system info:

compaq presario sr1630nx desktop pc

580 watt PSU

ASUS motherboard with AMD Athlon 64 CPU

mother board has 4 PCI expansion slots and 1 PCI-E slot, no AGP

Motherboards integrated video: ATI Radeon Express 200

PROBLEM

have tried two different GPUs with same result

no video signal to monitor after installing new GPU.

first card i tried was a MSI R5450hd 1g, second one was XFX Radeon HD5450

I went into control panel / add remove programs and removed the ati radeon express 200 driver then shut down windows, removed all cables, opened case, grounded myself, installed card into PCI-E slot, replaced cables and started pc, all fans come on full tilt but neither of the VGA ports send signal.

removed card from PCI-E and pc starts fine, monitor works.

went into BIOS and changed video option from integrated to PCI-E, reinstalled card with same results,

what the hell am i doing wrong?, I've done everything i can think of even tried installing drivers before inserting card and keep getting nothing.

should i give up on the PCI-E and use a standard PCI GPU?

I'M SOFA KING LOST :confused:

I believe that system is roughly 4-5 years old, and as such probability is PCI-E slot may not be upto the task with regard to compatibility/power etc. I hope someone with more knowledge would either back it up or correct me if i am wrong. Regards

Edit:
Here is specs sheet for your system, but I am unable to say its 1.0 or 2.x slot (although I guess its 1.0x).

so a card designed for a PCI express 2.0 slot wont function in a older PCI-E slot, say 1.0 etc.?

boo!

Will any PCI based GPU work in the standard PCI slots?

Im just gonna have to bite the bullet and buy a new MOBO and CPU. which sucks because i just spent 200 bucks maxing out my RAM and replacing the PSU

I don't see any issues with keeping your PSU for a newer system as well, because, it can handle 5770 easily, and you've got 5450.

However, if you choose to replace the mobo and cpu, you'll also need to get newer RAM. Therefore, I'd rather advise you to save money, and build yourself a new computer later on.

About the Radeon 5450 issue, you can contact XFX (or the vendor you bought it from), and clarify PCIE 1.0 compatibility support. If they say it is compatible, then there may be something with your slot itself.

Did you install the new RAM yet?
If not, maybe that is an issue--since the XFX site states that at least 1 GB RAM is required.
They also state that you need a PCIE slot--not "version 2.0 or higher", etc., so Personally, I would go to the XFX support forum , register and then talk to someone on "Live Help" and have them assist you in resolving the issue.
http://www.xfxforce.com/en-gb/Help/Support.aspx
Please post your results here, so that others can benefit from the solution---or at the very least, learn that the graphics board is incompatible with the system, if that's the end result.

yeah ill try their support tonight when i get home from work, i did install the ram, i have 4 1 gig cards installed.

thank you for the help this is my first time here and i really like what i see!!

contacted xfx customer support, explained problem, waiting for reply. i will post any info i receive.

thanks again guys!!

contacted xfx customer support, explained problem, waiting for reply. i will post any info i receive.

thanks again guys!!

Fairenough, I hope something tangible will come out of it. Please do keep us posted. Regards

just heard back from the helpdesk @ XFX here is the message:

Hello,
Some older motherboards require a BIOS update to work with the new PCIE 2.1 cards. The problem that we have seen is that because many of these boards are older and the manufacturer of the motherboard had dropped support for them before ever updating to include support for these upcoming features. Check your motherboard manufacturer’s website for the latest BIOS update available for your motherboard. If you still do not get display from the card after updating than this card will not work with your motherboard. You would need a newer motherboard to have support for its features. These cards will work with basically any motherboard currently being sold. If you prefer to stay with your current system then I would recommend a PCIE 2.0 card like the ATI 4000 series cards.

Well I guess you need to head over to HP (as I understand this motherboard was designed for HP) or Asus's site then and to check whether they have updated the BIOS in recent times.

Found BIOS update on HP's website, installed update and video card still wont work :( gotta try a standard PCI card I guess, ill exchange this one and post the results here.

Get a new motherboard, your mobo is outdated. Once you do that you should hook up your 5450's in Crossfire. :p

That is unfortunate, I guess you are going to be better off by saving the money and building a new system some time in future.

Well i finally found a video card that works with this out dated POS.

it is a ASUS EAH4350 silent. its nowhere near what i wanted but hey it works, and now i have an HDMI out, so I'm finally able to use my 57" sony big screen as my monitor, just got new wireless keyboard, mouse and printer, still cant game with it but the whole process made me realize that i want to build a gaming pc so i can sit on my couch and play mw2 and fallout on 57 inches of 1080p bliss

time to break out the fry's card

Glad to hear that finally you got it to work, and that is exactly what I guess is in order ;) So best of luck with it and Best Regards.

Sounds more like a problem with the PSU, rather than anything else. PSU has enough power to start the fans, but not enough to start the card, so system fails to POST. Thats why a card with a lower power drain works, and why the PC works without the card installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back