PC turns on, no Display

Hello!

First off, I'm a complete noob when it comes to PCs, so please excuse any weird phrasings! I'm just freaking out :(

TLDR: My PC turns on, won't show anything on my monitor and won't turn off with the power button

The full story: I turned my PC on normally, had about a good 10 minutes before it just black screened on me. Wasn't doing anything special, I was just googling as I always do. Last thing installed on my PC was Gods Will Fall (I don't know if that's useful information?)
Next thing I did was press the power button for a while and it turned off. I was able to turn the PC that way for maybe two or three more times. After that, the power button would just flash quickly after a long press, not turning the PC off.
Once the PC was on again I noticed that the LED on my motherboard wasn't on and the fans didn't slow down as they usually do when booting up. My monitor still didn't show any signal. All fans and other LEDs were on, otherwise only my keyboard lit up, mouse and headset were off. And well, that's it. That's all my PC does now.

What I tried:
-taking off the RAM and cleaning it with a brush
-disconnected the GPU and connected it again
-plugged the monitor into the motherboard instead of the GPU
-keysmashing (which lead to the screen showing me a "-", couldn't replicate it again after another restart)
-pressing F8 to boot into Safe Mode (didn't do anything, I don't think the PC is even booting at all)

My Specs: My PC was build March 2021, so it's not even a year old :(
Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 AORUS PRO AC AM4 B550/DDR4/ATX
RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4-3200 DIMM CL16 Dual Kit
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8x 3.60GHz
GPU: ASUS 1060 3GB (idk the specifics, it's the only part I took from my old PC)
PSU: 700 Watt be quiet! Pure Power 11 CM Modular 80+ Gold
SSD + HDD: 1000GB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 2000GB Seagate Barracuda Compute ST2000DM008 256MB

Sounds as though your motherboard failed you. Or your power supply. If you have a older power supply that works. I would try that to see if it boots.

There won't be a working video signal on the motherboard since that CPU lacks a IGP. Your problem could be the GTX 1060. You need known good parts to swap in and out to make this diagnosis easier. Maybe a local computer shop you trust? Ask around. People around here hit social media and ask all the time. I got a ton of people that found my shop using Google search.

I looked up the motherboard and it seems that there are issues with the usb ports related to the BIOS. Buyers have not been happy, Gigabyte have issued some BIOS updates to try and fix it. You press F2 when booting to get into the BIOS. The only original component you used is the graphics card so if anything has failed it may be that. Perhaps you have an old one you could put in to check that's not the problem?

Hello!

First off, I'm a complete noob when it comes to PCs, so please excuse any weird phrasings! I'm just freaking out :(

TLDR: My PC turns on, won't show anything on my monitor and won't turn off with the power button

The full story: I turned my PC on normally, had about a good 10 minutes before it just black screened on me. Wasn't doing anything special, I was just googling as I always do. Last thing installed on my PC was Gods Will Fall (I don't know if that's useful information?)
Next thing I did was press the power button for a while and it turned off. I was able to turn the PC that way for maybe two or three more times. After that, the power button would just flash quickly after a long press, not turning the PC off.
Once the PC was on again I noticed that the LED on my motherboard wasn't on and the fans didn't slow down as they usually do when booting up. My monitor still didn't show any signal. All fans and other LEDs were on, otherwise only my keyboard lit up, mouse and headset were off. And well, that's it. That's all my PC does now.

What I tried:
-keysmashing (which lead to the screen showing me a "-", couldn't replicate it again after another restart)
-pressing F8 to boot into Safe Mode (didn't do anything, I don't think the PC is even booting at all)

GPU: ASUS 1060 3GB (idk the specifics, it's the only part I took from my old PC)
SSD + HDD: 1000GB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 2000GB Seagate Barracuda Compute ST2000DM008 256MB
You said "Next thing I did was press the power button for a while and it turned off. I was able to turn the PC that way for maybe two or three more times. After that, the power button would just flash quickly after a long press, not turning the PC off." IF I read that correctly, using ONLY the power on button to turn it off is not good. Can't you turn it off/on the normal way??

Hello!

What I tried:

Something similar happened to me. It could very well be the Motherboard, but try using a different port on the gpu. Now, the gpu usually doesn't have any control on the fans and Motherboard leds, but it's worth a shot. I have a 1060 and one day I tried to turn on my pc, and there was no display. I tried to switch from displayport to HDMI, and that did the trick. My monitor supports 1080p 144 hz on HDMI, but make sure your monitor does support the max res at highest refresh rate for your monitor, that is, if that is the issue. I hope you get it up and running!

You say the pc turns on. Do the keyboard lights blink in any sequence or do you have any beep codes? Have you ran any hardware diagnostics? Also, you might try another monitor.

Last edited:
You said "Next thing I did was press the power button for a while and it turned off. I was able to turn the PC that way for maybe two or three more times. After that, the power button would just flash quickly after a long press, not turning the PC off." IF I read that correctly, using ONLY the power on button to turn it off is not good. Can't you turn it off/on the normal way??
If the monitor don't work, he couldn't turn it off in the normal way.

Back