1. TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

PCIe 6.0 spec announced with 256GB/s transfer speeds, twice that of 5.0

By Humza · 26 replies
Jun 19, 2019
Post New Reply
  1. Motherboard manufactures will have lots of hardware added to their pipeline as PCIe 6.0 specifications were announced yesterday at the PCI-SIG Developers Conference 2019. The successor to PCIe 5.0 revealed last month looks to double transfer speeds with 256GB/s transfers. This quadruples the speed of PCIe 4.0 hardware that's just started to make its way to consumers.

Given its history, the industry standard usually takes around a year between its announcement and market availability of supported hardware. With PCIe 5.0 unlikely to arrive until 2020 at the earliest, the consortium expects PCIe 6.0 to finalize by 2021 after which consumers can expect to see supported hardware in 2022 or 2023.

"Continuing the trend we set with the PCIe 5.0 specification, the PCIe 6.0 specification is on a fast timeline,” said Al Yanes, PCI-SIG Chairman and President. "Due to the continued commitment of our member companies, we are on pace to double the bandwidth yet again in a time frame that will meet industry demand for throughput."

The PCIe 6.0 spec is targeted at evolving industry needs which will greatly benefit AI accelerated applications, NVMe storage and of course, GPUs.

Permalink to story.

2. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 4,478   +3,036

Did somebody just wake up at PCI-SIG, after years of hibernation?

So why even bother with PCI 5.0 then, when nobody is developing for it yet anyhow?

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
    Eldritch, Zorak, TempleOrion and 8 others like this.
  3. H3llion

H3llion TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,694   +438

Maybe because they seen this coming, and will just jump 5.0 and straight to 6.0? Who knows at this point...

texasrattler and wiyosaya like this.
  4. pawel04

pawel04 TS Booster Posts: 82   +90

So even by the time PCIe 4.0 comes around to graphics cards, does this mean most eGPU setups will be bottlenecked by Thunderbolts 40GB/s?

5. wiyosaya

wiyosaya TS Evangelist Posts: 3,993   +2,290

Let's hope so. Introducing PCI-e 5.0 with the 6.0 spec official seems to me like it would just be milking consumers. It sounds kind of like the baby steps in HDMI 2.X and then the giant leap for HDMI 2.1. I, as a consumer for one, am rather tired of playing the keep up with the technology game.

MaitieS, veLa, H3llion and 1 other person like this.
  6. GregonMaui

GregonMaui TS Booster Posts: 137   +45

and/or thunderbolt will be faster as well. But no external ports are as fast as internal PCIe now, so unless that changes, even speed increases won't keep pace.

pawel04 likes this.
  7. Cycloid Torus

Cycloid Torus Stone age computing - click on the rock below.. Posts: 4,067   +1,190

Looking forward to double-digits.

8. pcnthuziast

pcnthuziast TS Evangelist Posts: 587   +196

Pcie 4.0, not even out yet and already outdated. Classic.

Eldritch, MaitieS, pencea and 4 others like this.
  9. texasrattler

texasrattler TS Evangelist Posts: 723   +285

PCIE 4.0 is being shunned and it's barely on the market lol
    While PCIE 5.0 is still a year away at the earliest, I doubt many manufacturers will even use it if PCIE 6.0 is ready sooner or simply only a year out after 5.0 hits mainstream.

10. MonsterZero

MonsterZero TS Evangelist Posts: 566   +323

Welcome to the computer industry lol.

MaitieS, Lionvibez, yRaz and 2 others like this.
  11. H3llion

H3llion TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,694   +438

That's a BIG leap that Thunderbolt will have to do.

12. Lew Zealand

Lew Zealand TS Guru Posts: 673   +571

eGPUs are already bottlenecked by TB3's 40GB/s. Not all the time, not in all uses, but the bottleneck (and the protocol overhead) do slow down eGPUs a bit. I gamed with one for a while and then built a PC around the card, which then performed faster. But I also moved from a 2C4T to a 6C6T so not apples-to-apples.

