Physical copies of Star Wars Jedi: Survivor require a digital download

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
A hot potato: In 2020, digital downloads overtook physical game sales for the first ever. The distribution medium has grown steadily over the last decade, making its prevalence inevitable. Both media forms have advantages and disadvantages, and users support either vehemently. But when does a physical game stop being a physical game?

Highly anticipated Star Wars Jedi: Survivor launches in just a few days, so retailers are beginning to receive allotments. Images of the physical version leaked over the weekend reveal that EA has not included the entire game on the disc. Jedi: Survivor box art says, "Download required" in fine print (below). In other words, that physical copy likely only contains an installer that retrieves the digital version from the internet.

Considering that Survivor weighs in at a whopping 155GB, which can't fit on a single disc, it might not be surprising that EA chose to do it this way. Putting all that data into physical media would require six dual-layer DVDs or four Blu-rays. So committing 155GB to physical media would cost EA much more than just selling a disc that downloads the game. To which old-schoolers might exclaim, "Remember Everquest 2 coming on 10 CDs?"

From a purely practical stance, why offer a faux physical disc if players can download the digital version more easily? Sure, there is a contingent of physical media collectors out there, but what about those wanting a hard copy because of poor or no internet access? Either way, EA will likely see many refunds going out to people who unknowingly bought or pre-ordered the physical copy, thinking it contained the whole game. The practice is becoming more common as game sizes explode. Still, something like this would have never happened years ago.

Back in the golden age of gaming, purchasing a video game meant getting a complete and finished product that was bug-free. Thanks to the internet, today's developers don't even need to release clean code since they can patch it via an internet download. In fact, it seems that development today is swinging to just getting the product out, even if it's unfinished, and fixing it later – Cyberpunk 2077, anyone? Even if a game maker manages to release an error-free title, many (if not most) games still receive expansions, cosmetics, and even new characters after launch. So one might argue that there are very few true physical releases games anymore.

Even still, many publishers continue selling physical copies, and one of the primary benefits of having a game disc is that nobody can take it away. With digital releases, the consumer only owns the title so long as the distributor doesn't go out of business or arbitrarily decide to stop hosting the download. We have yet to see this happen, but it's not outside the realm of possibility, and the consequences would be substantial. If Steam disappeared tomorrow, most people would lose their entire game libraries since very few people keep digital backups of every title they buy. But it would also include any physical media that rely on the digital version to run. It would be a hustle of epic proportions, despite the lawsuits that would inevitably ensue.

Image credit: Mighty Ape

Permalink to story.

It was symbolic for a good while anyway, games these days receive 30 GB day 1 patches, so I wouldn't call physical discs "complete" no matter what.

It's unfortunate, once these stores are shut down, these (then) legacy consoles will inevitably become toxic waste, even if they're perfectly functional otherwise.

Sony was already threatening us with the PS3 store shutdown, but eventually backed down due to public backlash. For the players or something.

There should be a way to burn these games onto physical media during a grace period before such shutdowns. If you have the game with yourself (either as a disc or as a digital license), it grabs the full installer and the latest patches, and there you have it, you can play it till eternity. Shouldn't be very hard to implement, it's literally the same procedure as when you download the game onto the console. The only difference is the target media.

Or give us downloadable patches which we can install from a USB drive. But I doubt any of this will happen, because remember, for the players.

These large downloads are what keep me from picking up newer games. Sadly I'm still stuck behind a data cap with my ISP. 155GB, that's 15% of my monthly data. With almost everything being streamed these days my family can easily hit 85% (on average) of our monthly data and even come very close to 100% when the kids aren't in school for summer vacation.

I'm not chancing the extra charges for going over the data cap to download a single game that's 150+GB. I'd gladly pay the $60 or so for a physical copy that has the complete game and any downloads/patches/upgrades needed for the game can come from online, I'm okay with that.

