PC sometimes not booting

Hey guys, so this entire thing, for me went from 0-100 really quick. My problem first started when I had started playing the game Dying Light. I do not recall installing anything other than that game and have even tried to remove the game. nothing.

After about 30-60 minutes of playing. it would just shut off abruptly, no reason why. just completely turn off. I didn't think much of it and just thought it was either overheating or my graphics card drivers were outdated. I'd tried many things that don't work. here's a list of things that it isn't.

• CPU overheating
  • GPU overheating
  • Motherboard overheating
  • GPU Drivers
  • Malware/Viruses
  • Unstable power supply
  • Incompatible components

The problem consisted for a further few weeks with no sign of stopping. Thankfully it was only on games so I can still do important things on it, however something just happened which had pushed me over the edge. Last night I was watching a youtube video and my internet adapter was acting up, out of anger I force-shut off my PC to make it restart faster (Restarting stops the internet adapter's issue) and it wouldn't turn back on.

Only just today I tried turning it on again, I was relieved to see that it at least turned on, but it didn't get past the boot screen before shutting off. I tried again, same thing. It happened for about 5-6 tries until it finally got to the windows screen. It was stuck on it for about 10 minutes until I had to turn it off. when turning it on again it ran windows diagnostic but couldn't detect the issue, it suggested just to restart and it could be fixed. I highly doubt that it's fixed it, but my PC did boot up that time.

I've posted this on Tom's Hardware about two weeks ago but got no response. I am usually a pessimistic person and I worry a lot for this thing ad it did cost a lot of money.

Specs:
  • Gigabyte 970A-DS3P
  • AMD FX-8350 CPU
  • Nvidia GeForce GTX 760 GPU
  • 8GB RAM
  • Windows 10
All replies are helpful.

I reviewed your list of "things that it isn't." Based on that, your system is fine and you do not have a problem.

However, on the slight chance that it is not perfection, could you enter BIOS and turn off "automatic restart on error" (or whatever equivalent is in your system) and restart.

If it restarts properly, could you check Event Viewer to determine if there are any (heaven forbid) 'error' listings. Chase down each error until you are satisfied that you have done all you can to fix (the OOBE error can be skipped - M$ hasn't fixed that in over a decade).

If you still have any slight problem, please describe onset and results - including any sounds, messages on screen, new additions to Event Viewer, etc. You may also wish to install Speccy (or equivalent) and monitor voltages and temps - low volts and high temps in the "range" report might lead us to a failing component or other issue. Funny beeps should be counted and described (they are called 'error codes').

Since the system is doing 'weird' stuff, consider making a good backup of anything you care about. It might be a good time to download the manufacturer's utility for your HDD and to test the bugger before he quits on you.

Keep notes, report back, good luck.

I reviewed your list of "things that it isn't." Based on that, your system is fine and you do not have a problem.

However, on the slight chance that it is not perfection, could you enter BIOS and turn off "automatic restart on error" (or whatever equivalent is in your system) and restart.

If it restarts properly, could you check Event Viewer to determine if there are any (heaven forbid) 'error' listings. Chase down each error until you are satisfied that you have done all you can to fix (the OOBE error can be skipped - M$ hasn't fixed that in over a decade).

If you still have any slight problem, please describe onset and results - including any sounds, messages on screen, new additions to Event Viewer, etc. You may also wish to install Speccy (or equivalent) and monitor voltages and temps - low volts and high temps in the "range" report might lead us to a failing component or other issue. Funny beeps should be counted and described (they are called 'error codes').

Since the system is doing 'weird' stuff, consider making a good backup of anything you care about. It might be a good time to download the manufacturer's utility for your HDD and to test the bugger before he quits on you.

Hey man, thanks for replying, I don't have a definite answer as to whether it's fixed or not but it seems to be booting alright now, I'll get back to you if the games still don't work though. again, thank you :)

Alright, man, I've tried this and it didn't work :/ However I do think my 'list of things that it isn't' list was a bit off. I've had a look inside my PC and I doubt that it's the root of the problem, but a few things on my motherboard seem off, such as a few pins are beginning to bend on it, but it still works and the pins only power the LED's on my case anyways. I also did check the logs and all the times my PC shut down it all leads to 'Kernel Power' and it pretty much tells me that it's either a problem with the PSU or overheating etc, I've already discussed that I doubt that it's overheating, but to be honest, I'm not sure about anything at this current point in time. Please forget that list and give me a list of things that could be happening to it.

P.S. I've tried to use another PSU I had lying in my house but one of the cables on it wouldn't reach :/

Begin at beginning:
"After about 30-60 minutes of playing. it would just shut off abruptly, no reason why. just completely turn off." is still the problem?
You turned off 'automatic restart'?
You checked Event Viewer and found NO errors other than the 'it crashed error' (and how stupid is that)?
You checked Device Manger and there were no issues with any devices on list?

If you have 4 'yes' answers and the crashes are more frequent, I think it is time to get a 'pro' on the job...

Back