People are gaming even more now in the post-lockdown world

zakislam

In a nutshell: One of the entertainment mediums that naturally saw an increase in use during the pandemic was gaming. Although individuals aren't confined to their homes anymore with previous lockdowns being lifted, video games continue to occupy peoples' time more than ever before.

According to the '2021 Evolution of Entertainment' report from market research firm NPD Group, there was a notable increase in time spent playing games from 2019 to 2020. The average hours played per week in the US rose from 12.7 to 14.8.

That growth is understandable given that most of the population was confined to their homes because of the pandemic. What's interesting, though, is that the latter figure didn't remain an anomaly; during 2021, it’s actually increased even further to 16.5 hours per week.

One of the demographics singled out for the aforementioned increase isn't the coveted 18-34 market, but rather a more mature crowd -- US gamers aged 45-64 have been putting the hours in.

"In 2019, 65% of consumers in this age group played games for approximately 9 hours per week. This jumped considerably in 2020 to 69% playing for approximately 12 hours per week, and 75% this year playing for approximately 16 hours per week," NPD revealed.

It's not just the entertainment aspect that's keeping older gamers engaged. NPD pointed out how gaming allowed them to remain connected with family and friends as well.

"And these gamers have continued to play more than other age groups," said Mat Piscatella, an analyst for the research firm. "Despite an overall decline in the percentage of folks that play games in the market, the time 45–64-year-old gamers spent playing continued to increase. Clearly, gaming is not a segment relegated to kids and teens; it is a segment that is appealing to gamers of all ages."

As for the decline Piscatella alluded to, NPD disclosed that the total number of Americans playing video games in 2021 decreased to 76 percent from 79 percent in 2020. However, that's still ahead of the 73 percent figure in 2019.

The amount of money spent on video games in the US, meanwhile, increased 35 percent over the six months ended July 2021. Another survey from 2020 showed how during the two-and-a-half-month lockdown at the height of the pandemic, adults spent 110 hours on gaming.

Permalink to story.

People just want to enjoy what little things they can in this dreadful world, as well as get high on something.

Older people finally realizing video games are…fun? (And not for just for kids) lol

Er I think these people were around playing vidiya games before and just had hectic lives.
Now that the world's either work from home or, I'm sorry you don't have a job due to the covid recession, what are people meant to do.
There are of course a few panic buying challenges in shops. Toilet roll and fuel are the main ones with food and drink following with the co2 issues.
And of course what with global warming and the next mass extinction en route there will be new challenges.
If we don't die before Russia get the wooly mammoth out we can all go ride one but in true squid games style you're going to be either on, ride across Serbia to safety, or you're be the one shooting at the herd.
Pin the tail on the invisible nuclear submarine could make a comeback, as too could pass the parcel of dodgy substance. When the music stops, the winner drops, and you can take their shoes.
But until the real fun starts why not relax on your sofa playing CoD preparing for it. You won't really be any better with a gun, but you will understand the youth mentality and be able to estimate your chances of being shot in the back by someone in your own party.
Or get PGA tour 21, there's going to be a lot more courses, where all the satellites and ordinance have fallen from the sky. More pebbledash than pebble beach.

Er I think these people were around playing vidiya games before and just had hectic lives.
Now that the world's either work from home or, I'm sorry you don't have a job due to the covid recession, what are people meant to do.
There are of course a few panic buying challenges in shops. Toilet roll and fuel are the main ones with food and drink following with the co2 issues.
And of course what with global warming and the next mass extinction en route there will be new challenges.
If we don't die before Russia get the wooly mammoth out we can all go ride one but in true squid games style you're going to be either on, ride across Serbia to safety, or you're be the one shooting at the herd.
Pin the tail on the invisible nuclear submarine could make a comeback, as too could pass the parcel of dodgy substance. When the music stops, the winner drops, and you can take their shoes.
But until the real fun starts why not relax on your sofa playing CoD preparing for it. You won't really be any better with a gun, but you will understand the youth mentality and be able to estimate your chances of being shot in the back by someone in your own party.
Or get PGA tour 21, there's going to be a lot more courses, where all the satellites and ordinance have fallen from the sky. More pebbledash than pebble beach.
Bruv, wtf?

3volv3d has at least one valid point.

Looking at the age group they are talking about (myself being one of them). We are of the age where gaming first came out. I.E the likes of pong, txt adventures, 8 bit, 16 bit, 32 bit, 64 bit..... yada yada yada. I've reached a point in my life were things have started to settle down a bit. Life isn't quite as demanding and I find myself with a little more free time. Not to mention I'm sleeping less for some ungodly reason. Granted, my choices in games are not the one's that require cat like reflexes to be considered an average player. I primarily stick with SOT, Elite Dangerous, Phasmophobia, Warframe, and of course reliving some of the older games in the FF series 4,5,6 and the likes, Golf with Friends, Simple Rockets/Planes, MS Flight Simulator and games of that nature. I've always enjoyed gaming and some may say it rots your brain but I'm more inclined to think it helps keep those neurons firing.

Older people finally realizing video games are…fun? (And not for just for kids) lol
Personally, I started with Wolfenstein 3D, and I think I played Pong with my high-school girl friend. Life caught up with me and gaming became less important. Last year, I finally got back to Far Cry 1 as the lockdowns afforded more time for me to play, and I still have not finished it - yet. However, I keep telling myself that I will have to finish it, I am on level 16. Someday in the not too distant future, I can see that happening.

I have also collected quite a free library of games from the likes of GOG, Ubisoft, and others. If I were to play them instead of doing other things, I can imagine that I would be spending all of my free time playing games, and doing so is not that important to me. For me, there is more to life than playing computer games, though I do find gaming fun and challenging in the rare times I do play.

I've always enjoyed gaming and some may say it rots your brain but I'm more inclined to think it helps keep those neurons firing.
There are studies to the effect that it may decrease cognitive decline -

Back