Bring back the days of physical copies that aren't tied to some shotty online DRM platform and I'd be content like a pig in mud. I know that won't happen, but I can dream.

Downloadable patches were a big thing.

At least make the GOTY edition fully playable offline for non multiple player games

Every potentially good thing the industry learns get misused and abused. I know money is the end game but now it's just a crutch

Games released bug free? Never once, in the history of gaming, has that been the case. Every single game ever released is littered with bugs and glitches. Proportionally related to their complexity, games are no worse now than they ever were.

This screaming that games are incomplete/unfinished in recent times is utter hogwash.

WTF indeed.

If EA had made these available for free or a symbolic sale at 99¢ at 7-11 like those prepaid SIM card packages which require further payments later for full usage, would have made a good sales pitch for EA.

And instead of investing in DVDs, just put in a promo code card at 5% off or something inside to boost sales.

Games released bug free? Never once, in the history of gaming, has that been the case. Every single game ever released is littered with bugs and glitches.
Have you ever played a game on a console that didn't connect to the internet?

I don't believe it was size or complexity of games that cause such sloppy releases. It was the internet. It made it easy to release garbage and just patch in the field.

Have you ever played a game on a console that didn't connect to the internet?

I don't believe it was size or complexity of games that cause such sloppy releases. It was the internet. It made it easy to release garbage and just patch in the field.
Yes, I have. I've been gaming since video gaming was ever a thing. People have some seriously rose-tinted glasses. Perhaps to the point of being painted, instead of tinted so they are blind to reality. It is indisputable fact that every single game ever released is riddled with bugs and glitches. There are zero exceptions. Glitches and bugs are inherent in software. Regardless of how complex it is. Games now are no worse than they ever have been, just larger and more complex.

"Forget about playing the game if you don't have internet access"

so on the venn diagram of people who have a powerful pc or current gen console, want to play a triple A graphically intense game, but dont have internet access (!). my calculations say approximately...carry the 2...6. six people worldwide.

"the consumer only owns the title so long as the distributor doesn't go out of business or arbitrarily decide to stop hosting the download. We have yet to see this happen, but it's not outside the realm of possibility, and the consequences would be substantial."

Oh godddd this little diatribe is so tirrrreddd. What is wrong with people? ITS A VIDEO GAME. If ppl only cared a tenth this much about the crappy politicians you elect!

but just as a first attack, have you ever heard of disc rot? the idea that you own a game long term is false to begin with. hell I have crysis on some IGN digital service from 15 years ago, and I'd be willing to be against all odds I can still download it today, if I wanted too. whereas I assume the physical disc version might be crapping out by now.

"the consumer only owns the title so long as the distributor doesn't go out of business or arbitrarily decide to stop hosting the download. We have yet to see this happen, but it's not outside the realm of possibility, and the consequences would be substantial."

Oh godddd this little diatribe is so tirrrreddd. What is wrong with people? ITS A VIDEO GAME. If ppl only cared a tenth this much about the crappy politicians you elect!

but just as a first attack, have you ever heard of disc rot? the idea that you own a game long term is false to begin with. hell I have crysis on some IGN digital service from 15 years ago, and I'd be willing to be against all odds I can still download it today, if I wanted too. whereas I assume the physical disc version might be crapping out by now.
You have never owned a game, period. Not how software works. You purchase a license to use the software, which can be revoked at any time with no refund offered. You own absolutely nothing. Also, disc rot takes a LOT longer than that, and it is highly dependent on how well your discs are taken care of. My discs from over 20 years ago operate like the day I purchased them.

I don't have a problem with digital, but I'm not everyone. The last physical copies I bought were BFBC2, BF3 and Crysis 2 on PC.

I'm pretty sure that EA and any other ultra-greedy big video game company push this argument "The game is to big, so it wont fit on a BluRay disc, therefore it must come in digital format" bloat the textures, audio and video files to extra large sizes specifically for this purpose.

