen and install.

2. Download the latest diver(s) for your video card but don't install them.

3. Uninstall your video card drivers and reboot your PC into Safe Mode. Run Driver Cleaner Pro. If it doesn't find any video card drivers that is quite okay.

4. Reboot and install new video card drivers.

have you monitored GPU temps whist gaming, is the northbridge hot or overheating whilst idle or gaming?

Okay, let us diagnose this by a different method:

1. Download Driver Cleaner Pro (free version; if running a 64-bit OS substitute with Driver Sweeper) to your desktop screen and install.

2. Download the latest diver(s) for your video card but don't install them.

3. Uninstall your video card drivers and reboot your PC into Safe Mode. Run Driver Cleaner Pro. If it doesn't find any video card drivers that is quite okay.

4. Reboot and install new video card drivers.

Did it but still shuts off. on the xfx website they say the xfx geforce 9600GT needs min. a 600W PSU with a 6 pin. i have a 550W PSU and two 4 pin going into a 6 pin in my 9600GT. can that be the problem?

Did it but still shuts off. on the xfx website they say the xfx geforce 9600GT needs min. a 600W PSU with a 6 pin. i have a 550W PSU and two 4 pin going into a 6 pin in my 9600GT. can that be the problem?

I have the very same card by Palit and my PSU is a 550w. Is your card overclocked by the manufacturer?

Sounds like you might be overloading the psu, if you are running the video card off of the molex, you could be overloading that 12v rail, which usually supplies all the other peripherals.

Epower is Topower to let you know, and the lower end Topowers are pretty iffy. Try another psu, specifically one with a 6 pin PCI-E connector.

So i need to test out another PSU? my 12v rail shows 30A
Route how can i check if my card is overclocked?

If you know someone else with a good power supply you can try in your computer, go ahead, make sure it is a high quality one that is about 500w with a 6pin pci-e connector.

The way you can check if you card is overclocked, well, the box it came in should say if its overclocked. But if you look at what your core and memory are running at, your core should be at 650mhz, the standard for 9600gt's. Your memory should be 900mhz.

How old is your power supply? Topower/Epowers like to vent some of the primaries as quickly as 4 months.

I am using a HEC Zephyr 750W :(

it was a super good deal, and a step up from my rosewill.

If you are looking for a good psu, IF yours is the problem, try something like a PC power and cooling, Enermax, Silverstone, Seasonic, or if you want to go crazy and get a really, really nice psu, get a Zippy (hard to find).

Solution!

i found the Solution !!!!! Very Easy One! it is the Bios SETUP! YES! in section "PC Health" you will find option for temperature warning. this makes your pc shuts down instead of giving you a warning. Raise the warning temp! that is it!!! (my warning was at 60. i raised it to 70)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back