PCI-E -> IDE controller card - booting issues

Hi All

I'm having a problem with a new PC I bought recently.

It has an ASUS P7H55-M/USB3 motherboard, which doesn't have any IDE/PATA ports. My DVD device is still IDE/PATA, and I didn't want to buy a new SATA DVD device as my current one is still pretty new.

I decided to rather buy a PCI-E -> IDE controller card. The model is the Sunix Ide1400 card, which uses the VIA VT6415 chipset. The card is marketed as being bootable.

So, the setup - I have a Seagate 500GB SATA drive connected, and my LG DVD device connected to the IDE controller card. I switched the PC on, went straight to the BIOS and set the boot sequence to my DVD device first, then the SATA HDD (I'm trying to boot from the WinXP CD as the HDD is still empty). After showing the MBs own POST screen, it shows a POST screen for the IDE card. It detects my DVD device, but doesn't boot from it. Furthermore, when a CD/DVD is in the drive when booting, it just hangs after detecting the DVD device. If there is no CD/DVD in the device, it doesn't hang, but it gives me a message saying that I need to insert bootable media. If I then insert the WinXP CD and press a key, it doesn't boot but just keeps giving the message about inserting bootable media.

I want to play around a bit more before I go to plan B - just getting a SATA DVD device. I first want to perhaps try another PCI-E slot (there are 2) and also maybe play around with the jumper on the DVD device. It is currently set as the Master. Perhaps I should try Slave and Cable Select?

Also, could it perhaps be a jumper setting on the MB? Or a BIOS setting I'm missing?

Any help in this regard will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Back