If they want to release X game on disc they could by compressing the assets to decent degree, *then if you wanted those extra large ones you could download them trough the in game option, like they did it on PS360 era.

Last edited:
We need better compression, or they simply need to compress their games. There's actually someone that does it on the pirating scene and she can shrink games to half their size or more.

This is bad practice.
Video game collectors are basically done. This is WEF "you will own nothing and you will be happy".

I've got physical games from 25 years ago on CD that still work, even though the discs are all scratched to hel| (that's another story for another time because I treat my physical copies very well).

Also, the great thing about a disc is that you can even make .iso of them so you don't need to swap the discs in and out of the drive or jewel cases. I really need to pick up a couple of 2TB drives so I can make .iso of all my physical games (1 drive for use and the other for backup).

The only downside to older, physical copies for games is the trouble it takes to get the games to run on newer OS versions or the fact that the game may not run at all without using an older OS. DOSBox helps with the DOS based games I have and a handful of games won't run on Windows 10, but I can get them to run on Windows 7 or older. Some of them don't take much other than having the most up-to-date patch (which could be a patch that was released 10+ years ago, so you have to know where to look or you needed to save the patches from back in the day - which I did) for the game to allow functionality for 64bit OS and others take a lot of hoops to jump through to get the game to run.

Physical copies of older games that I've gotten to work on Windows 10 that I can think of off the top of my head:
  • Freelancer
  • Riddick - Escape from Butcher's Bay
  • Dungeon Siege + expansion for it
  • FarCry
  • Diablo 2
  • Fallout 1 & 2
  • Wizardy 8
  • Brothers In Arms: Road to Hill 30
  • Brothers In Arms: Earned in Blood
  • Crysis
  • The Lord of the Rings - War in the North (this game requires EA servers to verify the game key, but the servers for the verification on this game no longer exist. However it can be bypassed with a couple of .dll files placed in the correct folders.)

I've got a few more that I've got installed and running, but can't recall what they are off the top of my head and I'm not at home right now to look.

I'd rather have physical copies of games without any kind of link to a crappy digital DRM (platform such as Origin, Steam, EGS, etc) and play them when I want and not be at the mercy of a developer's servers being offline and preventing the game from running (see my note about the LotR game above) without jumping through hoops. But, if I need to jump through hoops to get a physical copy to run, I'd take that any day over a game being locked to a digital platform.

One reasonable argument I could figure is someone who has the unfortunate situation of living in an area, where their one ISP doesn't have unlimited service. For me personally, I'd much rather download the game then have the disc/disk for one reason: read speeds on optical drives are dismal. Back when games were actually played from the disk/disc, with no 'install' that's a different story, but that story is long behind us..........

The easy (not really) answer is get yourself some unlimited internet, and toss those discs out the damn window. *I keed I keed, those of you without unlimited internet, you have my sympathies*

I like having the physical media but would not have the space for all the games I have on steam - nevermind all the other platforms. What I've never understood is why digital versions are always sold at the same price as physical discs - the latter is much more costly to produce.....

One reasonable argument I could figure is someone who has the unfortunate situation of living in an area, where their one ISP doesn't have unlimited service. For me personally, I'd much rather download the game then have the disc/disk for one reason: read speeds on optical drives are dismal. Back when games were actually played from the disk/disc, with no 'install' that's a different story, but that story is long behind us..........

The easy (not really) answer is get yourself some unlimited internet, and toss those discs out the damn window. *I keed I keed, those of you without unlimited internet, you have my sympathies*
Create an .iso and then you're simply at the mercy of the speed of your drive/ram/cpu. Granted, making the .iso can be a bit time consuming for larger games on discs or ones with multiple discs, but once you're done you never have to worry about it again.

