Periodic BSOD on XP SP3, error 0x8086

ICEverfrost

Hi,

I consider myself to be relatively tech savy. I even fix computers for a living, but I have not been able to fix this BSOD on my own personal computer and its really embarassing that I have not fixed it yet. The error code is 0x8086 and I have attached the dump file for it. Any help, tips, ideas anyone could give me on it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

• Mini112510-01.dmp
    100 KB · Views: 2
Your bugcheck error code is 8086 and one I have never seen before and apparently neither has Windows because even the minidump file states "Unknown Error Code."

However, it did cite iastor.sys as your issue and this an Intel is a driver used to control the SATA disks, usually for raid systems but still used in normal single disk setups as well. It should NOT be removed.

Have you updated your chipset drivers?

I downloaded the latest chipset from support.dell.com 4 days ago when I last posted. Today the blue screen came back when I started my machine just now.

Any other ideas?

Here are the minidump files from both my BSOD yesterday, and the one that happened today.

Attachments

• Mini120410-01.dmp
    100 KB · Views: 1
  • Mini120510-01.dmp
Same error codes and same driver cited in both. iastor.sys is not able to load.

Perhaps a BIOS update might be in store.

I've looked at doing a BIOS update already and I'm not the current version of a BIOS for my Dimension 8400. There hasn't been a new BIOS update since Aug. 2006.

It took 2 restarts today before comming up. Looks like its getting worse. I've made backup images of my hard drive incase it crashes. I've notices durring start up it makes loud noises like a disc vibrating, or being scratched as it works? Could it be my hard drive is dying? Usually if my machine is going to crash it happens right after or while my profile is loading. If my machine stays on for 2 or 3 minutes after that, it will usually stay on for the rest of the day without problems.

Here are the latest minidumps.

Attachments

• Mini121810-01.dmp
  • Mini121810-02.dmp
This certainly sounds like an impending failing harddrive. What is the make of your harddrive?

Back