Actually now that I have 3 GPUs I can test with, and still have the eGPU box, I've been trying to make an apples-to-apples test but the CPU hardware for my setups just doesn't match closely enough yet.

pawel04 and Toju Mikie like this.
  13. neeyik

neeyik TS Addict Posts: 82   +63

This kind of announcement structure (I.e. seemingly decreasing periods of time between the agreement of newer design specifications) isn't unprecedented. GDDR standards have been a bit like this too:

GDDR2 ~ 2002/2003
    GDDR3 ~ 2003/2004
    GDDR4 ~ 2006 ish
    GDDR5 ~ 2007/2008 ish
    GDDR5X ~ 2016
    GDDR6 ~ 2017

As soon as GDDR2 entered the market, GDDR3 was getting ready for release; same with GDDR5X and GDDR6. It's worth noting that not all PCI Express interfaces within a motherboard technically have to follow the same specification - in theory, one could have the CPU-SB link as PCIe6.0 but the main PCIe lanes could be 5.0

TempleOrion and Toju Mikie like this.
  14. DukeJukem

DukeJukem TS Enthusiast Posts: 83   +46

I really dont understand why the tech industry announces things so early. pcie 4 isnt even out yet. let alone 5. let alone 6. thats literally too far in the future to care about. its like an infant thinking about retirment.

Toju Mikie likes this.
  15. Soulburn74

Soulburn74 TS Enthusiast Posts: 50   +20

High end GPU's are already bottlenecked in eGPU setups.

pawel04 and Toju Mikie like this.
  16. lexster

lexster TS Maniac Posts: 466   +233

When PCIe4.0 is just coming out and PCIe5.0 isn't yet, why plan PCIe6.0 this early? It's not like anything is saturating even PCIe3.0 yet. What's the point?

17. Lew Zealand

Lew Zealand TS Guru Posts: 673   +571

Maybe more lanes for x4 SSDs? Those are the only things that saturate their PCIe3.0 lanes I can think of, and then only if you get a good one. I don't know why there weren't x8 SSDs, though that does "waste" a lot of direct CPU lanes. Maybe for Intel and AMD to design their 2022 CPU line to use PCIe6.0 lanes for those super-hi performance SSDs?

18. fktech

fktech TS Maniac Posts: 526   +138

Next computer in 2025!!!

19. joe1946

joe1946 TS Enthusiast Posts: 26   +6

It's only 2019.
    "With PCIe 5.0 unlikely to arrive until 2020 at the earliest, the consortium expects PCIe 6.0 to finalize by 2021 after which consumers can expect to see supported hardware in 2022 or 2023."

TempleOrion likes this.
  20. MasterMace

MasterMace TS Booster Posts: 84   +42

4.0 would have been the one to skip seeing as it was long delayed

21. VitalyT

4.0 cannot be skipped, as there have been lots of products developed for it already, and are heading for the market this year.

TempleOrion likes this.
  22. TheBigT42

TheBigT42 TS Maniac Posts: 322   +220

Hold my beer....watch me skip PCI 4.0
    /s

MasterMace, lexster and TempleOrion like this.
  23. VitalyT

Evidently, couple weeks ago, Chinese, Russians and others suddenly discovered for themselves the meaning of phrase "hold my beer", and now entire YouTube is flooded with it in every second comment. I cannot stand it anymore. This is so dumb now! Puke! :p

They really do know how to take something good from English, and f-k it up for good, so people don't want to use it ever again.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
  24. kmo911

kmo911 TS Booster Posts: 111   +10

So why not coperate to gather and get all pcie 1.0-6.0 on a motherboard. prototype o.c
    ddr5-7 in that time.
    *gta 6 needs more bandwidth when its on 8k-16k textures.
    *cad adobe photoshop programs. so games we know has low fps would now run 110%-600% more fps.
    only with 4.0 version you get more fps in all programs games windows 10 must be patched up .
    or maybe windows 128bit would be the new one in 20xx.

25. GregonMaui

GregonMaui TS Booster Posts: 137   +45

Did you read it before you commented? I said external will not be as fast

Add your comment to this article

You need to be a member to leave a comment. Join thousands of tech enthusiasts and participate.
TechSpot Account You may also...