Digital isn't an issue for most people, as you say, that have good internet, but that's not the end all of it. Data caps suck and many people, even with good internet speeds are stuck behind them. Even though during the forced covid lock downs when many people worked from home and kids did the awful remote learning, companies like Comcast/Xfinity removed the datacap, there was zero impact on the users' end with slowdowns. After about 2 years without a datacap, they were put back in place.....the datacaps are just an artificial limiter to control people and gouge them for more money.

Xfinity tells people that 99% of their customers never exceed the data cap....that's because no one wants to pay the extra $5 or $10 for every 50GB over the data cap, so they pull back and really reduce the internet usage. That's what I do with my family - we usually hit 85% of our monthly data cap around day 24 of the month, then I have to remind everyone to limit their internet use or I just block their devices from the internet.

Xfinity does offer unlimited data in my area, but only if I where to change plans (which would cost $30 more than what I'm paying now for a similar plan, not to mention the price increase after 2 years because of the "contract" pricing) and rent their equipment (last time I rented any modem from Comcast - which was 10+ years ago now - it was a $10 monthly fee). That's at least $40 more a month, which will turn into $60-75 more a month after the 2 year contract period.

Xfinity claims they allow unlimited data to be purchased as an add on for your account for $30, but they don't offer that deal in my area, even though I can get unlimited data if I change over to using their crap and sign a "new contract". What a load of crap.

I'd jump to CenturyLink for my area - they appear to offer about 1GB download and I think upload (or maybe it's 100MB upload) with unlimited data, but everyone I've talked to that used them said their internet connection for our area sucks. A lot of drops and heavy slowdowns and most of those people ended up leaving them for Xfinity....

Cool, but I have been gaming ever since it involved changing plastic overlays on the TV, and I don't recall any game breaking bugs until connectivity was pretty much a necessity. Maybe the XB360\PS3 era.

Oh really? Well, let's start simple. Atari Football, you could throw the ball, run the opposite way, and catch your own throw. Advance time a little bit here to Ninja Gaiden, losing to any of the three last bosses sends the player back to the 6th level, a bug that was intentionally left in. Zelda II if you use the fairy spell off screen it makes the entire game unbeatable and you have to start over with a new game.

Super Mario Brothers 3, airship level, random chance of the ship disappearing and making the game unbeatable. Original Super Mario Brothers, if you somehow jumped over the pole and ended up off screen the level would become unbeatable and you'd have to wait out the timer. Super Mario Brothers 3, again, if the hammer bros end up on a card game spot on the map, they get stuck there and block progress.

How about we move forward to a semi-newer era. Pretty much every console that used memory cards had random chances of save files becoming corrupt during just saving your game. Final Fantasy series from the PS1 era had constant bugs. FF7 specifically had character stats that didn't function on release.

Move forward to even newer games from the PS3 era. GTA V wouldn't even install the game from disc on a selection of the discs released. It got so bad the publisher would exchange the discs.

These are just the ones that come to mind on their own. You suffer from the same problem as a lot of other gamers. You CHOOSE not to see the truth. I could go on endlessly about this, especially with a little research. There has NEVER been a piece of software, game or otherwise, that isn't riddled with bugs and glitches. There are zero exceptions. Games today are just exponentially bigger and more complex, that is the only difference.

Create an .iso and then you're simply at the mercy of the speed of your drive/ram/cpu. Granted, making the .iso can be a bit time consuming for larger games on discs or ones with multiple discs, but once you're done you never have to worry about it again.

Digital isn't an issue for most people, as you say, that have good internet, but that's not the end all of it. Data caps suck and many people, even with good internet speeds are stuck behind them. Even though during the forced covid lock downs when many people worked from home and kids did the awful remote learning, companies like Comcast/Xfinity removed the datacap, there was zero impact on the users' end with slowdowns. After about 2 years without a datacap, they were put back in place.....the datacaps are just an artificial limiter to control people and gouge them for more money.

Xfinity tells people that 99% of their customers never exceed the data cap....that's because no one wants to pay the extra $5 or $10 for every 50GB over the data cap, so they pull back and really reduce the internet usage. That's what I do with my family - we usually hit 85% of our monthly data cap around day 24 of the month, then I have to remind everyone to limit their internet use or I just block their devices from the internet.

Xfinity does offer unlimited data in my area, but only if I where to change plans (which would cost $30 more than what I'm paying now for a similar plan, not to mention the price increase after 2 years because of the "contract" pricing) and rent their equipment (last time I rented any modem from Comcast - which was 10+ years ago now - it was a $10 monthly fee). That's at least $40 more a month, which will turn into $60-75 more a month after the 2 year contract period.

Xfinity claims they allow unlimited data to be purchased as an add on for your account for $30, but they don't offer that deal in my area, even though I can get unlimited data if I change over to using their crap and sign a "new contract". What a load of crap.

I'd jump to CenturyLink for my area - they appear to offer about 1GB download and I think upload (or maybe it's 100MB upload) with unlimited data, but everyone I've talked to that used them said their internet connection for our area sucks. A lot of drops and heavy slowdowns and most of those people ended up leaving them for Xfinity....
I've had CenturyLink, which used to be called CenturyTel, in my area for decades. Their service has always been awful and they don't offer those speeds. Their service is DSL and it is incapable of those speeds. They have a fiber service now that can reach those speeds, but that is ONLY if you have access to their fiber connections, which the overwhelming majority of people do not. Literally every single major competitor they have offers multi-gig service on their fiber for the same price or slightly higher. I've worked with them on a personal and professional level, they are absolutely awful. Complete incompetence.

Oh really? Well, let's start simple. Atari Football, you could throw the ball, run the opposite way, and catch your own throw. Advance time a little bit here to Ninja Gaiden, losing to any of the three last bosses sends the player back to the 6th level, a bug that was intentionally left in. Zelda II if you use the fairy spell off screen it makes the entire game unbeatable and you have to start over with a new game.

Super Mario Brothers 3, airship level, random chance of the ship disappearing and making the game unbeatable. Original Super Mario Brothers, if you somehow jumped over the pole and ended up off screen the level would become unbeatable and you'd have to wait out the timer. Super Mario Brothers 3, again, if the hammer bros end up on a card game spot on the map, they get stuck there and block progress.

How about we move forward to a semi-newer era. Pretty much every console that used memory cards had random chances of save files becoming corrupt during just saving your game. Final Fantasy series from the PS1 era had constant bugs. FF7 specifically had character stats that didn't function on release.

Move forward to even newer games from the PS3 era. GTA V wouldn't even install the game from disc on a selection of the discs released. It got so bad the publisher would exchange the discs.

These are just the ones that come to mind on their own. You suffer from the same problem as a lot of other gamers. You CHOOSE not to see the truth. I could go on endlessly about this, especially with a little research. There has NEVER been a piece of software, game or otherwise, that isn't riddled with bugs and glitches. There are zero exceptions. Games today are just exponentially bigger and more complex, that is the only difference.
Ok so you are going to pick a few games? And that proves ALL games have never been....... what?

And I am curious if you realize how extremely rare most of your examples are.

Ok so you are going to pick a few games? And that proves ALL games have never been....... what?

And I am curious if you realize how extremely rare most of your examples are.
So, you'd like me to list every piece of software ever made, and it's list of bugs/glitches to make my point? How about Chrono Trigger, getting stuck in a wall? Yoshi's island, falling back to level one? Secret of Evermore, losing the windwalker? Super Punch Out!!, game freezing? Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past data corruption issues? Glitches and bugs in games are not rare. Games today, factually do not have more bugs or glitches than games in the past, proportionate to their size and complexity. It doesn't matter what you think or feel about the matter, it's the truth. All games have game-breaking bugs/glitches, zero exceptions. The claim that games lack quality control today is utter bull. The quality control today is on a level that older games couldn't even dream of.

Just because you don't LIKE a game, doesn't mean it's bad or unfinished.

Back